Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Sounds like you're having a great time with the new toy, Strick!
Just wondering a couple of things... I've a '00 300EXC now and really like it for the riding we do here in MI/WI/MN with the stock gearing (and VForce,CEK needle, and FMF Gnarly pipe), what gearing do you think will bring your 400 back to "better woods gearing?" I'm not certain, but I believe the '02 300EXC and 400EXC (and MXC) models will be coming with the "old" forks, not the new 48's -- how do you think the SX suspension will be in tighter woods conditions? I'm concerned it may be too harsh in more technical terrain?
I'm thinking of keeping the 300 another year unless the '02 EXC suspensions get upgraded to the 48's, or perhaps if there is a BIG improvement to be had by going to the 400SX to get the 48's (and can tame it a bit... 72 mph with a gear to go is a bit much for the MI woods!). I've never owned a 4 stroke, and really have no experience with them...but I believe they're the way we're going in the sport (as long as we can keep the noise down on them), so I guess eventually I'll need to switch.
I appreciate your thoughts!

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Hey Strick thanks for the info...I decided to wait on a 250 exc...very tough decision. And thank you very much for the needle, I got it today.
Regards
Gary

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Strick

Garyb - you're welcome!

Scott - $6498

Magoo - I think gearing will make the bike woods friendly. Although If I rode trees I would look more closely at the exc, because 1st & 2nd gears are lower. This suspension will work well anywhere, IMO. This 400sx handles much better than my 300!

Four Strokes do take some getting used to though. A couple of my riding buddies say I am noticably faster on this 400 than my 300. Riding whoops is where I see the biggest difference. Right now much easier on a 2-stroke.

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
Hey Strick,
Congrats on the new ride...did you consider the 520? I ride in your neck of the woods quite a bit, it would seem you could use that power...we're both coming from 300's, I'm still trying to decide between the two? There is a part of me that's afraid the 400 wouldn't seem as strong as the 300. Am I way off base here?

You've got to recommend some spots to ride out your way, Reno seems to have a hundred different places...

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Scott, ever ridden a 380? I owned one for about a year. Too much power for me. That is why the 520 was out. I do not need 52hp! The 400 is very sweet. I have a little dialing to do to the jetting and gearing, but I'll bet I can already do anything on this that I can on my 300. The 300 gets nasty quicker though! But on top the 300 can go about 75 mph or so. The 400 is in the 90+ range!

You are right Reno has 100 places to ride within 30-40 miles. E-mail me and I can meet you up here. Then you could ride the 400 for a while. Just let me know!

z20ate

Jun 18, 2001
Hey Strick,

Put a 13t counter shaft on it, I put one on my 400 MXC and like the low end better plus you still have 6st gear for top end... I also race in the dez (District 37, hare scrambles, enduro) and think this gearing will help, let me know what you think.

Steve

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
13t - That's the equivalent to 4t in the rear. I have a feeling that is too much of a jump for me. I'll go 2 up on the back first.

I am rejetting the bike before I change the gearing though. The 400 is way too fat stock.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I just installed a 165 main, EMN needle (#3), P-38 lightning accelerator plate. I will let you know the results when I can take her out again. I don't know where you are in CA, but I am probably at a higher altitude.

z20ate

Jun 18, 2001
I'm in Santa Clarita (southern cal) but ride in the dez. so about 2000-2500 ft. I've been holding back on the change because I saw a lot of different results on the "James Dean" post and don't want to keep making changes. Hope you had good results...
Put a skid plate on, it sure increases the motor noise but better then busting a case through the rocks. First race coming up at end of Sept. (D37). This will be the first one on the 400. I've been testing and it appears that using the elec. start is slower then kicking for the bomb run, have you done this yet?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
My next race is 9/30. I have the SX though, so no button. Once the bike is at operating temperature, like while you are on the line. I would think the e-start would be the bomb on the bomb;)

I installed a skid plate and shark fin before the 1st ride. After that ride I had already badly creased the flywheel side. Boy, am I glad I did!!

Top Bottom