SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
I posted in the rides forum, but thought I'd put the question here too. I live in San Diego(Mission Valley). I've been riding street bikes for quite a while and just bought my first dirt bike('04 CRF250R). I don't think the track would be a good place to get familiar. I have a red sticker, so I guess Ocotillo Wells is illegal this time of year(not to mention, I guess I need a spark arrester to ride there at all). Where is McCain's Valley? Someone said that might be a good place to start. Should I just go to Ocotillo Wells and take my chances for a little while?

SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
A couple guys told me I could get a green sticker for a 4 stroke motocrosser. Is this true? Anybody here done it? How? It would be nice, since technically, I can't go to Ocotillo Wells with my red sticker for 2 more months. :bang: Gracias.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SoCal said:
A couple guys told me I could get a green sticker for a 4 stroke motocrosser. Is this true? Anybody here done it? How? Gracias.

Hola SoCal. :cool:

If you know the right people, you can even get a license plate on one. :ohmy: Actually the '02 and earlier bikes are green sticker and have been grandfathered in at the DMV. All you need is a light and brake cert. and you can register it as a dual sport.

You have come to the right place if you want to learn to ride your bike. You never stop learning. I've been riding for a few years now and still learn something almost every time I go out. Keep an eye on this forum for future rides. There is one planned for next saturday the 21st. in Phelan. Might be a little too far North for you but, you are welcome to join the Crew. Check a454elk's post on this page.

Ocotillo Wells is a little warm this time of year but, you might want to hook up with Tree or KXSteve when he gets off the injured list. They know the area around SD and could show you some trails down that way.

Be paitent Grasshopper. This is a slow time of year here in So Cal due to the heat. During the winter months we have a ride scheduled for almost every weekend.

We are always looking for new blood, :p I mean, new people to ride with. :laugh:

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
with an 04 the only legal places to ride is the tracks. the vet track at planetx (old amago) is usually not used much and is the easier of the two to ride.
im not sure if you like mexico but your close enough for an easy day ride to Cantamar, the beach would be a good place to start out.
by the time red sticker season ends (october)ocotillo wells will be perfect !

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Like 89er said, the Phelan ride this Saturday would be great, the area where we stage is perfect for a new bike. The track would be fine if you go midweek, not many people out there. I wouldn't chance the red sticker thing, they seem to be on top of it pretty well, and the ticket can cost some hard earned mula.

Once the season kicks in, stand by, the rides are near every week, plenty to choose from. Good luck!

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Yea, the red sticker issue sucks during the summer months everything except the tracks are closed to them. Corral Canyon and McCains Valley are only open to red stickers 2 months out of the year (Dec. & Jan.). If I was you I would do like Steve said and check out the vet track at amago (planet x) it's either that or trade your ride for something thats green stickered or buy a green stickered bike for the summer months, but not everyone can afford to do that. I sometimes go to amago and it's a pretty fun place.

There will be trips heading to Ocotillo starting around Oct. but I know you don't want to wait that long to start riding.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
After seeing what happened to Joker up at Phelan with the sticker situation, I'm not sure you would want to chance riding with a red stickered bike. The weekends up at Phelan tend to bring out the Rangers. Fortunately, during the hot summer days there tends to be fewer rangers to deal with.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Come ride with us, we need you to try on the new tutu, now that I pryed it away from 89er!

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Are the stains an added bonus or did they come with the outfit when you bought it? I bet since we last seen it, Elk dyed it yellow to match his truck!
BTW, if I do come out to play this Sat I might have a buddy of mine come along.

Rich

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Red sticker green sticker Blah Blah Blah,

Just do it like the rest of us,

Buy your bike from Canada, register it to your local illegal alien friend from Mexico, Then on the aplication claim you are 1/16 th Native American, and tell them your importing it from Nevada!!! :clue:

Or you could just by a old junker, register both bikes to you and accidently mix up the stickers. (Wait, was that my out loud voice? )

Seriously, you absolutely should get a sparky :clue: Then join up with us as we hit big bear, Miller Canyon, Kenndy Meadows, Gorman, Phelan, Ocitiilo, and various races throughout Mojave.

FYI TWMC Enduro race season starts up again in September :yeehaw: :aj: :ride:

SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
Wow, :ohmy: Thanks for all the input. Glad to see so much activity in the forum.

If you guys are talkin bout Amago out by Palomar Mountain, I know the area well. I've been doin the canyon racer thing up on Palomar for like 7 years. That's my old stompin grounds. They have 2 dirt tracks at Amago or just one? I've been out there a couple times watchin the cart racers.

I'm thinkin bout trying my luck down by the border at Otay. How do you think it'd be for riding down there in my situation.

By the way, I ordered a Pro Circuit 496 muffler with spark arrestor today. Maybe It'll help keep the popo off my @ss. I called the DMV to see if I could get my red sticker changed to green since the bike is a 4 stroke, and with the new muffler, it should meet the 96db and spark arrrestor requirements. No dice. :bang: They ought to offer an inspection for a fee. If your bike passes, blam, green sticker. Hopefully this'll work out or I might have to switch to a CRF250X.

chumbucket

Apr 5, 2001
The ranger at corral canyon is pretty cool. Most of the time the only thing he will write a ticket for is not having a forest adventure pass. I have yet to see him even glance at mine or my buddys bikes to even see if they are registerd.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
If you guys are talkin bout Amago out by Palomar Mountain
yep they have two tracks located right behind the cart track, theres the vet track,the easyier of the two and the main, then the kiddy track, 80cc and under.
i havent been out to otay since last year. it was no problem then im not sure how it is now. if you are going to ride down by 905 i would ride over by the prison, i seen some poeple riding on privite land right off of 905,looks like a bust to me.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have the 250X and it's great for all the areas we ride, the track is where the 450 comes in to play.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
a454elk said:
the track is where the 450 comes in to play.

dude, you never ride the track. in fact, no one one here does. :bang:

hey SoCal- i am from SD (Mira Mesa) i drive up to Glen Helen most saturdays for the racing- once you have ridden the bike a few weeks, slap some numbers on it and come out and use it for its designed purpose.

REM back track is good for beginners and old blokes! :)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- i am up for it, but the current steed isnt- if i take that 125 on a long ride i will need to do a top end half way around the loop.

moving back to a 250 soon- then i'll be out again.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
dude, you never ride the track. in fact, no one one here does.
pffft, i have the broken bones to prove it ;) :laugh:
now if you would have said that one can ride the tracks, in my case i'd agree ;)

ya going to join us out at ocotillo wells this season??

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
bclapham said:
dude, you never ride the track. in fact, no one one here does. :bang:

hey SoCal- i am from SD (Mira Mesa) i drive up to Glen Helen most saturdays for the racing- once you have ridden the bike a few weeks, slap some numbers on it and come out and use it for its designed purpose.

REM back track is good for beginners and old blokes! :)

bclapham, where in Mira Mesa do you live? I live in Mira Mesa also. There's a few people around the neighborhood that have bikes but I've haven't met any of them. I live on Osgood which is at the south end of Parkdale.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kelsorat said:
I think I've said this before. We must all pressure Bruce to join in some off-road excursions

We've tried Kelsorat. It's like banging yur head against a wall. :bang:

Ya know how those track guys are. If it's not a groomed surface they don't know what to do.

It's like. Oh my gawd, :ohmy: There's a rock in the middle of the trail. What do I do??? Oops, :( Too late! :rotfl:

Maybe we can embarrass him into coming out?? ;)

hi1maj

Jul 2, 2004
i went to beaumont yesterday and had a lot of fun, it was a weekday so it wasnt crowded and didn't see any cops or anything. There were a few other riders there, just a little too hot during the summer.

Top Bottom