Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

• Yes - broke it while riding

Votes: 308 36.3%
  • Yes - but not related to riding

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) while riding

Votes: 126 14.8%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) not related to riding

Votes: 108 12.7%
  • Never broken a bone (knock on wood!)

Votes: 242 28.5%

• Total voters

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
I broke my left collar bone on Jun 22 01 on a 30ft table top. the lip of the jump was rutted and I wasn't squarely in a rut when I left the face of the jump. it kicked the rear tire to the side and the rest is history.
it was a pretty good get off but not to point I thought I broke something. then I tried to picked up my bike and felt stuff moving around in my shoulder that wasn't supposed to be moving. worst part is, I knew the second I left the jump that it was a doomed flight. I was not in pain at all, infact I took very very little of the pain meds that the doc gave me. but here I sit 3 years later and my shoulder is not like it was before I broke it.
shortly before I broke it I was reading an article in MXaction that said there are 2 types of riders "those that have broken their collar bone and those that will" I was like yea,right......... not me.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Speeed said:
"those that have broken their collar bone and those that will" I was like yea,right......... not me.

:| Ouch!

1966mustang

Jun 8, 2004
Well i just broke mine yesterday which really sucks man. I was jumping and ran out of gas and the bike died right when i it the jump and i did a nose dive. How long do you guys think i should wait to ride again?

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
When the doctor clears you to ride. :bang: The doc told me six months, started riding at 8 weeks (easy). :laugh: Will be at least a month more to get back to speed.

automudracer

Jun 17, 2004
total bones, left wrist 2 times, right 7, total of 8 broken fingers and every bone in right hand, left pinkie finger dislocated, 6 broken ribs, both collar bones,dislocated right shoulder, torn left rotator cuff, 9 concutions, broken nose, fractured jaw, 7 broken toes, every bone in both feet, both ankels broken left once right 2 times, 3 screws in left ankel, broken tib, fib, knee cap, crushed femer, titainiam plate from the left side of my knee to the right and down to 3 inches above my right ankel 14 screws, all on dirt bike racing or jumping all the damage to the legs happened in the last 8 months racing arenacross. god i love this sport.

kstout4life

Aug 2, 2004
While i was in the hospital with a broken collar bone, the first thing the nurse asked me was if i was riding a dirt bike. She said its the most common broken bone, and mainly is from crashes on dirtbikes or atvs.

sbohanon

Sep 9, 1999
just broke my right collarbone last sunday. hit some 5" diameter roots wfo. i never seen the ground come at you so fast. head hit pretty hard too. never want to do that again. next race is 9/5 and 9/12, going to miss them i guess.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Ok, i'm cleared from the doc. roughly eight weeks before I rode again, and ten till I was cleared from the doc. My first broken bone, and I got a feeling it wontg be my last! :aj: it gets achey when it's cold, butotherwise, all my movement is fine.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I went riding on Thursday night FINALLY!

The only problem I had (other than the poor lights on the track) was the new lump on my collarbone. The lump rubs my chest protector BAD. A buddy of mine lent me his newer chest protector which has kind of a hinge around the collarbone area so that might help. I am also thinking of putting some padding on the underside of the protector to keep it off of the lump. I am a little bummed about the lump but there really isn't much I can do.

I actually think the doc put the two bone ends back together a little crooked. Not sure what to do about that. Anyone have any ideas?

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My lump, as I believe most, will diminish with time. Mine has gone down considerably in 3 1/2 years.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I do know from looking at the x-rays that there is a good amount of calous (new pre-bone stuff) over the whole area. I can see the original bone and the new bone. The clip has some thickness also and I know that will be there.

BradFrost

Jan 2, 2005
Ouch!

I've only ever busted one thing... the third toe on my right foot which now looks like a claw. I deserved it coz I was very young/stoopid and riding an indian file track with only gym shoes on. A hidden tree stump on the side of the track lept outta the tall grass and spoilt my ride in an instant.
I now wear my Tech8's to bed. :laugh:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Broke my collar bone in a sled riding accident at the age of 4. I was at the bottom of the hill, still laying down on my sled when a 6' wooden toboggan (not the kind you wear on your head) loaded with 4 people on it ran over me at full tilt.

Broke my nose when my brother punched it.

Broke my shifter foot in an XR100 accident in grade school. That was an interesting ride back to the house reaching down to shift with my hand.

Broke pinky finger riding this past summer. Stupid accident... about 5 mph in a water hole, my front tire suddenly slipped to the right about 2' due to a rut I could not see under the water and I went down. Tip: Don't assume that a throbbing finger is just a 'bad jam' that you can pull out if you jerk hard enough. Sometimes it really is a fracture!

kxcaruso

Feb 4, 2005
Broke My Collar Bone

undefined
I broke my collar bone on the 30th of January 2005! KX125
i went to a friends house 40km from town and a hospital..in australia. we made a step down into a dryed up damn, i did it a couple of time no worries.
the next day i jumped on my bike but didnt put my armor on, cause i was just having a play around. as i came up to the jump the bike went into power ban shooting the back end into the air!
before i knew it the bike us in a vertical postion nose diving. i fell off the left side of the bike landing on my shoulder and then skiding on my back for a couple of meters. mean while the bike did 3 cart wheels. i took a beating with a broken collar bone, scratched up back and a scar on my face, my helmet smashed the nose on impact.
The bike only came out with bent bars and bent sub frame!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
MrMXer327 said:
Niki,
You should include an option for how many times you've broken you collarbone.... 7 for me... and hopefully no more!
finally someone clutsier then me :yeehaw: I don't feel so bad now. I have rebroken the same place 4 times in 1 1/2 years :bang:

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Broken???

After 40 years of racing and riding off road lets see, left collarbone, 2 left ribs, left foot, all the toes on the left foot, lower left leg, left ankle (still has screws in it from 1972), jaw and nose.

collarbone - crash
ribs - crash
left foot and toes - ran into downed bike, foot didn't make it
lower left leg and ankle - got tee boned
jaw and nose - watch out for bare low tree limbs while riding into the sun

buffalorider

Mar 26, 2005
Broke mine so hard it was in four pieces (no thanks to my helmet and/or the cheap Kenda Carlsbad front tire I had on) OK, Actually the helmet probably saved my life but it did cause the break when the lower edge crushed into my bones. However, I still blame the tire for "folding" under my rim on a turn off a trail onto a hard pack road. Change of terrain is bad news. I actually felt the tire give then the bike caught and highsided me into the side of the hill next to the road. I hit so hard I blacked out and tried to ride home looking through a little purple window. I still race hare scrambles in the 40 B class but have nothing to prove anymore :(

Feb 20, 2004
broke mine for the first time a week ago im in a sling now and am missing my first two harescrambles. me and friend we wrestling and i was gonna tackle him and he threw me( yes i flew 6 feet) down a hill and landed with my head turned and smashed it . the bone is still hanging on by a peice of fiber stuff from inside the bone. i will have a lump but it should heal fine and not sag lower then the other side

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
Broke my collar bone when I was 5 on a Yamaha PW50. I was driving down a grass trail when the front wheel suddenly fell in a ground hog hole. I flipped over the bars and the bottom of my helmet broke the bone when I landed on the back of my head.

Dirtfiend

Apr 18, 2005
I haven't broken it yet...

I have a friend that went riding alone (first mistake) he was cruising down a dirt trail that had been washed out during a storm, he didnt know that this happened since last time he went to this area. He hit the washed out spot going about 35mph.

Busted his collar bone, had to pick his bike up ride back 40 miles to his truck and load the bike in all alone. He said he could feel the bones grinding the whole way back.

Top Bottom