What is the best state to live in for riding??

Speedstyle

Jul 5, 2000
In your opinion what is an offroad rider's paradise? What state has the most trails, most variety, open trails? Where would you like to live for riding?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Yeh, Arizona is cool! You've got desert- oh yeah, we got that here in Cali!; you've got woods- yep, we've got that too; MX tracks- I don't know how you guys are fixed for that, but So-cal is the nations capital; hmmm... how about beaches? Yep, we still have one place where you can legally ride on the beach! Maybe you guys have a lake beach?
Not bagging on you guys, as I've only driven through parts of Arizona, and I'm sure there's some very scenic places to go on 2 wheels, I'm just funnin' ya for the sake of argument.;)

kx125racer

Feb 21, 2000
I consider Tennessee to be a great riding paradise. We have from wide open logging roads trails that go on for miles to extremely tight single track that is up there with the New England type tight trails. Lots of riding areas to choose from, all charge for riding but not excessive. We ride in all seasons also. There are always mx and hare scramble races going on and many club rides and family events. I could go to an organized ride every weekend if I wanted. Also, we have mountains and flatlands, offcamber stuff to scenic overlooks. I really love the riding here. We have no beaches though and not many fruits. Just a bunch of good ol' country folk.

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Possibly my take on Arizona is not a good example, since I am in the land that weather forgot. But, I miss those Missouri trees, mud, mountians, mud, grass, creeks (with water and mud). Don't get me wrong I love the fact that I can ride almost anywhere I see a good spot and I do have alot of fun, but everything out here is real loose sand mixed with less loose sand. And, of course anything different is at least three hours drive.:scream:

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
I would say Michigan. We have 3200miles of marked trails and 1 trail that is 750 miles long. They range from tight singletrack to wide open two track.

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
Ohio, a riding paradise?? I'll admit that there are some good places to ride, but it's usually muddy and you have to drive pretty far. I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I have to believe there are better places.

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
hey kx125racer...

what part of Tennessee do you live in? I live in Gallatin, just east of Nashville. I've been looking for some riding buddies and also some good places to ride. If you are close enough maybe we could hook up sometime.

KaTMandoo

kx125racer

Feb 21, 2000
I live in Antioch. We usually go riding at Linton, LBL, Green Acres MX track, Westpoint, or private riding ground. So most weekends, we have a place to go. I will put you on the MTDR mailing list for our club. MTDR is Middle Tennessee Dirt Riders. We meet once a month and have at least one ride a month. It would be nice to hook up with you and ride.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Well Colorado can't be too far from paradise!

Rocks, roots, hills, mountains, tights (O.K. not east coast tight) water, sand dunes, mud. 4 MX tracks within an hour of Denver($20 yearly membership.$6 day to ride) Jeep trails, two track, single track, goat trail. Dual sport rides.

You could ride a different trail every day for a summer and not double up. From Denver you're only 5 hours from Moab and there are a hundred places too ride between here and there!

Wish there were more enduro's and such but hell you can't have it all.

NO GREEN STICKERS...

Just don't tell anyone about it!

glenncal1

May 24, 2001
? for Rod

Rod-do you know of any riding areas in Colorado, out on the plains. I rode in the Limon enduro a few years ago and would like to ride on some similar terrain. I am in the SE part of the metro area. TIA

Jim '79 Husky 390cr

bills442

May 4, 2001
I live in Ohio and I hate this place as far as opportunities for legal riding.

don't get me wrong - there are some *very* cool places to ride and the terrain can be *very* fun. We have a lot of racing support ( CRA, AMA ) BUT there are so few places to ride and you usually have to drive quite a distance. We have only 1 national forest and our wheather leaves much to be desired. Unless you are really hard core or have a 20,000 bike trailer/camper there is only about 4 maybe 5 months of good riding, the rest is cold, unconfortable. More people post please!!!! I want to hear more, because I am looking for a state to move to in the next few years.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
California is great if you can handle the rules and regs.. You can go from mountains to desserts to dunes to beaches. You can ride multiple terrains on the same trip. Any states that are snowed in for six months of the year should not be listed. :p

Last edited:

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
NOT TEXASS

Unless you like dealing with land owners with guns and they like to use them ( more like looking for an excuse to use em) ......but we are about 12 hours from some of the best riding in the country ...CO BABY !!

XR4 Jockey

Apr 11, 2001
OREGON

Oregon is the best place, for all the reasons mentioned so far (well maybe not MX tracks). Huge mountains, deep valleys, beaches, dunes, high desert, thousands upon thousands of miles of BLM roads perfect for cruising, great weather, plus lenient laws (places to ride, noise factor, emmissions). I can walk out my door and travel 5 miles in any direction and ride for days and not travel the same way twice......

Jason81

May 2, 2001
Ohio is right at the top of the worst places to live if you ride in the continental 48. I used to live in New Mexico and that place was like a dirt bikers Disneyland... It gets my vote as well as AZ.

Sick and tired of planing around the weather...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I did a little research and found the following information about riding tracks and areas around the country. Listed by state and shows how many areas for motorcycle riding are listed by each state.

Ohio- 22 Florida- 22
Indiana- 21 California- 16
Massachusetts- 6 Texas- 5
Illinois- 5 Colorado- 5
Georgia- 4North Carolina- 4 Kentucky- 3
Tennessee- 3 Michigan- 3
Minnesota- 3 Wisconsin- 3
New Jersey- 3 Pennsylvania- 3
New York- 2 Missouri - 2
Nevada- 2 Maryland- 2
Connecticut- 2 Arizona- 1
Oklahoma-1 New Mexico- 1
W.Virginia- 1 South Carolina- 1
Oregon- 1 Arkansas- 1
Idaho- 1 Hew Hampshire- 1
North Dakota- 1 Vermont-1
Virginia-1 Wyoming-1

Source: Dirtbiking.com (5-29-01)

California is the capitol of dirt biking?? Hmmmmm…..

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ye olde double post!

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Now go & check the number of offroad riding areas. As many problems/rules/regs as CA has we do have some pretty darn good riding. And the thing that takes it to the top? riding weather year 'round. Sorry ST500 but you can't claim that in Phoenix - maybe Flagstaff.

Brian

Top Bottom