cicone

Sep 29, 2003
got a decent ride in on the new CDI, but very difficult to start.
does anyone know what voltage i should read at the red/white stator coil wire with an analog voltmeter? don't think i'm getting enough juice to trigger the capacitor on the cdi to charge and discharge?? when i crank it by hand with the plug out, i'm reading about 50 volts AC---sounds a little low?? anyone??? :think: was getting a faint spark last night, but now don't see one at all.

Last edited:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
scratch that last post----just tested the ac output of the stator coil via a very firm kick. analog voltmeter set at 50 AC and my reading is 30 volts max----on a new electrex coil that tests at approximately 405 ohm. I'm stumped---can it be that i've had a couple af bad coils? maybe some sort of high voltage short in the wires coming out of the stator?? Carver, Jag, Jason??
I'm sure it'll bump start---just not enough juice with a kickstart to get her going.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think the manual states 370 ohm to be max. At 405 you may have too much. But I am not sure if that is related. Have you tested your spark coil? You do have to take it off the bike to do the two tests.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Is the air gap on the trigger coil adjustable? Try closing the air gap a little at a time. Sometimes you have to slot the mounting holes to allow adjustment. I have found this to work on several machines that were hard/no starts and very boggy on the low end yet fine in mid to top end. The gap WAS within spec, but closing the gap solved the problem. I don't know if this will help, but it has worked for me on several units that tested OK but ran terrible.

Top Bottom