Tire choice

Mac

Lifetime Sponsor
The S12 is a great mud tire and lasts pretty long too. I think it has to do with the "cupped" knobs, you'll see what I mean when you get yours.

Just remember, dunlop 110/100 = Michelin 130/80

The dunlop D755 is a great mud tire for the front if you can find one.

my rear is a michelin m12. i ride soft sand pit,hardpack woods trails with mud holes and rocky sharp ledge trails. i would give the tire a 9. it wears very well, and climbs like you would not believe. the only weak spot is smooth slippery surfaces...like crossing wet board bridges covered with leaves. i spilled once doing that. i think it is because the tread blocks are very large. it is uni-directional, so reversing it is out. the tire is good enough that i would not even consider trying a different type rear.it is going into its third season and is still very healthy looking.
front is(was) a pirelli mt 44. chunks badly on rocky ledge trail riding. sand performance is above average.overall i would give it a 7. you will definately only get one season out of it. it is a little scary on trails made up of small round crushed stone. did not like this tire. i just put on a irc ve35 enduro front. no runs on it yet.

Braahp

Subscriber
All you guys get some amazing wear out of your tires. No matter what the brand I go through about 4 rear tires a year.

go with the kenda, they wear very well and have very good traction in all conditions. And as was also said the price is very good. paid $52.00 cdn for the last one i bought.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Go with a dunlop 756 or a 773. Dunlops seem to last the longest, and have awesome traction. Either one you choose will last you a long time in any riding conditions. :worship:

eldrm

Subscriber
kenda millvilles front and back worked great for me,nice price, good in mud and rocks.

Maxxis

Get some Maxxis tires off of Rocky Mountain ATV. Superfast shipping!!! oh my goodness!! I love that place.

ANyways - TIRES

I went with the stock size front 80/100x21 Maxxis SurCross
its a soft terrain tire and bites nicely in sand, loam, dirt. Havent tried rocks yet.

Iron for the Rear 110/100x18 Maxxis IT fantastic all around tire.

The best part is that the tires together were Around $90 shipped ( i think) RM ATV/MC has many others to chose from but Maxxis seem to be the best bang for the buck

KTA

I'm an S-12 fan too! Have them front and rear, way better than the dunlops I've had in the past.

Alot of the guys in my area are using the IRC Ve series tires. Right now I'm running with Dunlops and will be giving the IRC a try this spring.

Powerlock25 said:
I went with the stock size front 80/100x21 Maxxis SurCross
its a soft terrain tire and bites nicely in sand, loam, dirt. Havent tried rocks yet.

Iron for the Rear 110/100x18 Maxxis IT fantastic all around tire.
I'm running that same combo also and absolutly love it.

Ran the Maxxis IT 100/100-18 and was wholly unimpressed. Lots of rocks, sand and cactus (rarely a root though) here in AZ. The rear was scatey for the first 3 rides and was worn out by the 7 ride. Plus it weighs a ton.

I ran the Maxxis SI in the front and really liked it. Works great in the sand as well as on the rocks. Held up ok...after all it is a soft terrain tire. I liked it enough to put another one on.

Currently I'm running the Maxxis SI up front and a 110/100-18 Metzler MC6 tire in the rear. After 3 rides on the MC6, I like it. Works great in the rocks as well as the sand. It's wearing much better than the Maxxis and the Dunlops I've tried.

Next time I think I'll try the Metzler MC4 up front and the Kenda Carlsbad on the rear. Although, you guys and your Michelin talk have got me curious. May have to run a s12/m12 combo and see what happens.

Not sure if this helped anyone, but I was able to kill another 15 minutes. Only 12 minutes more until the DAKAR on OLN.

Later
Robb

I've got about 75mi. on a Maxxis IT 110/100-18 Rear and love it. It is wearing great too. I just installed an IT front (stock size) but have yet to ride it. The Maxxis are cost effective from RockyMtn. but there shipping is a little slow for me in TN.

Mac

Lifetime Sponsor
Braahp said:
All you guys get some amazing wear out of your tires. No matter what the brand I go through about 4 rear tires a year.
Too much wheelspin?? Try a FWW lol.

I'll be lucky to get 250-300 miles outta my rear s12. I run a 773 up front--best front tire I've ever had. The s12 hooks up great, it just doesn't last very long