MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
haha, my neighborhood is pretty flat! plus...I live in Michigan...it's too cold to walk outside.Walking in the neighborhood is how I pulled the muscle in the first place. The roads get really icy because no one puts any salt on them.
So I think I'll go to the gym tonight and try the recumbant bike. At least with that my back is supported. I won't go all out, I'll go slow and easy and if I feel bad I'll get off.
I have been working on the hand/eye coordination with MX vs. ATV unleased on the X-Box.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Sorry to hear that MXGirl! Hopefully you can find some sort of activity replacement!

I'm back on the wagon again! I did my ab workout twice this week and walked once so far! It feels good!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Well I start PT NEXT Thursday...UUGGH!!! There are 7 offices here in town and only ONE has ONE opening...Plus it's on the other end of town (15-20min drive depending on lights/traffic). Guess I gotta do what I gotta do though...

I did try the recumbant bike last night, it went okay...just boring and I don't want to overdo it..

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i am so bummed. i have been training like a madman for an upcoming sprint triathalon at the end of march. they have cancelled the event due to low water conditions. one of the elements is paddling 4 miles down a river. i bet i have 250+miles combined training on bicycle, running and paddling in the last 6 weeks. arrrrrggg!! the one positive is that i dont get tired as fast riding the moto stuff as a result of all of this activity. carry on yall and make your goals.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I'm going to be healed!!

SOO I started physical therapy today. The lady that I worked with has linked my dizziness and headaches and my recent back injury to my closed head injury back in July of 2002! Since the head injury I have had on and off headaches and dizziness. At the time I went to PT and got kinda better, but never 100%. I have had x-rays, cat scans, and MRI's done...everything always coming up clear. So she was asking about my hobbies and was like...have you ever had any closed head injuries..I was like yeah and explained them to her. She started feeling my spine and sternum. Once she started to get into my neck the first few vertebrae were really painful. Then she did this crazy stuff with her fingers to my head...at one point my ears got really hot and turned bright red. She had "released" the built up "energy" in my head and neck. What she dis is called "CranioSacral" therapy http://www.craniosacraltherapy.org/Whatis.htm. After she was done, I actually did feel better and my head didn't feel like it had as much pressure on it...crazy stuff, but I felt better and that's what matters..so hopfully this stuff will work and I can get back into my workout routine. I haven't been feeling well enough to do it. I got so dizzy in church the other day I almost fell back into the pew. Not good!
So everyone else still doing well on their workouts?

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Good to hear your PT is going well, I hope it keeps up like that for you!

I've been getting some sort of additional physical activity in at least every other day. It is going well, I don't get so winded if I run up a flight of stairs or anything like that.

Rooster had me doing push ups last night! Wow, I have absolutely no upper body strength, I could only do 10!!! But, I'm going to keep after it for riding!

The weather was unseasonable warm but now it's back to normal so it's too cold to walk :(

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
squeaky said:
Good to hear your PT is going well, I hope it keeps up like that for you!

Thanks! I hope so too!! I've been fighting this for a long time, it's time for it to go away. Phil was really happy that it went well today to. Guess we'll see what the next 3 weeks will bring!

-Tracie

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Getting in shape for the Enduro season this year I came across a really good way to get a whole body workout:
I can't run because of my knees, so I've been walking about 2.5 miles everyday. Try walking with a 15 pound barbell!
Holy cow, I felt like I came off a 60 mile race the next day.
Walking 2.5 miles takes about 40 minutes. For 40 minutes I'll do curls, lifts, over the head extensions. forearm curls, etc., alternating left and right hands. That 15 pounds feels like about 88 pounds by the time you get home.

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
Hey guys I haven't been around for a while(last login was 12-03-2005, lol). But I really need to get back into shape. I'm only 5'11", 225 pounds. That is ridiculous. I need to lose weight, and need some insperation(sp). I don't have a treadmill which sucks. I have a bike, but i'd rather use a treadmill. Its 20* out, so i'm not running outside because i'll get sick.

But yeah, I want to get back to around 200. The worst feeling is knowing you around your set weight, and you put it all back on.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
travis712 said:
Its 20* out, so i'm not running outside because i'll get sick.

That's not true. If you dress properly you'll be fine. It's about the same here, so if I want to walk outside I wear: longjohn pants and shirt, warm socks, sweatpants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, gloves, earmuffs and I'm fine. You actually end up working up a good sweat with all those clothes on too, just make sure to keep your ears covered (I went out without earmuffs on once and by the time I got back the insides of my ears hurt so bad from the cold) and keep your fingers covered too, those are the most important in my opinion.

The State of Rhode Island has a new incentive program for working out and getting in shape called Shape Up RI. You sign up with a team and enter your total team weight and activity hours bi-weekly and the team with the most total weight loss and the team with the most total activity hours at the end of 3 months wins prizes and gets to attend a prestigious awards ceremony. I signed up along with Papakeith, my mom, PK's cousin, and a couple of my friends. It's really great incentive to diet and workout, because you don't want to let the team (or yourself) down. I found a great strength training workout for myself to alternate with cardio. I started this morning, even though the competition doesn't start until Monday, to see how I liked it. I feel better after one workout, just because I got up this morning and my body moving and blood pumping right away. It was great! :cool:

I'll keep posting with my progress! Hopefully all this motivation will get us in shape for riding season! :ride:

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
squeaky said:
That's not true. If you dress properly you'll be fine. It's about the same here, so if I want to walk outside I wear: longjohn pants and shirt, warm socks, sweatpants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, gloves, earmuffs and I'm fine. You actually end up working up a good sweat with all those clothes on too, just make sure to keep your ears covered (I went out without earmuffs on once and by the time I got back the insides of my ears hurt so bad from the cold) and keep your fingers covered too, those are the most important in my opinion.

This is true I suppose. Its just hard to get out in the winter. & I live on a real busy road, guess im just :ahhh:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I had been loosing weight pretty good until the last couple of weeks. I started out at 222 and am now stuck at 204 +/- 1lbs. It's hard to keep motivated when I keep going up and down a pound or two.

I've been doing the treadmill for 2-2.5 miles every other evening. I stay at 3.5 mph with the incline set at 10 degrees for 3/4 of the time. It's a pretty good work out and I build up a good sweat. I want to work up to 3-4 miles but I don't want to over do it. My knees won't take it. I'm back up to 3 glycosimine (sp?) a day again to ward off the pain.

In the morning's of the treadmill I do 30 push ups and 30 sit ups. I increase the number by 5 per week. Plus I use my old bull worker for some isometric resistance training.

My diet has been the same, low fat, smaller portions but more frequently. Lot's of water, no snacks at night unless it's an orange or some kind of fruit. I'll sneak a cookie every once in a while but hey, They're soooo good!

I'm hoping that I'm in a place where I'm building muscle mass and it's offseting my fat loss. I want to be under 200 by the end of March. Wish me luck!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
RM_guy said:
I'll sneak a cookie every once in a while but hey, They're soooo good!

You've got to cheat every once in a while, as long as you don't overdo it! I think that's the only way to stay sane when dieting.

Good luck Dave, it sounds like you've really got yourself motivated and you're working really hard toward your goals!

JMK

Mar 6, 2006
Ive put on some weight over the holidays ( and including a move to another state) gained about 15lbs total..ive lost about 8 of that but having trouble getting the rest off. I need to get back in shape for this is spring..you guys have some great ideas....thanks

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Progress!

So I have been going to phyiscal therapy for almost 2 weeks now. It has made pretty good improvements for me. I am not getting as many headaches and not a whole lot of dizziness. My neck has finally loosened up and my back isn't bothering me anymore! So I'm hoping that in two weeks I can be back at the gym and back on my program. SOO hopefully I can go on a rollercoaster this year! I haven't been able to go on one since I "bumped" my head!! Six Flags here I come!!! Okay..well maybe that's a bit much to find out if I can still go on one...guess I'll have to go to Michigan's Adventure! lol

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
HEALTH QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION

I finanly went to the doctor to see what else I could do to loose some weight and train better, I had a lot of questions and I thought I'd share the answers with the rest of you. It's changed my whole outlook on fitness!

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise

program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should

only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
LOL And I thought you were going to have something serious to say! ;)

How has everyone been doing on their workouts? Since Saturday March 4, I've only missed two days of getting some sort of serious exercise!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm doing horrible on the workout thing now. I finally got in a good rythem, running, biking, or lifting, everyday, plus eating good. But I've been living on the road for about 4 weeks now, with 2 more to go. I wish this hotel had a gym! It's hard to go running when it's 10 degrees and snowing out. It's hard to eat healthy too. I can't wait to get back home and back into the swing of things!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Yay

So I have been going to physical therapy for 3 weeks now. Everything is going very well. I'm not getting headaches or dizziness anymore. Only when I don't get enough sleep.
So next week I can be back on my program! YAY, I am soo glad we finally got the dizzines/headache thing fixed!
I have been sticking to very light working out, mostly using my ball, squats, lunges and mild lifing. I should be cleared after this week to be back on full swing!! I sure hope so! Racing starts in a couple of weeks!!

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Over the Christmas break my son decided to go out for the soccer team, so I started running with him. At first I could only run about 20 yards before I was sucking wind hard. I stayed with a "couch to 5k" program and have since run a 5k race, and I'm running my second one next weekend. I've dropped from 210 to 185 and hoping to drop a little more. I feel great except for the knee and hip problems I'm having from running so damn much. Go figure.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Vampyrz said:
Over the Christmas break my son decided to go out for the soccer team, so I started running with him. At first I could only run about 20 yards before I was sucking wind hard. I stayed with a "couch to 5k" program and have since run a 5k race, and I'm running my second one next weekend. I've dropped from 210 to 185 and hoping to drop a little more. I feel great except for the knee and hip problems I'm having from running so damn much. Go figure.

WOW! How do you get there that quickly, that's awesome!!!

I'd like to try running, but I'd probably drop dead and/or kill my dog at the same time!

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
squeaky said:
WOW! How do you get there that quickly, that's awesome!!!

I'd like to try running, but I'd probably drop dead and/or kill my dog at the same time!

I went on a (for me) strict diet. Oatmeal for breakfast with a scrambled egg. Fruit at mid-morning, 1 (one!) sardine divided between 3 crackers for lunch, more fruit at mid-noon, a piece of broiled fish and a steamed veggie for dinner. I gave up coffee for green tea, which I drink constantly, drink lots more water, and gave up all junk food, beef, and most dairy products. I do take suppliments and a protein shake (with water only) once or twice a day.

I followed a running program (Couch to 5K) at coolrunning.com to get started, and worked up to 45 minutes a session nightly on an eliptical trainer at home.

Between the restricted calories and the increased cardio the weight came off quickly but I never felt weak or tired. Once a week I eat whatever I want, but I really don't want as much to eat as I used to. My weight seems to have stabilized at 185 but I'm shooting for 170-175 eventually.

To me the key is consistency. Stay on whatever diet you choose, don't miss scheduled runs or other opportunities to burn some extra calories. And yes, I thought I'd drop dead from running early on but you get over that pretty soon. Start slow and work your way up!

Good luck to you!

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
4 years ago, at age 39( April, 2002), I rode-raced my first and only enduro. I was so spent afterwards, I couldn't even take my chest protector and jersey off. It was at that point I decided to get in shape.
The summer of 02 I rode my mountain bike for cardio and joined a gym to work on upper body. 3 workouts of each per week.The good news was that I felt better-healthier than I had in 15 years. Later that summer I raced my first Hare Scramble. When the 1 1/2 hour race was over, I was feeling strong and not even winded.
6 months of working out and I didnt lose any weight or that dreaded innertube around my waist. BUT, I did feel great. Fall came and it was to cold to ride the bike outside, so I tried the stationary bikes at the club and was bored out of my mind. I had not run in 20 years, except when being chased. A friend of mine convinced me to give the treadmill a try. Like Forest Gump, I ran and never stopped. 6 months later, I had lost that pudge around the waist. Im 5' 9" and went from 165 down to 155. Nothing burns the fat like running.
Now I belong to 2 running clubs and have run 3 marathons. The best thing you can do is find something that you stick with. If you try something for a month or 2 and it just isnt your bag, try something else, just dont give up. If your walking, make sure to give it a good hard effort, results take a little longer, but they will come. if interested in starting a running program, try this site.

http://www.halhigdon.com/

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I've been walking/strength training, my goal is to just get a workout in every day of at least 30 minutes. My walking consists of 1 1/2 miles of mostly uphills which takes me about 30 minutes to do, I push myself pretty hard.

I'm really not looking to lose weight, but to tone up and get in shape. I'm feeling better already, but I was at the point just a few weeks ago where I couldn't even run up a flight of stairs without feeling winded.

I'm going to check out that site Walt, thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom