the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I would imagine somebody must have an extra bike for you to use ...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Have a party to attend on the 4th. trying to talk my neighbor into going up for one or two days.

Tony. How's your boy doing??

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
For me:

Plan A, is to drive up early Sat and leave late Sunday or

Plan B, Drive up midday on Friday planning to arrive in time to get in a short ride and an extra night of camping.

My wife wants to do the neighorhood BBQ thing on the 4th, so I will be heading home late Sunday, probrably after dark.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
My son

Ol'89r said:
Tony. How's your boy doing??

Terry,

He still can't ride a bike (powered or otherwise). He used to be able to ride a wheelie on a bike all the way down the block. And, of course, he could do scary stuff on the YZF450. I may have mentioned on here that he was doing those crazy desert natural terrain jumps over 100 ft. I don't think I had those kind of balls at 16. It's kind of odd that a motocross triple jump did him in.

He's in special education at his "normal" high school. He does OK with math now, maybe at a 5th grade level (he's 16). He looks completely normal looking at him, and talks normally (for a 16 year old). He did get his driver's license recently (he had done all the book work prior to his head injury on Jan 23).

He and I have lost alot. I'm just a guy that lives 2 hours away from him that he's seen a handful of times in the past 5 months. Things we would do together in the past, he's not even excited about. I'm worried that it's easy for him to get in the wrong crowd.

We normally spend the summers together in Montana, riding bikes, and flying planes, shooting gophers, river rafting, piddling around in my dad's machine shop, or at my uncle's ranch. He's not interested now.

I flew the Baron up to my parent's place in Montana in April. He never even asked to handle the controls, or fiddle with the radios / GPS. Five hours each way.

I sold almost all the bikes, since I didn't think I'd be able to ride for a year or so after my foot fractures on Jan 1. I can run on a tread mill now, but I pay the price the next day with limping. I'll keep working it.

My 5 year old keeps asking me to take him out on his PW50, like I did for his older brother when he was 5. Just don't have the heart in it anymore.

I would like to do a ride, though. I might even buy that new YZF450 when it comes out for 2006. Might even get a new FJR1300 street bike... I've never had a *real* street bike.

I suppose I should at least clean my riding gear !

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tony.

Sorry to hear his recovery has been so slow. Sounds like he is on the road to recovery though. Thank God he has you, your a good dad. :cool:

Bring him up to KM, just to hang out with the crew.

Don't get discouraged. Time heals all.

Terry

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll arrive early morning on Friday, July 1st, and leave late on Saturday, July 2nd. Just an overnite stay but I am ready to ride ! I'll be bringing the little Husky this year ... the Gas Gas is down for repairs.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Never heard of Kennedy Meadows before. I was just wondering about how many hours from Riverside it is. I know it's up the 395. What kind of riding is it?

Thanks

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
About 2-3 hours from Riverside to the turnoff and then another hour or so up the hill to the camping.

Single track in the mountains.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
CspineRider said:
Never heard of Kennedy Meadows before. I was just wondering about how many hours from Riverside it is. I know it's up the 395. What kind of riding is it?

Thanks

Come on up, it's alot of fun and totally different than what you'll find in the desert. Here's a picture from a year or so ago.

FYI it looks like I'll be heading up solo early on the 2nd on leaving late on the 3rd.

Attachments

• KMWRIN~1 copy5.JPG
    KMWRIN~1 copy5.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 92
  • KMREXJ~3 copy5.JPG
    KMREXJ~3 copy5.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 94

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Alright since we are in sunny SoCal now it looks like I'll be there either Thurs afternoon or Friday morning, got some bike work to do etc. FarmerJohn where are you? If you come down bring my front wheel, rim etc. I'll have my bike trailer and truck and try to save a couple spots in the usual area of fish creek.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I plan on solo-ing and will be there between noon and 2pm, Friday if someone wants to do a good afternoon loop; would tag along with any skill level except for the foll-hearted trail-making variety as I'm done with trailside camping improvisions (razzing to follow). Saturday two loops or one big one, and I'll sign up for cabose - nursing a recovering knee although a brace will make this one trip possible.

Tony: need a bike? I can bring both as my sons probably have work - will know 4 sure later next week. You don't mind a 250 smoker? And one that sprung for 155 lbs? I can put a heavier sping in the back but I don't have anything else for the front (if you do carry more meat than that skinny old guy who's name I won't mention here - don't want to discrace his honor nor show disrespect. Hint: older than dirt.)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
placelast said:
- don't want to discrace his honor nor show disrespect. Hint: older than dirt.)

:ohmy: Well John, it's too late for that!!! :yikes: :moon:

Hey Tristan, where ya been hiding?

Is everyone planning on staying at Fish Creek?

Ol'derthandirt

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
FarmerJohn? Calling FarmerJohn....you gonna make it down this year? If you do, try to remember to throw my front rim in the truck. Pretty please? I vow not to be deathly ill this year lol. Looks like I am going to head up Thursday early, will try to rope off a few spots in the usual spot (towards the end of the fish creek loop by the water spigot.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Eddie,

Trying to make it....I just got a new travel trailer :)
I have family coming to visit @ the end of the week, gotta work Saturday...I'm hoping to leave straight from work, get to KM about midnight...

I got your #, will give you a call tonight.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Standing offer for free firewood for anyone that dosent mind wearing a bullit proof vest to come to south LA to pick it up.

I havent cemented my plans yet if I am taking off Friday or not, so I will be either friday afternoon or Saturday mourning, leaving pending arrival, either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.

Placelast, or any others that may need 2-stroke oil, give me a hollar and I will be sure to bring up.

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
I noticed that Mr Luckey mentioned something about a water spigot. Is there a place for me to get fresh water for my RV? Mike (CspineRider) and I are really try to get this trip together. I just want to know if I can leave Riverside with a min. amount of water, as not to carry the extra weight up the hill. What is the area like? Is there enough space for me to bring my 33' RV and trailer, and Mike with is Jamboree and small trailer?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Long story short until I have the energy for a real report but I most likely wont ride much if any this weekend, I'll be there to get firewood, cook and keep watch on the campsites. My bike is in a very remote ravine up in the Piutes above Jawbone with a seriously blown motor. After almost 7 hours of hiking and a bit of riding 2 up with about 2 hours in total darkness except a mini mag with nearly dead batteries, my body most likely won't be up to much more than camp queen. Body recovery time estimate is around a full week. Bike recovery estimate is anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on the availability of 2 guys on mules who really want to make a few dollars lol.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
One more question, how do quads and ATC's do out their? Are the trails to narrow? Reason I ask is because my wife rides a ATC250R and Tom's wife and kids all have quads. What is the nearest big city that would be on a map closest to Kennedy Meadows? Is it Pearsonville?

Last edited:

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
When was the last time someone has been to KM? I was searching the web for more info but came up with little.From what I do see, it's beautiful up there. I know Mike and I are asking alot of questions right now. We just want to get the info straight before heading out to the unknown. Thanks for all the help that you are providing.

Top Bottom