intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
I was at Buffalo range this weekend with a couple buddies. I have a couple questions. First off i ride an 02 yz250. We were doing some practrice jumps on the large table top at the end of the track. I can clear this jump but i can't get any height out of it. My riding buddie has an 01 yz250 and he is jumping least 3 feet higher than my self. I know he is seat bounceing. My question stems from my ability to stand at the lip. I have a hard time making the transiotion from sitting to standing.. The bike feels ackward for a couple seconds while i am doing this. If feels like i am pulling on the bars to standup. If in fact i do this on the lip at the wrong time. I am worried the bike will be nutty on me. Is there anyway to make this transition easier. Better yet do any of you guys have the same problem? The geometry on my bike seems wrong for me.. I'm tall, 6'2, 175... I need a little more height and i will be satified.. Anything would be helpful.. Thanks guys..
Zig

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm a little confused...are you asking about the transition to a standing position *after* you have seat-bounced a jump or are you talking about standing up shortly before you hit the takeoff?

When you seat bounce something you stay seated until airborne. It actually feels more like you have been thrown/bounced off the seat.

If you were talking about hitting the jump in a normal standing position, you should be standing long before you get to the jump, not trying to make that transition on/near the takeoff.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
There's an about one hundred probability that the answers to your problems are: practise and gas it. Try practising doing the sitting to standing while accelerating on flat ground.

Make sure you sit far enough forward when you gas it coming out of the previous turn. Then you can use your legs to push you up instead of pulling with your arms. If you don't ride very deep ruts, do the YZ peg mod to drop your pegs a few mm to make it easier to stand up.

intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
I guess i need to clarify a bit.. Sorry guys..
I am standing approaching the jump.. Well before i need to make any final adjustments. I shift to the the next gear 4th approximatly 40 ft before the jump. I then accelerate hard in the face and tapering the throttle back to an even acceleration when i think i'm at about the correct speed.. And whoosh i'm off the lip. The bike lands perfect every time..
My buddy rides up the face while sitting then at the very top he uses the jump to lift him off the seat. He seems to get more distance and height in 3rd gear then i do in 4th.. Problem with that style is that he is kinda inconsitant. He says he is not sure exactly how the bike will come off the lip and must adjust most of the time..
I am nervous about trying this because i don't want to have to adjust.. Althought i know how and could. I am driving the bike into the face as hard as i feel comfortable. Maybe it's not hard enough?
I would like to start attempting some small tricks but would like to make sure that My landings are near perfect so i don't get into any major trouble while pulling something.
Is there anouther way to gain height without seat bouncing. Shock setup or something..
Thanks again
Paul

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You're getting less height and making better time than him on the jump, so why seat bounce it? I've been told to only seat bounce when you don't have enough run/speed to make it jumping "normally".

Seat bouncing compressed the suspension more on the face of the jump, resulting in more rebound when you take off. While it is possible to decrease your rebound damping to throw the bike higher, this is a very bad idea as it makes the bike much less controllable. You can achieve the same result by pushing the bike down into the face of the jump and thereby getting more rebound. The problem with that approach is that if you time it too early, it will have the opposite effect.

As for pulling on the bars to get forward while accelerating, you should be moving forward as you start to accelerate instead of after you have already begun.

intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer

As for pulling on the bars to get forward while accelerating, you should be moving forward as you start to accelerate instead of after you have already begun.

That statements makes sence to me, because it almost feels like i'm fighting the acceleration to move forward..
I will definetly work on that...
I am also going to try to push a little harder into the face of the jump.
This jump is the perfect practice jump for bigger doubles, so i would like to make sure i am consistant rather than huge...
I am definatly making better time around that track than the rest of my buddies that are jumping larger.. I am a perfectionist and want to make darn sure i have something perfected before moving on to the next level.
Thanks for your help..
Paul

Danny23

Jun 7, 2003
If you want to jump higher, then try to preload into the face of the jump a little more. Hit the face with your knees in the ALMOST locked position, and kind of push into the face. Your focus (besides making the jump safely) should be on compressing the suspension as much as you can into the face. You might want to even try squatting down into the face, then extending your legs prior to takeoff. Be careful though, because with extended airtime comes extended distance, because you have a constant forward velocity, so don't overshoot it.

Good luck,
Dan

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
I agree with Danny on the preload on the jump face, I also give a blip of the throttle just before lift off...that in combination with the preloading, gets me all the air I need to clear most jumps.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I agree with the preloading/gas it idea. When I preload it tends to drop the front pretty far, so gassing it at the same time brings it back up and adds a lot of distance and height as well.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I don't agree with the blip deal. Your throttle should be on all the way up the ramp and you start on the throttle before the ramp too.
If you are blipping than that means you had to be off the gas and then put it on again, which means less drive up the ramp.
If you have a lot of distance prior to the ramp than what you do is go fast toward the ramp, slow down before it with a fairly hard braking effect, and then hammer the throttle again to get to the back side.
I saw this with one of the GP circuit jumps. They did not have to compress the suspension because when they hit it, it was with enough speed to compress it fully. They were on the brake for less than half a second.

The most important thing about a long run up to a jump face is that when you hit the ramp you don't want the ramp to act as a brake and slow your momentum and you need to be on the gas at least a little. If the weight of you or your bike shifts forward it is endo time.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I guess my reply was not very clear... I didn't mean to imply blipping the throttle. Approaching the jump, I am on the gas pretty hard but not wide open. Then on the face when I am pushing down with my legs to get the preload effect, I try to roll the gas on a little more to bring the front up, since I have noticed that preloading tends to bring the front down. Hopefully this makes my approach a little more clear.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Spuddy, I would think that giving more twist to the throttle at the lip is not going to do much and if your not but 1/4 to 1/2 throt when on the ramp and going to full on the lip, would make for a slip situation or a throw your body back and a sort of loop out situation. Hit the entire jump with one throttle setting, acceleration. Most people blip on the entire ramp since they are not so experienced, and a bit fearful of jumping. And all jumps demand respect and concentration.

mx416

Nov 2, 2003
You can push the down on the face preloading, it will help give you some more height, but you don't need to since you are already clearing the jump. You can also seat bounce to get more distance, but try it on a small jump. Be careful, I still get scared when I seat bounce a 4th gear pinned jump at my track.

Top Bottom