Daytona spoiler!!!! Unbelievable

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
SpDyKen said:
I'm watching the races right now, and it sure seems like it would have been an awesome race track, had it not rained.

I dunno... I personally enjoyed watching this race more than any other race I can think of in recent memory... There is just something about watching the best mx racers in the world riding in the most AWFUL conditions that I've ever seen.

I also don't think you can fault Reed too much for riding at a fast pace (considering the conditions) even though he had a 1+ minute lead. IMHO, breaking out of your zone to ride conservative in those conditions will make it MUCH more likely that you'll have an incident. It was really just bad luck that his Yamaha crapped out on him when it did... Factory bikes in general only have about a 2 hour engine life time, so it is amazing that so many bikes made it at all...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
There sure was a lot of ill sounding bikes out there! KW's bike in particular.
No kidding! I was surprised he finished....

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
sorry but they said in the interview it was "their choice" to build it like the "old" days. No biggie it provided for a great race and nothing is a better equalizer then a mud fest.

they quit building the tracks like this in 2002? somewhere in there is what they talked about in that interview.

Ok so they aren't amateurs. But as a person who works on, owns, and has built tracks.......LOL it wasn't the best way to make a track. Looked amatuer to me.

:)

but it was fun to watch, hell i watched it three times. nothing like watching those thumpers run on water. It's a wonder more of them didn't foul plugs. Usually that is the first thing that goes wrong. they were lucky that mud was slimely and not gumbo!!!!!!!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
They probably would have burned one up, from what I've read about them
I know that the Rekluse will last for a 24 hour race. (Perry Mtn. 24-Hr. Challenge, KTM 300EXC.)
XRpredator said:
I think the factory mechanics do that anyway, no matter the circumstances.
Yes, that is correct, they do. What I was referring to is adding on another, third radiator, (or whatever works,) beyond their usual set-up for a dry race. Some mud races would have plugged up the radiators worse than this water filled, sandy/sloppy track did.
XRpredator said:
or would have siezed up sooner.
I've seen more blown factory motors in the 4-stroke era than I did in the 2T era before it. Remember J.S. smoking a motor outdoors last year?

XRpredator said:
Anyone else notice the Leprechaun on a thumper when he tried out the track?
He rode a 2T in his Atlanta parade laps, when he didn't have to "test" his track design out for the other riders.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
YamaB said:
I dunno... I personally enjoyed watching this race more than any other race I can think of in recent memory... There is just something about watching the best mx racers in the world riding in the most AWFUL conditions that I've ever seen.

I also don't think you can fault Reed too much for riding at a fast pace (considering the conditions) even though he had a 1+ minute lead. IMHO, breaking out of your zone to ride conservative in those conditions will make it MUCH more likely that you'll have an incident. It was really just bad luck that his Yamaha crapped out on him when it did... Factory bikes in general only have about a 2 hour engine life time, so it is amazing that so many bikes made it at all...
I agree with both your comments.

The great thing about this track is that even with the bad conditions, all of the riders could still attack the track aggressively, without fear of major crashes, or injuries. There was no one section that created a bottleneck, or particular hazard for the riders. They were not afraid to try to jump anywhere! I was impressed with how hard almost everyone was charging.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
wardy said:
sorry but they said in the interview it was "their choice" to build it like the "old" days. No biggie it provided for a great race and nothing is a better equalizer then a mud fest.

they quit building the tracks like this in 2002? somewhere in there is what they talked about in that interview.

Ok so they aren't amateurs. But as a person who works on, owns, and has built tracks.......LOL it wasn't the best way to make a track. Looked amatuer to me.

:)

but it was fun to watch, hell i watched it three times. nothing like watching those thumpers run on water. It's a wonder more of them didn't foul plugs. Usually that is the first thing that goes wrong. they were lucky that mud was slimely and not gumbo!!!!!!!
I bet they will consider hauling in extra dirt next year, or they will if they are smart.

My point was that, with the exception of going below the natural grade, it was a great track. Like you said, even with this one problem, it made for some fantastic racing.

I do also understand your point; everyone knows when you dig a hole, it fills up with water when it rains! Did you happen to see any of the shots of what it looked like, late Saturday afternoon? They were showing it alot during the 200 & the Superbike race. Still mostly a lake! This, after a sunny & windy day, in sand.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Canard, Villapoto, Carmichael....
Must be something in the genes with "red hair people."
I know these grays I've got popping up don't do a THING for me. :think:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Canard, Villapoto, Carmichael....
Must be something in the genes with "red hair people."
I know these grays I've got popping up don't do a THING for me. :think:

I have a red headed friend, and he is really fast also. weird :coocoo:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
LOL i can relate to it i guess is why. We did the same thing at our little track and found out in a hurry it makes things difficult.
by far the 'best' race in a long time to watch, and show the true talents of racers we have today at that level.

Very good display of the type of riders coming up the pike so to speak, these next crop of riders are showing some really good results, and doing it as rookies.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpDyKen said:
I know that the Rekluse will last for a 24 hour race. (Perry Mtn. 24-Hr. Challenge, KTM 300EXC.)
I would bet they would last when there isn't a lot of abuse and slippag. I would have liked to see how one survived that mud fest. I've never ridden a bike with one, but have read that if you don't keep it in the right gear they'll burn up like Dennis the Menace's marshmallow.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
XRpredator said:
I would bet they would last when there isn't a lot of abuse and slippag. I would have liked to see how one survived that mud fest. I've never ridden a bike with one, but have read that if you don't keep it in the right gear they'll burn up like Dennis the Menace's marshmallow.

It is because people don't install them correctly.. Actually you won't wear out the Rekluse clutch, you will burn up the bike's clutch plates..

from an installation write up.

"The measured gap is critical to proper function and longevity. Installation requires measuring clearances and stacking the appropriate combination of stock and z-start drive plates to get the correct operating clearances. Set per Rekluse specs. Run it for a while under load to get it broken in and recheck the clearance. If needed, adjust it within spec. I like to run the gap on the low end of spec for a strong engagement. If you run too large a gap you will not get full engagement and will quickly burn out your clutch. "

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
wardy said:
Excellent display of revealing charactor wouldn't ya say??????????

I rather watch a mud race any day then sitting in the stadium at indy watching a boring jump jump jump turn track.

Wardy, FredT and I sat there in the rain and said the same thing. You will not see that kind of race in Indy or Detroit. No lead was safe - fun to watch.
The Yamaha officials did not allow the bike to stay in the mud. They picked it up before too many pictures were taken.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
Wow I thought that was the new "Blackwater 100"! They just needed those palmettos. As bad as the track was, it could of been worse. It was wet and sloppy but not gooey. I was at the Dallas SX mudrace and it was clay. It was like nasty ice. People falling down just trying to make their way to the starting gate.

Ya know they could of added a bunch of big rocks and laid some telephone poles across the track. Maybe added some culverts and big tractor tires too. Could of been the Daytona Last Man Standing Super Endurocross.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
wardy said:
It's a wonder more of them didn't foul plugs. Usually that is the first thing that goes wrong.

I think it's because a thumper plug is pretty much "sealed" by the rubber boot, unlike a 2-stroke that just has the little cap on top of the plug, but the actual plug is somewhat exposed on the top of the head.

But I gotta admit, I had a great time watching the race! Canard was unbelieveable, the rookie really did well, despite some choices that seemed pretty risky. Reed cut the track so many times that I was happy when the Yamaha let loose, plus what better drama could you ask for a few turns before the finish? Even the announcers with a lap to go said "his mechanic has to be hoping the bike holds together for one more lap" or something like that.... then.... smoke! Those CRF's seemed to hold up well. Would have liked to see RC out there, wonder how he would have stacked up. Cool race, I always love a mudder, as long as I'm not out there ;)

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I was screaming at the tv when Chad kept cutting the track. That was crazy. The last one was rediculous. You could see him looking at Kevin and not at where he should have reentered.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Fun race to watch...I'm kind of disappointed that Reed ended up cutting the track as much as he did. Takes away from how well he really rode until the big "kaboom".
I guess one could say he got what he deserved...

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
fouling the plug nik is from sucking all that water thru the motor and it builds up (dirt and grime) on the electrode. It happen to me at LTM in 2000. My bike fouled a plug after going thru big water all over the course in a driving rain.......needless to say i went from a 1/2 lap lead on bob pistole to a DNF, and he won! dam ktm thumper.

OH AND BY THE WAY, since when do you "Finish" when you don't get a checkered flag. I raced at RED BUD in 1980, LL qualifier. Raced my BUTT off went by as I seen all the boy sitting waiting for a "checkered flag", thinking ha! i have two more laps then these idiots and even though they are faster then me I am making the laps.......

they got the checkered flag, I only got a white flag.

they beat me;

i understand chad reed and 11 laps ahead of the others, but he didn't recieve the checkered flag........ oh how times have changed.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
wardy said:
OH AND BY THE WAY, since when do you "Finish" when you don't get a checkered flag.

I was under the impression that if you don't take the checkered, it's marked as a DNF too...

Seems AMA must love Chad a little too much.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
XRpredator said:

The Perry Mtn 24 hour is a lot of abuse! I ran it in 2005 with a team. We used a KTM300EXC and tore that puppy up.

12 laps at Daytona was a lot of slipping and abuse on the clutch but I believe after my person experience with a Rekluse in my 2003 CRF450 that it can take it.

Ivan

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
IndyMX said:
I was under the impression that if you don't take the checkered, it's marked as a DNF too...

Seems AMA must love Chad a little too much.
Chad finished his 11th lap ahead of everyone. Only 5 riders completed 12 laps.

Should all of the rest of the field be listed as "DNF," since they did not complete 12 laps? Of the people that completed only 11 laps, Chad "finished" those 11 laps first, way ahead of the remainder of the riders. Thus, he 'earned' 6th.

I sure am glad that they penalized Chad. It was ridiculous how he was "racing" across the grass each time he took one of his short-cuts. They should have also told him that they would double the penalties, should he do it again. These were flagrant violations.

Top Bottom