Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I learned about Magnecor from some WICKED SMART car guys. One of those not so well known premier companies :)

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
I was given an iCAT at an outdoor national for my 03KX but have yet to install and try it....I will try to do a dyno run and seat of the pants and give a report

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Guys : one of my pals JUMPIN JOE( 250 ex/mx )has one on his modded 02 CR250 and he swears that he could ride third gear turns easier and bike ran much crisper. his bike was probably a bit on the rich side to start with so now burned fuel better ? Anyway he had it on for like 3 weeks until he tried a 2 hour H/S and something went wrong and the bike was breaking up midrange/accel. The B8EGV electrode was burned down real far so he doesnt know if the plug burned up or the ICAT failed. since then hes running stock ign. How about the Fitch fuel catayst?

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I have one of the Fitch Fuel Catalyst and I think that it makes a difference. By no means will it give you a ton more HP but, the EX/C does run cleaner, crisper, and throttle response is a little bit better.

markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
OK so is anyone going to provide some real world research and facts on this product? Im curiouse to see how well it works. Still waiting.............

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Marcus it will be interesting to hear if the I-Cat perfers a richer setting? :think:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Marcus next time you dyno a Honda 125 , check the difference between steel clutch plates and running aluminum. a friend of mine was playnig with pipes one day with a 03 and was playing with timing etc and changed plates and said he found a difference with a wee bit more running the alum plates. I thought baloney but hey you never know?Less parasitic drag I guess.I told him to drain the gearbox and see what shell make but he wisened up to that one. His shop also had an exhaust fan that sucked the exhaust out of the pipe or atleast helped . I wonder if that could contribute to some of his gains. Stock test = fan off / Mod test= fan on, Extraction , Eh?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Marcus--I'm probably wrong again, but I'll bet zero difference in torque & hp (peak or auc) . You'll notice RPM seems to be missing in their data graphs. The YZ250 graph was hp vs. time. Therefore, a quicker revving motor (excuse the term) is always going to make more power at any point in time during acceleration , since hp is a funtion of rpm (but not time ;) ). What you're seeing on that graph is a 4-5 horse difference, simply because their motor is revving more at that point in time--something they purposefully neglect to share.

So, I'd bet:

1) you'll probably see no diff @ same rpm
2) A standard dyno (hp or torque as a function of rpm) will probably show no more difference in hp than billet butt bolts do.

...not that good throttle response isn't worth something, I would just rather someone design a multi spark CD unit that both gives fatter spark and transforms voltage up.

I'd also like to see what happens to coil voltage and current with this device.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Well, I put one on my 03 CR250. The only thing it seemed to do was make the bike rev faster. The articles that I read said that if your jetting is off, it might help clean that up, but I believe that I have mine pretty darn close and have been running the ultimate 2 fuel. So I cant say I saw any improvement other than it being quicker revving. Im no expert obviously, just my 2 cents.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I am a TWMX subcriber and they did a product reveiw and they gave it a 9 !!!?? they said nothing but praise about it. I am more inclined to beileive Rich or other DRN'ers than them(twmx) so why did they find some horsepower increase, since most people here(DRN) have not seen a definate performance gain or advantage?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by TheJunkMan
I am a TWMX subcriber and they did a product reveiw and they gave it a 9 !!!?? they said nothing but praise about it.

thats the same issue where they said something like, you cannot ignore the fact that more noise means more horsepower. :silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
thats the same issue where they said something like, you cannot ignore the fact that more noise means more horsepower. :silly:

Does that mean if Swap eats an extra serving of beans with lunch that he'll holeshot the second moto every Sunday? :eek:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
WOW this has fired people up:)ive heard claims of 5hp on a 250 but i couldnt find the dyno chart on the net, i know originally it was designed for forklift trucks, to help clean up the emmisions and it worked, so it must do something, if it produces more power i will be impressed.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by bclapham

I was going to point that out too... I guess 15 year old kids will believe anything cause sometimes I think that is their target readers.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
A twin turbo 750hp Lingenfelter vette isn't very loud. It probably sucks bigtime.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
ive heard claims of 5hp on a 250 but i couldnt find the dyno chart on the net.

5hp, that's like a 10% improvement. Very unlikely. I'd be suspect of any dyno report that showed a 5hp gain from a stronger spark.

My guess is that the only thing an i-cat will get you is shorter life from your spark plugs. Really, if the bike is jetted correctly and the ignition system is working properly, what else can a hotter plug offer.

Think about it. The manufacturers (Japan, Inc.) test all possible effects of timing and ignition output. Their choice is determined by many factors, but mostly performance and reliability. If they thought that there was a way to gain 5hp from a hotter spark they'd install a more powerful coil because 5hp IS worth a trade in reliability of a $2 spark plug.

I'm thinking if your bike performs better than it did with an i-cat, you had/have another problem.

markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
Well it seems everyone has some speculation but still no facts. Looking fwd to the DYNO test results . Thanks marcus.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Now all i can say is i havnt actually rode it-way too wet for that, but the dyno is a tool and it says no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom