KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
my dad just told me that the land was all finished and cleared for his new building for his buisness. the cleared area for the business takes up about 2 acres maybe a little bit more and then there are somewhere around six for me to make a track on. I also have somewhere in the neighbor hood of 2400-2500 cubic yards of top soil,dirt and gravel at my disposal. now all i need is some help designing a track. the area has a flat area at the bottom towards the tolland agrocultural centers land and then there is a little bit of a hill going up to where all of the buildings and things are going. the shape of the land that i have is something like a D only it is longer in the parts that are horizontal if the letter is right side up. i mean that is only a rough description but enough so you guys know what it looks like. there are some trees and stuff but i have a chain saw and my dad might log the land and sell the logs to one of the companies he buys lumber from or something. anyway any ideas, paint pictures or advice and things of that nature are welcome. i have searched about track design and looked at over head ariel photos but i am just curious what you guys think

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You might actually save yourself some money by having a professional do it right.

Drainage, erosion, proportions, even angles for sunlight are all things a real track builder will take into consideration when laying it out for you. They'll cost, but they'll use a lot less time on the equipment than you likely would and with a better result.

Call around to some of the tracks and ask if they know of someone who does that professionally. I don't know if he goes that far north, but many of the tracks in the southeast use Greg Cole. You could get his number from Barbara at TNT, http://tntmotorsportsinc.com

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
Do it yourself or have a local mx nut do it. You can probably have the track done for free with the promise of free riding for the builder. Lots of guys have dozers and the knowledge to put together a great track. Just remember the things Gomer mentioned, drainage, erosion and sun angles. It will take time and fussing to get it right, but you can do it.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Does anyone know of any software for taking a survey and designing a track on it?

Also, any advice on understanding simple dimensions like how much space out of a turn before a jump, how tight the turns should be etc?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My email's kinda flaky...did you get my email response a couple days ago?

I think dirtwurx has suggestions on their site, but it is for real SX tracks.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
High Lord, thanks I did get your email. We've found a guy a couple of hours from here that has experience (as you suggested) to help us. I thought I'd ask a few more questions though to get some ideas ready. We have 2 acres cleared, and about 5-10 thousand yards of clay/dirt (I don't know how much yet because we're getting it for free).

Thanks again for the help, I'll check out dirtwurx.

Top Bottom