KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Roll Call

Well, it looks like I won't be able to ride at all for at least another month. :( I was really hoping to make this ride since this Wednesday it will be an entire month since my surgery, but I can't even ride my mountain bike yet. DANG!

Thumbs, thanks for the organization!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Thumbs, I'll be staging at Big Pine seeing that I'm sticker. No need to camp as I live at the bottom of the hill. What is the ETD from Big Pine? 10-11am?

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Cavo - read your e-mail and call me ASAP re: valve adjustment.

Thumbs - thanks for the help; I'm still planning to ride Friday. Cell phones work out there depending on elevation; not sure about Big Pine. One of my group rides an XR650. He and my 440 will need about a gallon each.

socalwr - was that you with the DR/WR/XR group on ballbuster riding with the BBTRC club? If so, that was me watching you guys come up.

Jeff - Best way to Big Pine (not where we staged last time at Crab Flats) is to drive into Big Bear. Directions posted above. Looking forward to seeing your new truck. Rain made everything better!

KTM - bummer! Hope you heal up soon. Maybe we can do a smaller ride later this summer.

Sgr - I thought I read a prior post that Cpt Jack couldn't go. Check your e-mail.

William - figure about 10:00, depending upon how many Wedge Ranch stagers get stuck on John Bull.

Last edited:

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Please Read - Final Schedule/Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedge Ranch Stagers Depart 9:00 am

Big Pine Stagers - Depart 10:00 am (maybe a little later). Don't forget you'll need an adventure pass to park for the day.
Recommend checking out Malcolm Smith trail prior to Wedge Ranch stager arrival. Go in one mile to see/try first tough hill climb.

I'll bring "carry-maps" with emergency numbers.
If anyone uses FRS, we're on channnel 8/8.
Please gear up and bring water.
Please have spark arrestors.
Ride at your own risk and please be careful. (sorry if I sound paternal; I'm a father and a grand-father and I can't help it)
Dirtrections have been posted above.

Good news, the annual Jeep Jamboree was last weekend, but everywhere they went changed the "rock lines".

Hard saying what weather and temp will be. It's been cooler (70-80s) with thunderstorms, but expected to clear and heat up again. No rain in the forecast.

Thanks to all who helped and will help. I hadn't expected this much of a turn out.

I'm still on for the Friday pre-ride. If I'm not there by 11:30, I couldn't make it.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
mtngoat... adventure pass?

Where can I get one on the way? I'm down here in Redlands, so I can go either way - 330 or 18 - however my old truck prefers the 18. Greenspot Market maybe? Mmmmm... beef jerky. Gotta stop for that anyhow.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Geez, I just checked www.fsadventurepass.org and their link to "where to buy" is dead!
Greenspot may have them. If not, the Forestry Discovery Center is on your way to Big Pine from 18. It's located on the north shore, just west of the Forestry Station.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thumbs, yes we will be staging and camping at Big Pine. If you could hold a spot for us that would be great. We will be bringing my German Shephard. Does anyone know if this will pose any problems, or if there are any pet restrictions in that camp ground?

I'm am going to TRY and get Friday off or at least leave after a half day. We will be there Friday night at the latest.

I wonder if our Adventure pass is good for all National Forests..... guess I'll put in a call to find out.

You can count us in for the Sat. night BBQ. Thanks for all the planning and info guys. All very helpful :)

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
200 Jetting.

Hey Speedy, what jets you gonna stick in the Katoom? Going by the manual, I'm gonna start with the NOZI 1st notch, 172 main, 42 pilot, 2 turns out on the air screw. Knowing that the chart errs to the rich side, I'm tempted to run a 40 pilot and turn in the air screw a bit and maybe a 170 main. Whadda ya think?

Anyone else, ideas? KTMboy?

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
GSR, annual passes are good at all four of our national forests. I've seen dogs at Big Pine; should be fine, but there's probably a leash restriction.

Other Big Pine stagers, please let me know if you'd like to attend the BBQ at my cabin. Looks like most of the Wedge Stagers are on a day trip with sandwiches and drinks after the ride, but all are welcome. Looks like we have 8-10 for the BBQ so far.

I've made copies of "carry maps" for the ride, including emergency numbers, hospital directions and directions to my place. I'll drop off copies with Thumbs on Friday.

Anyone think of anything else we need to do, please post.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
William, It looks like the elev at Big Pine is about 6,800 ft. We just got back from Kennedy Meadows (elev. aprox. 6-7,000 ft) and I believe we threw a 162 main in (previously had a 168) and a 38 pilot (previously 40). The needle clip was in the highest notch, but I'm not sure what needle is in there. We will be ording more needles. I am going to check my carb tonight and verify those because I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure. :confused:

We ordered a bunch of jets before we went up there figuring the bike would be kind of sluggish before we jetted which it was, but when we pulled the jets out we discovered none of the jets we had would be sufficient. All our mains were 170 and higher. Thank goodness Kiwi had some to loan us.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thumbs - I will be getting in to Big Pine early Friday morn (maybe 9 AM or so ) - I'll be camping thru Sunday

SGR - I'm pretty sure Captain Jack can't make it - but if you still want to bike I'll bring mine along and we can tear up the trails

M-Goat - I'd love to attend the BBQ !

I am definitely up for a ride on Friday - maybe MountainGoat can show us the tough spots so I can figure out whether or not I'll be able to hack the tough stuff for Saturday's ride.

Also, I was planning on riding out to meet the Wedge Ranch Saturday group somewhere close to their point of origin but before the street legal only roads - that way I can get the full loop experience ... is this possible ? And might we stop at Big Pine quickly on the way through mid-loop so I can fuel up for the remainder ?

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
GSR - Lean?

Hummmm... I'd be afraid to run my bike that lean with the NOZI... but go figure. :think Let me know what needle that was with, if your doing the N13XX or N14XX tha'd be a different story.

mtngoat, thanks for the BBQ offer, but I think I'll be streching my leash as it is leaving the wife home alone with our newborn while I'm out riding. She's too good to me. :cool:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
William, just got off the phone with home base. :) Made a correction up above. We threw a 162 main in (there is no 163) :confused: and the 38 pilot was correct. I have the same needle as you, NOZI. TTRGuy thinks we could have gone leaner. Dunno what to tell ya, I'm new to all this but what we did seemed to work fine, the bike ran great.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
GSR - It sounds like you will be staying Friday & Saturday correct? If so I'll save you a site for both nights.

Eel & sgr - I have a mountain bike that I have only ridden once. Its spends all of its' time hanging from the ceiling of my garage. I think I'll bring it and clean out the cobb webs.

mtngoat - I don't think I'll make it to the BBQ but thanks for the offer.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thumbs, correct. We will be there Friday night and Saturday night. :)

Does anyone still need a CA Non-Resident reg sticker and can't find one? I just picked one up for TTRGuy at our local dealer for $20 bucks, if anyone needs one I would be happy to pick up more and bring them, just lemme know.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
William- I'm on a 360, so I don't know how much my jetting specs will help. I also just installed a 'Rad valve', so I just re-jetted.; however, last time I went up there I kept my desert jetting (3000' elevation) and changed my oil ratio to compensate for the altitude change. Right now I'm running a 165 main, a NOZG needle full lean position, and a 42 pilot. (360s' need to be rich on the pilot circuit.) The 'Rad valve' cleaned up the bottom and gave more over-all ummph to the bottom end! My plug readings right now are a very light tan. I'm also running the FMF 'Fatty/Turbine Core' combo.
As for the mixture, I normally run Belray HR1 full synthetic at 40:1, but for Big Bear last time I mixed a batch of 32:1, and didn't foul. Loss of power is not an issue for me, so getting it close is all I need.

Mtngoat-Appreciate the b-b-q offer; I'd love to stay and get to know everyone a little better, but I have to play it by ear, so if I do hang, you don't have to feed me. Sorry I'm so danged non-commital, but I too am married, and my wife is being very gracious about me disappearing all day by myself.

I'd like to thank mtngoat, thumbs, sgr, and all the others who have worked to put this together.:cool: I can't wait to get up there, and I'll definately show up early to pre-run the 'A"-loop. (Gotta try it while no-one's watching!):eek:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by mtngoat
KTM - bummer! Hope you heal up soon. Maybe we can do a smaller ride later this summer.

Mtngoat, thanks! A ride later this summer would be great.

Everybody else: Have fun, be safe & I look forward to reading your ride reports!!! :)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Big Pine Parking & "group" area

Parking for the day-trippers is on the right side in a clearing just past the 3N14/3N16 intersection next to Big Pine. The camp area has limited sites and parking, so we should plan to group in the clearing when the Wedge Stagers arrive. This is a major intersection that gets patrolled, so don't forget to have an adventure pass. I'll bring a few annual passes, just in case.

Eel, Big Pine is a stop, group and fuel area. Can't remember fuel capacity on an XR250 (2.2?), but you should be close to making the long loop on a tank. Maybe add a half gallon at Big Pine to be safe. Check your e-mail. See ya Friday morn.

Latest weather report calls for partly cloudy and temps in high 80s to low 90s. Should be a beautiful day. Planning shishkabobs at the BBQ.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
MTN Goat:

Count me and Ray and Thumbs in for the BBQ, Le tme know what kind of donations $$$ we can make. :)

Thumbs is bringing some extra unmixed gas for me at big pine. We'll bring extra and at a mere $10.00 per gallon it can be shared. (Just kidding on the charge)

Is it friday yet.:cool:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
GSR...

Sorry to keep buggin' ya but what premix were you running? 40:1? I tried to lean out my bike last ride by going to 32:1, but it spooged bad. I want to go back to 40:1.

Oh, and one last question... wanna race? :p

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
William, I always run 32:1. I've never changed or tried another mix. Maybe I should. Also last night we put in a 40 pilot and left the 162 main. The needle and clip position is the same (NOZI needle, clip top position). We'll see how that works for me when we get there. I hope I don't have to fiddle with it while I'm there.
Race?? Well if you find racing a snail exciting.... sure! :p

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
William & GSR (Jetting)

One thing you need to consider is that according to the manual your EXC should have started out with a little richer jetting than the MXC. The way I read the manual the EXC starts out with the main being 2 sizes richer, the pilot 1 size richer and the needle 1 size leaner. Adjust accordingly. Jets don't take long to change and we should have a handful of different ones if you need to borrow. It is doubtful that GSR will have her needles in time though.

Top Bottom