Woow i need help somebody post a reply!

WesleySluis

Oct 16, 2007
K i got a 50cc fourstroke horizontal engine in this lil bike i got its like a panterra or somthing small like that. so we took it completely apart and put new rings in it and now when i start it. It runs but it makes a loud ticking noise sounds like somthing hitting somthing i thought it might be the valves hiting the pistion but i dont no if thats possable. Im completley stumped can somone please help me :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Wesley, I'm going to move this to the repair forum. You're likely to get a better response from people over there.
My WAG would be that your cam timing is a tooth off and in causing some interference between the pistons and the valves.

WesleySluis

Oct 16, 2007
thanks

okay all give that a shot thanks for movin it for me lol i dont really know how to use this forum i just joined today. so you think i should just spin the cam sprocket back a lil bit and put the chain back on? would that make sence to you? cause it almost sounds like the valves are hitting the piston.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I would suggest you get a manual and learn how to time your engine properly. To just
spin the cam sprocket back a bit and put the chain back on
is a recipe for disaster. If the valves have hit the piston they are now bent and will need to be replaced.

WesleySluis

Oct 16, 2007
It runs

thanks for your help. i spun the timing chain back one so it was at top dead center. It runs perfect now theres no knocking noise comming from the engine anymore. but now theres a nother problem lol it doesnt want to acelerate. when its at idle it revs up normally like it should but soon as i put it in gear it doesn't speed up it bogs down. i think it might be a dirty carb or somthing what ever you think im lookin for info so that would be great. thanks for helpin me get rid of that annoying noise tho lol :nod:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
:bang: :bang:

The lack of power might be due to the valves failing to seal when they close.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
I'm with Papakeith on this if that is an interference engine (wich im pretty sure it is) then if the valves hit the piston there bent I/ve seen valves hit pistons on many engines and still run but the valves were bent and had a tremendous loss of power. when that valve hit the piston :bang: and put a slight bend in the valve stem when it closes it is not going to seat/seal properly causing compression loss (the enemy of a strong motor) and since there is not much of a load w/o it in gear it will run fine but when you put it in gear you have created a load and the engine is not powerfull enough to get ya going. that being said i wouldnt run it anymore as further damage may result in a extremely damaged head.

remove the valves and roll them on a flat surface or take the head to a machine shop for inspection also inspect the piston w/ a bright light to check for marks/crack

good luck let us know how it goes
~Brian

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Papakeith said:
I would suggest you get a manual and learn how to time your engine properly.

Good luck with that. Chinese knockoff bike. Better to spend a $1.74 on a cup of coffee and apply the rest towards saving for a name-brand bike sometime in the future.

WesleySluis

Oct 16, 2007
it works :D

thanks all you guys for your advice. the bike now runs perfectly it was just the airfilter i put on it it was aftermarket and caused it to suck to much air and not enough fuel so i just put the stock one on and it runs fine now. it leaks oil tho lol thats the only problem now. gotta remember its a china bike lol. now my plans are to take that engine out and store it just incase i blow my new one up. im getting a 90cc engine to replace the fitty its got manual clutch and everything. also im gonna put exaust and intake and paint it and stuff its gonna be a sweet lil bike all put some pictures up when im done :)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Sounds fun. My son-in-law has a 125 big pit bike that is a lot of fun until it wears out my rear end in about 20 minutes. I need to get skinnier or he needs to get a softer seat on it.

WesleySluis

Oct 16, 2007
No i didnt it was a peice of crap filter that came off a pocket bike lol and i thought i might try it but it didnt work. would that have made a diffrence if i oiled it?

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
oil is going to restrict flow to some point and if the filter is designed to be oiled then I would say yes it would help, but if its off of a pocket bike it may not be designed for oil treatment since it is not a offroad bike.

you could try where you got the bike or try to match it up w/ another bike brands filter at your parts store that can be oiled. the oil really helps to keep the engine clean I use PJ1 but i have been hearing more and more about the ease of use w/ NO-TOIL

~Brian

Top Bottom