mtk

Jun 9, 2004
rickyd said:
Windham wasnt a backmarker in Atlanta..

He also wasn't a factor for the win, by any stretch of the imagination. His only shot at the top of the box was DNFs by both Reed and RC. With the amount of time RC needed to make up, he simply did not have time to waste sitting behind someone that slow. Yes, I said slow, because compared to Reed and RC, he was slow.

It was also serious wishful thinking on Windham's part to think that he could keep RC behind him for 17 laps to retain second place.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
As for Windham, you have to remember this is a race. If he can keep blocking RC til the end of the race thats fine, it would of given him 2nd place. Its all part of racing. That being said there was nothing wrong with RC's aggressive pass. If the rider in front doesnt want to move for a faster rider and trys to hold his place then the faster rider has nothing left to do by force his way past. Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesnt put the other rider down or out. Its racing!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sure Windham could have tried to block RC all the way to the end of the race however if he had tried that he would have ended up on the ground in another turn or two. Bottom line he was in RC's way and allowing Reed to get away, RC knew he didn't have the time to wait to make that pass. As for the comment made earlier that Reed clearly isn't on RC's level, he did run RC down last week and make the pass and RC looked to me to have to push right to the limits to get the win this week. I agree that RC is the man however to summarily dismiss Reed as not at that level is somewhat harsh.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Chili said:
Sure Windham could have tried to block RC all the way to the end of the race however if he had tried that he would have ended up on the ground in another turn or two. Bottom line he was in RC's way and allowing Reed to get away, RC knew he didn't have the time to wait to make that pass. As for the comment made earlier that Reed clearly isn't on RC's level, he did run RC down last week and make the pass and RC looked to me to have to push right to the limits to get the win this week. I agree that RC is the man however to summarily dismiss Reed as not at that level is somewhat harsh.

Chili that is it. RC did some impressive riding, and appears to have more fire in the belly than anyone. However you cannot discount Reed's skills. They are the only two on that level. I think the level KW, the Rock, Tortelli, DV, are riding would have been good enough to go places 2 years ago. But there is a new game in town, and those two at the top are the only players. I didnt give JBS any support, because he has yet to show me that he can play in this game. In my book, he might be able to get the 3rd spot if he has a good weekend. I will stand behind that until he shows me something different.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I keep forgetting to bring this up--this is about as good a time as any. Anyone ever wonder how all 5'5" 130-145# of RC can manhandle anyone, any size, any day on the track? How many times have we seen RC pushed off the track? Just a thought.

This weekend's race brings up another issue: Can anyone remember anyone in any sport that has (or has had) more desire, drive, will, 'fight to the death', will not lose attitude than RC? The only thing I can come up with is (maybe) Walter Payton. I can't think of a single other (and please don't bring up bicyclists with testicular cancer--that's a different deal).

At the same time, the only force on this planet capable of handing RC his ass is Reed. Reed also is the only rider these days that has a constitution similar to RC, and will not let this race be a neg for him. He learned a lot, and I guarantee you he'll use it to his advantage soon.

'It ain't the bike'--really? IMO, ProCircuit has to have the best bikes out there in the 250F class. From Hot Sauce and Ron Ron, to Walker and Langston...when has Langston ever been good at SX? What is it? Better coaches? Traveling 'massage' program? Pre-race methamphetamine?

Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
This is my first year following SX and I was wondering if in years past did the top few guys consistently lap up to 9th and 10th place like Ricky and Chad are doing this year? It looks like the rest of the pack would need to step it up a couple of notches just so they won't get lapped. BTW it looks like Windham will need to enlist the services of some Indian rain dancers at every outdoor race if he ever hopes to stand in the middle of the podium again this year.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Great race. RC just doesn't give up....ever.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
My opinion after seeing them in SX in person for the first time is that CR is an awesome rider, but RC is just a notch above in speed and consistency. But CR is close enough that if RC makes a mistake or is a little off one weekend, he is going to win it. I respect Chad, but seeing him getting reeled in and passed twice in the same race removed the doubt for me as to who is the faster/better rider out there.

During one of the qualifiers or semi's, I don't remember which, Chad fell and then charged back...I think to 3rd place to qualify. They said up to that point, he posted the fastest lap time of the day and it was fun to watch him move up through. Likewise, in Millsap's first race, he fell early on and was way behind dead last by the time he got his bike started again. I was fun to see him gain so much ground and move up through for a top ten finish. Watching Langston and Walker battle in the Main, I missed what happened to Millsaps that he only finished 4th, but my opinion is that he will be on the podium several times before the 125 East is done.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I don't know what happened to Travis Preston in the main, but I think he won his heat race (through a little attrition). Honda must have loved his interview. Something like "The bike was so fast, I just held on."

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Preston is always a good interview. When Erin Bates asked him about Mike Larocco being so close behind him, Preston said "Mike's a shady character. I have to watch him." :)

I'm glad he's back. I'm sure the heat win was good for his morale.

For all you RC haters. . .Ricky didn't just win. He ripped Reed's heart out, showed it to him, then stomped it flat.

That was an awesome race. I've been to Atlanta 7 or 8 times, and that was the best race I've seen there.

Congrats to Walker, too. He had a sizable lead on Langston before he bobbled on the camelback jump and than again in the whoops.

I wrote him off a couple of years ago as being a fast guy who always sat out with an injury.
Glad I was wrong.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Wilky said:
This is my first year following SX and I was wondering if in years past did the top few guys consistently lap up to 9th and 10th place like Ricky and Chad are doing this year? QUOTE]

Yes, the winners often will lap up to 10th or so in a 20 lap main. Depends somewhat on the track - the tougher it is, more guys get lapped.

It is rare for the leader to lap into the top 5. Last week Chad lapped the 4th place rider and I can only think of one other time where that happened - RC at Daytona '03.

AngryCandy

Mar 2, 2001
nephron said:
This weekend's race brings up another issue: Can anyone remember anyone in any sport that has (or has had) more desire, drive, will, 'fight to the death', will not lose attitude than RC?

Yep....the guy is like a boxer/fighter, in that respect. What's most impressive to me is how a short, goofy, red-headed, white kid can kick so much a$$ in arguably the most physically demanding sport on earth.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
AngryCandy said:
Yep....the guy is like a boxer/fighter, in that respect. What's most impressive to me is how a short, goofy, red-headed, white kid can kick so much a$$ in arguably the most physically demanding sport on earth.
RC plays soccer? :rotfl:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
No way Windham keeps RC behind him for 17 laps. Not a chance in the world. That might work for one or two laps, but in 17 laps he most definitely would have found a way past. In fact, I doubt it would have taken him more than a lap. Go faster through one set of obstacles and good bye Windham. RC's lap times were significantly faster than Windham's and all the blocking in the world won't stop someone who's that much faster than you from smoking you outright.

As for Reed's win last week, RC got hung up a bit on lappers and that slowed him down, which greatly helped Reed's cause. That helped RC a bit this week, but that's just a part of racing. What I found most telling was that once RC got past him, he left Reed for dead. There were no lappers involved, he just flat whooped up on him for the last lap of the race. He didn't win by a bike length, it was more like 20. That's a huge gap to pull in one lap. That's why I think Reed was so bummed on the podium; he realized he's got nothing on RC and that championship he longs to defend is slipping away before his eyes.

I don't put too much stock in practice or qualifying lap times. The fast guys don't tip their hands too much in practice, particularly when they are in separate motos. RC only goes as fast as he needs to to get first gate pick and then saves the rest for the race. That's one thing Bubba needs to learn. He lets it all hang out in practice or the heat race and lets everyone know how fast they need to go to beat him. That's a rookie mistake. It's one thing if you can dominate the field and they can't match your time because then it's a psychological tactic. However, Jedi mind tricks don't work on RC, Reed, and the rest of the boys.

Oh yeah, last week they lapped to third place. Ouch.

When you watch RC, do you get the feeling that if you met him at a beach resort in the off-season and beat him at shuffleboard, he'd stay up all night practicing so he could kick your ass in the morning?

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
mtk said:
When you watch RC, do you get the feeling that if you met him at a beach resort in the off-season and beat him at shuffleboard, he'd stay up all night practicing so he could kick your ass in the morning?
Yes, no question.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I just read an article on the race and RC crashed on lap 6 and passed Reed for good on Lap 18.

Nine seconds in 12 laps.

Ouch.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
That was a crazy race. Reed has gotten to RC a bit. Last weeks crash and then another crash this week. All with Reed very close by. Reed did not look good in the flat corners at all. Numerous times he completely blew the corners. And no surprise this is where RC got him twice.

Anybody catch Cameron's comment on RC? Matt Walker rides with RC and Walker said he was pissed all week. Put in something like 160 laps! He probably rode Monday thru Wed. maybe thurs and did 160 laps! RC don't like to lose and he proved it big time. Now its Reed's turn to come back. I hope he can.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I hope so and every single time people count out Reed he comes back to prove them wrong, he may well loose to RC this season but no one can say he doesnt try and give everything he has, i dont think hes mentally beat as yet-he doesnt really seem to do this-even when Bubba came past him out doors he still carries on and improves and learns, if RC has crashed 3 times in 2 weeks (once in a heat race)that doesnt show he has the situation under full control by a long way.......RC doesnt crash alot and the season is his to be won or lost.

If it wasnt for Reeds performance out doors last year(where people said he didnt have the speed to even see RC) and this seasons SX effort we would have the most boring season on record.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
marcusgunby said:
If it wasnt for Reeds performance out doors last year(where people said he didnt have the speed to even see RC) and this seasons SX effort we would have the most boring season on record.
Yup, even RC would be bored if Reed wasn't keeping him on his toes.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Reesknight said:
Yup, even RC would be bored if Reed wasn't keeping him on his toes.

I agree, see RC's pass on KW?, I was embarrassed for him. RC rode into him like a nobody lapper. He seemed pissed when asked about it, but what will he do? Nothing, he like all the rest, are just cruising around and taking the beating.

KW needs to get off that 450, if it's just gona make him fall asleep.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
lol :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
whyzee said:
That was one hell of a race. RC has got some stones on him!

JP, sorry we missed ya this year. should have given ya a call before hand.
Yeah, it sucked missing everyone. I wasn't sure I would be there until the last minute. Next year I will definitely have my act together early.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
SpectraSVT said:
That was a crazy race. Reed has gotten to RC a bit. Last weeks crash and then another crash this week. All with Reed very close by. Reed did not look good in the flat corners at all. Numerous times he completely blew the corners. And no surprise this is where RC got him twice.

Anybody catch Cameron's comment on RC? Matt Walker rides with RC and Walker said he was pissed all week. Put in something like 160 laps! He probably rode Monday thru Wed. maybe thurs and did 160 laps!

That's a day. He rides 160 laps a day.

There's a reason he never gets tired and that is it.

As for Reed not looking good, he had the rest of the field whooped by a longshot. Remove RC and he'd have looked totally unbeatable. Unfortunately for him, RC is a just flat-out a better rider.

As for crashing somehow being an indicator of him not having it under control, Valentino Rossi crashes and he's the best rider on earth and maybe of all time. Humans crash, it happens. Reed has also thrown it down the track more times than RC. The difference is, RC gets up and still wins.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom