Daytona spoiler!!!! Unbelievable

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Reed rides an incredible race and his bike dies with 2 turns to the finish WINDHAM WINS
I can not believe the frustration Chad must feel

A mud fest reminicent of Milleville watching RC lap the entire field. Reed road great but Windham just kept plodding along to take the win

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Excellent display of revealing charactor wouldn't ya say??????????

I rather watch a mud race any day then sitting in the stadium at indy watching a boring jump jump jump turn track.

You can tell an amatuer built the race track!!!! RC may be the GOAT, but when you know RAIN is in the forcast, you don't dig holes!!!! Hell i know that, because if you do, you will need a BOAT>!

excellent race!

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
That race was AWESOME to watch from my nice dry, warm, couch... Even though I really don't like Reed, I felt pretty bad for him. Lucky for him, it was on the last lap and he had already lapped most of the field by then, so he ended up in a 6th... and still has a 24 point lead over Windam...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Reed was lucky, I would have docked him for passing off the track. Keep kicking chad, it may by some miracle fix itself! What an awesome plume of smoke, truly outstanding! And it could not have happened any better. How about the Michigan Mafia? Marsack came from 17th, a couple more laps and he could have won! And Klatt held on for awhile! That pic of the bike stuck upside down was cool, and how they eventually got it out. Sure wonder whats up with RV, wrist messing with him that much, and his recovery from earlier issues? I believe Erin had her skull boots on. Keep kicking chad, keep kicking!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
How about Marsack with a 3rd and Balbi with a top 5! Overall, this race was lots of fun to watch.

I feel bad for Reed, as he clearly dominated the race. But he did get away with one with his off track pass of KW. I figured they would penalize him 5 or 10 seconds, which, as it turned out, would not have made a difference in the results.

I think RV is riding about as fast as ever, he's just making a few more mistakes. Very easy to do on a track like last night's. Not sure about his pre-season injuries, but the East Coast Lites Round 1 injury/DNF was a fluke, and really put him in a hole to start the season.

And Canard is freaking awesome. That guy is riding GREAT and getting the starts. He showed potential at the end of last year's MX season, but I am extremely impressed at his SX skills and how quickly he has developed. Even if he does not get any better, he will be a force for years to come.

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
Reed was the fastest guy on the track for sure, but the way he was bag riding his bike I am amazed it didn't calve out earlier. Or maybe the motorcross gods were looking down on him for course cutting.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I dont feel bad for reed at all. Aside from the fact that he made an illegal pass on windham.......

When you race in the mud like that it is a battle of survival for the bike. He had a huge lead and he still pushed it. Not a smart move in those conditions and he paid the price for it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
mkelly04 said:
I dont feel bad for reed at all. Aside from the fact that he made an illegal pass on windham.......

When you race in the mud like that it is a battle of survival for the bike. He had a huge lead and he still pushed it. Not a smart move in those conditions and he paid the price for it.
But by pushing and still lapping guys up to his end he at least guarentedd a 6th place finish. If he had just sat back and settled in not lapping additional people towards the end and his bike died he would have finished even farther back.
BTW anyone want a YZ450F I'll bet it was still sitting out there for quite a while after he walked away from it :laugh:

Dec 10, 2006
I really dont like read but I cant help but feeling bad for him. It looked like after his bike quit he was pointing at his mechanic or something. Was he mad at him?
I was really hoping canard would win. He was my favorite when he was in amateures and he still is!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Great race! Best in years IMO..
Good thing the AMA didn't have to rule one it, no doubt re-entering /passing would have cost him, not to mention the 2-3 other times he cut, but... I REALLY feel for the guy. Gutsy effort. Give K-Dub his due, he's BACK this year!

Historic stuff!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Keep kicking chad, it may start! LMFAO!

:nod: Yea, it clearly had no compression after that smoke cloud came out of it. It would be interesting to find out what failed. Big hole in the piston, maybe?

Reed was dominating and making a huge statement with the butt kicking he was placing on the field. We'll never know if his bike would have held together if he'd backed it down a notch, but he certainly was pushing the pace.

How about Klatt in the heat race? Leading for the first time in his AMA career, and he just buries the back end up the fender in a rut! And then the track just got worse and worse.

ETA: Just checked the AMA page and it looks like Reed was pushed back to 7th. Must have been penalized one spot after all.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
sprocket74 said:
How is Reed guaranteed a 6th place finish? I thought he dnf'd?
When the first place (Windham) got the checkers everyone finished
the lap they were on. Only 6 riders were on the same lap as Windham because everyone had been lapped at least once. Reed was the last person on that lap (#15 and had completed 14 laps) after being passed by those finishing. The seventh place rider only completed 13 laps and would have been starting his 14th lap.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Technically I don't see where there was a penalty, the rule states that if you leave the track you must re-enter the first safe place to do so, (In those conditions that would have been way to subjective to rule on, especially since riders in both the lite and big bikes heats and LCQs had done similar off track moves) and further more it states a rider may not gain a position while off track, it doesn't say anything about passing while re-entering. And seeing as he was in 1st when he went off, he couldn't gain a position when he re-entered.

As far as RC being an armature track designer because he designed holes with rain in the forcast, the track was designed months ago long before they knew it was going to rain. And even with rain in the forecast, until just a couple days before, after the track had been mostly built, they were still predicting only 50% chance of rain in the Daytona area.

AMA motocross website is showing Reed as finishing 7th and only completing 10 laps?? From what I saw he completed 11 and was on 12 when the bike quit.

Last edited:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
those bikes ran a LONG time on fuel, water and sand. all the exhaust you see spewing out of those bike was water. It's wonder they didn't foul a plug sooner. I fouled one like that in those conditions after a lap at Casey SC race in 2000. It was knarly.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
wardy said:
You can tell an amatuer built the race track!!!! RC may be the GOAT, but when you know RAIN is in the forcast, you don't dig holes!!!! Hell i know that, because if you do, you will need a BOAT>!
I myself would not refer to multi-time MX & SX champion, 25+ year track designer and builder, and long-time DirtWorx employee, Mark "The Bomber" Barnett, as an amateur!

There is a boat-load full of championships when you combine Barnett's and Carmichael's together.

Let's face it; this was a budget decision. The Daytona Int'l. Speedway most likely didn't want to pony up the extra cash to haul extra dirt in and out of the speedway.

It would have been a much better racetrack and made for better racing, for sure, if they had, IMHO.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'm watching the races right now, and it sure seems like it would have been an awesome race track, had it not rained.

Watching RC ride the dry track, and looking at the shapes and layout of everything, I think a dry track would have made for some great racing. I really liked the long, rolling rhythm sections and the mogul sections.

The double and triple jumps all had safe landing sections (flat-top) so that these guys can still try to jump them, even in these conditions, without fear of casing them badly and crashing or hurting themselves.

I hope that Mark and Ricky get to do this again. I think the two of them could do a better job on the stadium tracks than what we have been seeing lately.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'm also wondering if running a Rekluse auto clutch would have helped prevent some of the stalling that is going on with everyone falling so much.

I just saw the end. That would be tough for anyone!

I've always wondered why the mechanics don't add some extra radiator for mud races, like this. It would not be all that difficult to do. (I've done it on road race bikes.)

Of course, Chad would have probably finished & won if he would have simply rode a two stroke!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpDyKen said:
I'm also wondering if running a Rekluse auto clutch would have helped prevent some of the stalling that is going on with everyone falling so much.
They probably would have burned one up, from what I've read about them
SpDyKen said:
I've always wondered why the mechanics don't add some extra radiator for mud races, like this. It would not be all that difficult to do. (I've done it on road race bikes.)
I think the factory mechanics do that anyway, no matter the circumstances.
SpDyKen said:
Of course, Chad would have probably finished & won if he would have simply rode a two stroke!!
or would have siezed up sooner.

Anyone else notice the Leprechaun on a thumper when he tried out the track?

Top Bottom