JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
To all those 30+ year olds,
What kind of fitness program do you have? I have recently broken the 200lb barrier (up 30lbs in the last 2 years). I'm working out twice a week and riding on the weekends, but something's not working and I can no longer afford annual suspension revalving. Does anybody have anything that really works for them?

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
The best thing I've ever done for myself that resulted in an overall improvement for riding and racing M/X was to cut out refined sugar as much as humanly possible from my diet. Not only did my endurance and stamina increase, but arm pump problem dramatically improved. I actually felt the difference quite quickly, just 3 weeks. It's also easier now to maintain a healthy weight.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
The old metabolism isn't what it used to be. :(

Tips to help boost up the metabolism:

-Minimum 20 minutes cardio 5-7 times per week.
-Do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.
-Do not eat three large meals per day-instead eat 6-7 smaller ones.
-Muscle burns more calories than fat-so try and train with weights a couple of times per week, even if it is high rep low weight it will help increase lean muscle mass.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Color me stupid, but what are "refined sugars" and can you give me some examples? BTW, I'm 41, 5' 11" and 180lb.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Gary B.
Color me stupid, but what are "refined sugars" and can you give me some examples? BTW, I'm 41, 5' 11" and 180lb.

basically, anything that is manufactured with high sugar content (natural or not) can affect your metabolism and ability to burn fat. Sugars count as carbs and will be stored.

One thing I would add to the sound advice given by those above: WATER! AT LEAST 1/2 oz. per lb. of body weight per day, and would recommend 1 oz. per lb. if you are doing any kind of training. I went from 248 down to 220 and it made a difference in the way my bike handled and the way I handled the bike.
After DW01 I go for the less than 200 club :)

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Refined sugars to avoid are things such as cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. Sodas are even worse because you not only get the sugar burst, but carbon dioxide is the double whammy. If you must drink sodas, at least lean toward the diet types. I've been watching the kids that race the 60's and 80's and most of them eat candy bars with a coke before and between motos. When they finish their second moto, the bike is handed over to mom or dad and the kid heads for the camper or lounge chair to collapse. He's too whipped to assist with loading up to go home. I'm sure the parents know that little Johnny should eat properly but they don't want to upset dear little Johnny. Information on nutrition is easy to find now. It's a shame that far too many people just don't care. By the way, is it me, or is there a new fad of smoking among teens?

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Count Calories and exercise, exercise, exercise. I'm 30 and have lost 30 lbs since I started riding again last fall. Recently I have been keeping a diary of my daily caloric intake. I work out 2x a day during the week and once daily on weekend. I haven't felt this good in years and my riding endurace has improved drastically. I also lift 2x a week with low weight/high reps.

Trail Boss

Sponsoring Member
Jul 25, 2000
Originally posted by Big Tuna

Tips to help boost up the metabolism:
-Do not eat three large meals per day-instead eat 6-7 smaller ones.

I agree with this for weight loss.

Based on recommendations from other DRN members I bought the "Body for Life" book.
Six smaller meals with more protein, and less carbohydrates, spread over the whole day cuts waaayy back on the craving for snacks, and really cuts down the spare tire around your waist.

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
First off you should go get a complete physical from a physician if you haven't already. Then if you can afford it join a gym. They'll have a trainer there that'll set up a routine that should meet your goals.

Good luck,
Dave

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by Boit
By the way, is it me, or is there a new fad of smoking among teens?
I have noticed that every teen that lives on my block smokes.:( Why is this?
I didn't know about the sugars. damn too late. I already ate my breakfast and I'm heading out to ride. I will probably get arm pump as bad as usual.:eek: Thanks for the info.
I don't have access to a gym, but can riding my MTN.bike and doing sit-ups and push-ups help?
I bought one of the hand grip exercise thingies and it didn't seem to help my forearm pump. I guess it's the sugars.:(

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Read labels. Just because it says low fat does'nt mean it is. Try to work out at least 3 times per week (for toning) 5 to 6 days for weight loss. Try to get plenty of sleep as well. Stay away from the scale, don't weigh your self everyday. And it takes time, you did'nt put the weight on in 3 weeks so you won't take it off in 3 weeks. If you are wieght training you may not lose any,but may gain weight.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I do the atkins diet which means that you don't eat any sugar or other carbs. The problem with just cutting out sugar is that when you eat starchy foods (pasta, rice, bread, etc.) they are turned to sugar by your digestive system. So if you are going to bother cutting out sugar, then you'll be wasting time if you don't cut out all carbohydrates. I have lost 30 pounds in 3 months, it is easy and I am NEVER hungry on this diet. All the people who say it's unhealty and tell you to eat only rabbit food day and night, yet have to starve themselves to lose weight are being disallusioned in my opinion. I feel full every day all day, you only eat when you want and you can eat as much as you want. No, it doesn't harm your kidneys (common misconception). It's easy and a healthy way to lose weight but the only way to get better endurance is to do cardio-vascular work like running, biking, riding, etc.

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
Cycling....

I'm 42 and still 175 lbs, same as my highschool weight. After I got married, I pushed up to almost 200lbs. BIG history of weight problems so I had to do something. The key to weight loss is getting your metabolism up. Find something that gets your heart rate up, and keeps it up for 45 min or so. You have to like it, or you wont do it. I hate running, stationary exercisers are brain numbing. Cycling is fun, NO impact and works you. I got into racing and was training everyday and was in killer shape. After I backed off racing, I found that I could still eat pretty much what I want and keep the weight down with a brisk 1 hr ride, 3-4 days a week. First, bust your butt getting your weight down, then you can back off a bit and maintain.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Good Advice

A lot of good advice about eating and exercise. A HRM worked well for me as it motivates me and I can see the results fast. You can buy cheap ones on ebay. I use an HRM and have a track around my yard that my son rides his dirtbike on. I try to ride a mountain bike on the trail at least three times a week. I try to work my body hard at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes. You'll be suprised how much endurance you have when you do something cardio several times a week.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
KDXDan, it took me a minute to figure out Heart Rate Monitor:silly: ,I'm a little slow sometimes. What kind do you have since I was going to purchase one this weekend but I wasn't sure which one to get and how much they are? I had a cheap one years ago but it wasn't that accurate. I am a firm believer in staying in tune with how your body reacts to different training tactics.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
lol

Sorry about that. I think mine is the Polar Protrainer NV. Theres one on ebay for $83.00 (1180789216). I paid over $200.00 for mine a few years ago. I liked the average heartrate and total time spent in zone. You don't have to constantly look at the thing when your working out - you can look at it later.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I do agree that you do not want to get hooked on what the scale says,its more about how you look and feel, but to get an idea of the calories you should consume you will have to utilize the scale as a weight loss/gain tool. Doing your regular everyday activities count your calories that you consume throughout the day; at the end of the day weigh in on the scale(same time every day). Now to lose weight start gradually cutting back your caloric intake throughout the day until you start to see the scale move downward(imo anymore than 1 pound/day on average is to much. Once you have reach your goal you can increase your calories gradually to a maintenance level where the scale holds at your target weight. By increasing your daily activities(cardio, weight training or riding) you will be able to increase your caloric intake; as long as the calories you consume are less than the calories you burn you will lose weight. As far as diet goes I believe moderation is the key; your protein intake should be at 1 to 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, carbs should come from mostly complex carbohydrates, fibre, try not to consume more than 10% of your calories as fat(especially unsaturated fat). Another thing, try to make most of your protein come from leaner sources(tuna, chicken/turkey breasts, l/f cottagecheese, egg whites and small amounts of lean cuts of beef).

Another metabolism tip:
-Protein shakes are good if you are strapped, but solid food is better(the digestion of the solid stuff works the metabolism better than the shakes.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Big Tuna
imo anymore than 1 pound/day on average is to much.

Damn right, since 1 pound of fat is about 2500 kcalories. An active grown man probably uses about 3000-3500 kcalories per day, so to loose 1 pound per day you would have to make do with less than 1000 kcalories which is not much. Maybe 1/4 pound is closer to what most people can sustain by just looking at what they eat.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
The weight loss will not all be fat.When the diet is cleaned up there should be a decrease in water retention; some of the weight loss,especially at the beginning, will be water weight.

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
if your looking to drop weight ( or put on muscle ) take a look at the Met-Rx products at a GNC store , the drink mix actually tastes pretty good

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Awhile back SLO MO told me to drink lots of water,establish a proper diet and layoff caffeine. I did follow that good advice ( except for the coffee )and I have dropped some descent poundage,plus my endurance has improved. At first I sacrificed riding time for bow flex time, but now it's back to more riding and a little less on the machine.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
JPIVEY your right on the money IMO, if your riding a fair amount and trying to train at the same time, at first it is hard to pack it all in at once. You end up holding back a little on the training intensity to save yourself for the riding. If you find yourself in this spot not getting the results on the bike you want, It is really a good idea to take a two to three week break from riding and really concentrate on the endurance/strength aspect by just training. Really push yourself for those weeks and concentrate on just that. Get your routine of how and what your going to do for those weeks figured out before you stop riding and make it challenging and intense. You'll be amazed at the results. Then work on doing both simultaneously untill you find your grove to squeeze both in at the same time.

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
eat right

What works for me is I try not to stray from eating healthy foods from each of the food groups. A balanced diet is really important. I stay away from junk food (except for pizza), and avoid preservative laced foods.

I ride a mountain bike hard (up hill one way) once a week for two to three hours or about 20 miles. I do push up's once a week and pull up's once a week. I practice at least once, usually twice a week. If this helps any.

Dash

Last edited by a moderator:

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY
Awhile back SLO MO told me to drink lots of water,establish a proper diet and layoff caffeine.

I've always wondered about the caffeine part of that. I've heard that caffeine is ok if you exercise immediately afterward. I don't know if it's a metabolism thing or if caffeine has some effect on your body fat. Maybe it's just that caffeine is a diarhetic?

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
We have a prof power lifter at work (5th in the world in the squat,998 lbs). He ueses caffine to stack with other stuff when he trains.

Top Bottom