Way to go Strick.....

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Congradulations on the new bike.... I was looking at one a couple days ago, and I have to say they are a very tough looking bike. Amazing how narrow they are. I have ridden a 01 400 SX quite a bit and I think you will be very happy with it.... They feel very very light, turn awsome and have a nice wide powerband with plenty of oompphh... You will absolutly fall in love with the 48's They are awsome as well.... im glad to hear you opted for the orange bike again... Nobody makes em like KTM Nobody..... It blows my mind the japs are not putting juice clutches on their bikes yet..... This is gonna be one hell of a year for KTM. ....

Now when you gonna give us a ride report.........

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by 380EXCman
Congradulations on the new bike....
Now when you gonna give us a ride report.........
Thanks V-

I am going to give 'er the 3 - hour break-in ride tomorrow with a friend and his son (so there is be no opportunity to really get into it). A full blown association ride will be Sunday. I will be reporting back.

p.s. I've owned the bike less than 18hours, and the Bridgestones are gone!!!

KiwiBird

Lifetime Sponsor
Way to go Strick! Although I was hoping you would get the Honda, I would have had the same reservations as you so completely understand. And the waiting would have killed me too. I was suprised how easy the RFS kicked over so I doubt you'll notice the lack of button.

So, does this mean you'll be coming down to Jawbone at Thanksgiving with your crew?

We need a full right up on this thing Strick. I'm thinking the 400 SX may be my next bike as well, but maybe not for another year or so. That Honda is mighty nice looking, but I've got many of the same thoughts on bikes that it appears you do. Let us know how it goes.

Congratulations, Strick! Awesome purchase and now you've got the best of both worlds with the 300 and the thumper. Please give a write-up comparing the performance of the 400 to your 300. I, for one, am very curious about that, being a 300 MXC rider but forever partial to four-strokes.

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
Break in ride

Three hours of no more than 1/2 throttle and I was still impressed.

1st the bad things:
-Graphics are all ready peeling (I grip the tank really hard with my Knees, my '99 graphics are worn through too -it's because I'm scared!)
-Jetted rich for my altitude

Good things
-Forks
-Shock
-Suspension
-the best sprung bike I have ever ridden
-Gobs of grunt
-extremely quick revving
-Suspension
-great front brake
-ONE KICK STARTS
-Forks
-very thin (actually paper thin)
-platforms for footpegs (very nice)
-rear shock
-very light weight, and feels even lighter!
-turns much better than my 300
-Suspension

Can you tell I am REALLY impressed with the suspension? I had never imagined a bike can take rocks the way this bike can. So stable when jumping. Very predicatable out of corners. What whoops!. Have you ever noticed how true Grant langston is through the whoops. I know why - those 48mm WP forks - OMG!

I am going for a real ride, now that I have 'er broken in, on Sunday. I will post more info. after that ride.

I do also want to emphasize that this bike is as easy to start as my 300! Literally one kick starts all day long, and I am not used to kicking a 4-stroke! I did stall the bike in a corner when riding some pretty tight single track, the bike was pretty hot, and it took me 3 kicks that time. Oh well!

It is so easy to go fast on a bike with power this smooth, and a suspension this good.:D

fremontguy

Lifetime Sponsor
Rub it in Strick:) Sounds like night and day comparison with Xr400.

CC_RIDER

Lifetime Sponsor
Re: Re: Way to go Strick.....

Originally posted by Strick

I've owned the bike less than 18hours, and the Bridgestones are gone!!!
Wow! those Bridgestones really are soft if they wear out sitting in the garage overnight! ;)

Did you trade them in, or do you still have them?

I'm orange with envy. Your bike sounds awesome.

Lets see now,....what have I got that I can sell..... :think

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
CC rider: Those stock Bridgestone are flat dangerous! I traded them at my local bike shop two for one, with free mounting. I'm not complaining - Give me my Michelin's!

Garyb: I can let you know tomorrow night the top speed. I am mounting my newly arrived Panoram Computer (from Trailtech.net) in just a few minutes. Now that the bike is broken in I feel comfortable letting it out now. I can tell you, my 300mxc dead stock was 72mph. It has since been modifed somewhat!

Did I mention anything about the suspension on the '02 SX?:confused:

Strick,

It sounds like the bike is realy easy to start.

This is intriguing as NOT all four strokes NEED electric starters. I have a VOR 503 and it too is a one kick affair. I sold my Husky 360 and I would love a 4-stroke trail bike. The KTM EXC would be perfect but it sounds like I don't need the e-start with that bike. I lifted both bikes in the showroom and the EXC was noticeably heavier. Maybe out riding I would not notice it, but if I think I am noticing it . . . Well you get the idea.

How would you rate the SX for trails? My specific concerns are: 1)Noise (I HATE those YZ/WR's that are on the trails); 2)Suspension too stiff for trails perhaps; 3)Fuel range, unless both bikes have the same size tank.

Thanks for any tips.

Greg M