KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
Which campground are you all staying at? I want to plan on coming up but I am hesitant to make plans when I don't know anything about where anyone will be staying. Please advise.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Folks I'm out. Rhona would like to do something different this year for the holiday and I gotta bite the bullet. Have a blast - hopefully I'll see you next time !

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Im waffleing, since this was going to be camping for me more than riding, I may nix the bikes all together and head on up to Mammoth Lakes vicinity to fish with the kids. Or I may still drive up to just to camp. Ill let yall know.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm still in for a day's riding on either the 6th or 7th.

I come in from the west and stage near Sherman Pass Vista, so I won't be camping.

Depending on exactly where I stage, it is about a 10 to 12 mile ride over to Troy Overflow. I could probably be to Troy by 8:30 am and would be happy to hook up with someone to either ride the trails north of Troy, or head back to the far west for trails like Schaeffer Meadow.

So anyone who will be around on the 6th or 7th and wants to start a ride around 8:30 - 9:00 am, please say what day, describe your rig and where you will be at.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I am going to be getting up there late afternoon on the 4th. I plan to try and get the same spot we had last year at Troy overflow (seemed to work well).

Last I knew Natalie wasn't going to make it this year. Tonia will be coming up sometime Friday and mostly be hanging around camp, hiking with Nikita etc. If I can find a beginner type bike I do plan on getting her on it some though.

I may swing through Troy and check out how many paved spots we could get but I imagine I'll be at the overflow.

Silver Tundra, Black enclosed bike trailer, KTM and a Siberian Husky will be in my camp.

Glad to hear you are coming up Carlo and Terry!!!! Does that mean I need to plan on 1 more Tri-Tip and more mandras lentils?

kx250 - it's nearly impossible to know exactly where we will be...its first come first serve - We'll either be at Troy or Troy overflow (most likely), not hard to find us in either one. Come on up and look for my truck, trailer, bike and dog.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
:( Looks like Masterblaster and I are out. He has a job lined up for the end of the week and I havn't recieved the tags back for my bike from DMV yet. :bang: Damn the DMV! :yell:

Could someone tell Carlo how to get to Troy? I usually don't go past Fish Creek by road.

Have fun everyone. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Troy Meadow is about 2 miles past Fish Creek on the main road.

The main Troy Meadow campground is north of the road (on the right side as you are coming in).

The Troy Overflow is maybe 1/2 mile south of Troy Meadow (you have to make a left off the main road, heading south). According to the maps, the Overflow is on the Sam Lewis Road, aka 21S97. If you keep going on that road you would hit the Mahogany Creek Trail.

I don't usually ride or drive over that way, but if I remember correctly the signage is good.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ok, we are leaving on friday morning early and will be there around 0900. we'll stay over till saturday and ride in the morning then leave. I'll have 3 with me. I'll check back and get the place for camping at the beginning of the week!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For those who have not been up there before, I highly recommend dropping your needle down (aka raising the clip) at least one groove if you are used to riding in the high desert or at Hungry Valley, and two grooves if you ride close to sea level.

If you ride a 450+ thumper, you probably don't have to change your jetting, as you will still have plenty of power for the tight single track.

Some of the trails are 9,000'+ elevation, and the little bikes don't breathe so good up there without a little jetting attention.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
When you say main road, you mean the 9 mile canyon off the 395 one? I looked on the map and saw Kennedy meadows, then further up was fish creek. Am I on the right track? Let me know, thanks. If you have the gps coord's then can those be posted? We will have a motorhome to sleep in so how do we get a campsite or do we just park? And do we need a forestry adventure pass? Thanks
Carlo (Elk)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Go up 9 mile canyon road, after you descend and its fairly flat the paved road will either go straight or curve to the left. GO LEFT, you will pass the general store (on your right). Follow the paved road and you will first pass Fish Creek on your left, then Troy on your right...Troy overflow is about a mile or two past Fish Creek (entrance on your left). No adventure pass needed and the overflows are free camping. I plan to be there early enough to secure a spot big enough for everyone - just look for my truck, trailer and dog.

Troy overflow is a big loop that ends where it starts, if we get the same spot as last year go left immediately upon entering and we'll be a few hundred yards down on the left, right by a big right hand turn.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Its been my experience that dropping the needle AND pilot even on 450's is well worth it (possibly the main but you likely won't be on the main jet much). You'll mainly be riding 3-4000 ft above jawbone or hungry valley elevation. Starting the beasts is something you don't want to fight with at 9,000 ft.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Your on the right track. Be sure to merge left at the General Store in KM. Troy is just past Fish Creek.

Corner of Troy overflow and road: 36.064531* N 118.240535* W

If you go left imediatly entering troy overflow, there will be a spigot where you can get water so you can drive up dry. 9 mile is a little steep and HOT.

I cant believe it, elk finally makes it up and I wont be there.

Top Bottom