ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Quick question: It was 60 today, and I put in a fresh plug, did a throttle chop test, found that it's running PERFECT at current settings. If it's going to be 30-something degrees outside, should I mess with the jetting, maybe go up one size, and up a clip on the needle, or should I just leave it alone?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Why take a chance on jetting? Go up one size to be safe. Do the pilot as well - or at least clip - you wont spend lots of time on the main on a 500, particularly on the "event trail" we will be riding.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I did the math by following this website: http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm
It intimates that if it's 60, and we'll be riding in 30-50 degree weather, I'll probably want to drop one clip position on the needle and go up one jet size. My pilot jet is already too big; I've been meaning to fix that.

You are right about WOT though - I've been chasing a breakup on the top-end of the throttle most of the summer, and didn't figure it out until today. The reason is that when on the trails, I haven't ever had a chance to use full-throttle except when on the roads to & from the trail. The 500's simply got more guts than I have. The problem turned out to be in the spark plug which had about 24 hours on it.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
TCTrailrider said:
Don't pay to much attention to the weatherman. They change daily up North. My forecast is high of 46, mostly cloudy with a brief shower or two. Sounds pretty good to me.

I'm holding You to that Denny :nod:

Dave Leathers.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
D.LEATHERS said:
I'm holding You to that Denny :nod:

Dave Leathers.

Denny is "the mayor" and it's his responsibility to help the local economy prosper......... :nod:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
My forecast is high of 46, mostly cloudy with a brief shower or two.

Sounds like a Chamber of Commerce weather report! I think 4" of snow would make things real interesting. :nod:

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
You guys have fun! Wish I could make it!

Attachments

• ridesnow.jpg
    ridesnow.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 244

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I put the snow lens in the goggles tonight, rain-X on the outside, anti-fog on the inside.
Everything's packed & I head out at 6:30 AM to meet the diehards.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Another great Trailfest. A little rain when we were inside the fire station having lunch. Over 100 riders, great trail, company and food. See you next year.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Wow, I marvel at how everyone made trailfest look effortless! I look with envy at those who got to ride the section after the fire station. That five mile "AA" woods section entirely kicked my butt, and I'm going to figure out a way to modify my bike for next year's events. The way I see it, all I need to do is:

1) Chop four inches off my handlebars so I don't whack so many saplings.
2) Chop out three hundred cc's of motor
3) Lose 40 pounds of bike mass. (remove the seat & fill the frame with helium?)

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
That was an AA section?? Now you tell me! :bang: It wasn't too bad actually except for the bike eating swamp half way through it!!

Had a great time even though I missed the morning part of it and thanks so much for all the time and effort that goes into putting these rides together. Very much appreciated! :worship:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
WS6 - nice to meet you. Give your self some more saddle time - you went from riding wide easy ORV trail, to riding event trail - ride ride ride! And yes...cut down those bars!

Stacey - I am glad you made it at least for the bit you did. I know Mark and I both had a great time.

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
ws6transam said:
Wow, I marvel at how everyone made trailfest look effortless! I look with envy at those who got to ride the section after the fire station. That five mile "AA" woods section entirely kicked my butt, and I'm going to figure out a way to modify my bike for next year's events. The way I see it, all I need to do is:

1) Chop four inches off my handlebars so I don't whack so many saplings.
2) Chop out three hundred cc's of motor
3) Lose 40 pounds of bike mass. (remove the seat & fill the frame with helium?)

This was a good way for you to see event trail. I hope you liked it.
If you continue to ride this stuff, upgrading to a more woods friendly bike would make it much more enjoyable.
I like your list. My #1 on my list should be
1. Lose 40 lbs of rider mass!
But I really like those Freddy burgers.

Have you rode any of the Family Enduros yet? Those are a good way to get aqainted with the enduro timkeeping. Fun to ride also.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
This should cut the rider field in half.

Thanks to everyone who came to Trailfest. It was another great event. I am not sure if we could have handled 220 riders, but the 110 diehards seemed to enjoy themselves.

A big thank you to the Moorestown Fire Department for lunch and Freddie/Wyatt for dinner.

Mike

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I am hoping to try a few FES events next year, for sure.

However,

I just discovered that I left my umbrella on one of the picnic tables at the camp--
It's a blue & white umbrella with "BFGoodrich" on it. Kind of dirty, sort of ratty, but I've taken it to every automotive event since 1992 and I'm rather attached to it.

Has anyone seen it?

Top Bottom