Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Ouch... I didnt even get to wreck today or do anything embarassing except..... got to the track... the FIRST time I was every going on a for real track with my new bike! I went Saturday but by the time I had finished breaking the bike in it was closing. HAHA...

So today I get there just after 4:30. I am all dressed up, looking purty (well as purty as I ever will... which aint saying much... lol). Bike is all clean and armor all in the right spots (nope, not on the seat!)

Stand around at the locked gate... no one there... wait.... wait... ok, well I am early anyway, doesnt open till 5:30 for real but figured I could get inside and ride around the trails... Hm... this is odd no one here and its 5 now but hey, another 30 minutes... no biggie.

About that time this nice guy drives up in his pickup with his bike in the back. Neat... now we are getting somewhere. He and I talk and wait for someone to open the gate..... boring... boring....

Finally he calls the track on his cell phone. Closed! Said it was "too wet"!

So, I go home and smile at my wife who wonders what I am doing home so early. I mumbled something about 'too wet" and wandered off :D

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
That's definitly Ivan in that pic, That weekend was the first time I had ever been to a track, Ivan was trying to demonstrate how to scrub speed :joke: .

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
That was at the 2000 Suthin SpodeFest and, at that point, Ivan had both the longest and the worst wheelie awards wrapped up.

We had planned to each make 3 attempts, but after that we decided that 2 was enough!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
MEW, Let me give you some advice. Since you are a noob rider, that 1st ride requires very important and drastic measures. All eyes will be watching you so it's important that you make your 1st ride count. Much the same way a newly incarcerated convict must establish ground rules by picking a fight with the biggest dude on the cell block the 1st day in prison, it's imperative that as soon as you get your gear on, you warm the bike by revving it to the moon immediately after starting it. Kick it into to gear and without as much as a parade lap to check out the track, you have to find the biggest triple there and over jump it by 30 feet. If you fall you can blame it on a malfunction and keep the scars as souvenirs. This is the only way to gain respect in the motorcycle community.

Of coarse the reality is that the people riding are too busy to notice if you are the next Carmichael (unless you are blazing fast). Most likely you will have far more people willing to help than ones that stand around and laugh. I think it was my 3rd or 4th time to ever race and my 1st time to ever race a track away from home that I fell in a corner where spectators were lined up to watch the race. I was sure as I tried with all my might to pull my bars out of the dirt to no avail, that the people would start laughing. You know what? They didn’t! It’s all about fun my friend and from one guy to another, treat it like sex, not everyone gets the same out of it as you do but if your happy, that’s all that counts. (motorcycles that is) :p

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
I once pulled up to my vehicle after a ride and promptly fell over. This was in front of about 12 people.

I wish I could count how many times I did that.

Ivan that is a great picture! I love it!!

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Just remember MEW, looking cool is half the battle. You should do fine as long as you dont show up in "White boots"

:ugg: But I was told they would make me go fast on the track and allow me to affect the appeareance of a stylish yet knowledgeable and talented member of the motocross community while off the track--I would have bought the Chrome boots but the guy was all out. :laugh:

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
fender92883 said:
Crashing happens to everybody. Show me a guy who's never crashed a bike and I'll show you a guy who's never sat on a vehicle with less than 3 wheels.

Well, I almost qualify...The only times I have crashed a bike is when something on it breaks, which has happened 3 times, and all three of those times it just ended up laid over on its side.

I have crashed a quad before though. Was riding along this trail, and came upon this log, about 8" in diameter. A skinny little trail went around one side. (there was about a 4 foot verticle hillside on the right side of the trail, the log on the left) I had been on this trail before, usually zipped around the log no problem. But that was on my dirtbike.

By the time I realized my "slight" error of judgement, I was laying sideways on the log, the quad resting on my leg, where it had fallen sideways due to the sloped hillside. For the first time since riding that quad, I was happy that it has an automatic clutch (since my leg was between the fender and the rear wheel ;)

After hitting the kill switch, I managed to take enough weight off my leg to pull it out, limped around for a minute, then pulled the quad off the log and decided that I wasnt going to risk life and limb for another 1/4 mile of riding (where the private land ended and the King County "No Motorized Vehicles Permitted" land began)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
If you are truly talented, you always have an audience.

In the Tag Team MudScramble of 02, I missed the parade lap because we were scrounging a helmet for my son who forgot his. Karl insisted I start the race cause that's the best part. So I got a good start, came around the first corner right in front of pit row and the majority of the spectators and there was the biggest mudhole I've ever seen. I hit it too slow and tipped over in it about halfway through.

2nd lap, I was determined not to fall over so I slowed down - oops. The rear wheel sank into the mud so deep it took 3 guys to help me pull it out.

I've since expanded my skills as to provide more entertainment on trails instead of tracks. Just a couple weeks ago I was able to demonstrate my latest skeleton racing/luge technique on the snowy slopes of the Moonrocks riding area in Reno. Just glad Karl didn't have the helmet cam that time!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
MadEarthWorm said:
I'm stressed people, yeah, I'm a noob for sure but if I step on the scene by myself and just take dirt samples all day I don't think I'm gonna be too happy with the situation, especially since I have to go alone.

I don't know squat about riding bikes, so I'm looking for advice. Yes, I've already heard "grow a pair" thank u very much. :laugh:

P.S. I make up for my neurotic tendencies by buying my friends drinks and supporting Dirtrider.Net. :thumb:

MEW: Welcome to my world. :flame: I can't even get my 400 started with the kickstarter unless somebody else does it for me (ask anyone that went to Reno). GSR ran over and shut it off, because my pants were around my knees (don't ask) when it boiled over.

I wear Mad Max (for real, they are HiPoints) boots that everyone laughs at. Blackhawk (she is a graphic artist) said .... Nice Outfit! when she saw me in black boots, yellow pants, orange jersey and putting on a purple windbreaker while my blue helmet, yellow gloves and orange bike awaited me!

I may not ride worth a S***, but get me between the sun and ANYBODY (except Zio) and you are mine unless you have welding goggles on! :p

Last edited:

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Originally Posted by rickyd
"...Just feel lucky you weren't riding back when neon colors were in"

You mean I just wasted $9 on that cool Thor "Nuclear " Jersey from MXSouth? Unfortunately, not kidding. I guess that means my taste is right up there with Ivan's photogenics. LOL

I like this thread- it all somehow seems so strangely familiar...

Worst wheelie award. I LIKE IT! Now that REALLY brings back memories. Like the first time I stepped off my 77 DT100 (yes I am old) and tried (operative word "tried") to ride my friend's RM 80. Light switch city. Instant loopout. :)

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
MEW, If you want to head out to Mountaineer Raceway in Inwood WVa on Sunday.....I'd be more than happy to poke ya with a stick after you crash

Last edited:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Did anybody tell mad about the secret DRN team that shows up at a guys first ride with a satelite upload dish and a webcam so we all can watch his first ride? If you are getting the eebie jeebies that you are being watched.....you probably are....mwaaaaaahahahahahaha

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
truespode said:
Don't worry... I doubt you'll look as bad as I did when I first got started going again.

No need to bribe us. Everyone here lived through my neuroce <sp?> so you'll fit in fine.

They got me on tape...

http://tntmotorsportsinc.com/images/truespode.jpg
Nice endo! Very fine form all ten finger straight up I give you a 9.75 :laugh:
fender92883 said:
You'll do fine. Crashing happens to everybody. Show me a guy who's never crashed a bike and I'll show you a guy who's never sat on a vehicle with less than 3 wheels.
I take that as a insult! I've crashed my brain out on three wheels!
But come to think of it, I've crashed almost every thing I've rode one time or anther :aj:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
70 marlin said:
I take that as a insult!
Oh, come on! You know what I meant! Besides, from what I hear it was MUCH harder NOT to crash those 3-wheelers than it is on bikes! Those with 4 wheels are not much different :p

Pat-You remember at Rights of Spring last year when I crashed into the tree? You know just as well as I do that I crash just as much as the next guy...unless he doesn't have any legs and he's riding a bike...then I've probably got a slight edge since I can at least put a foot down...in some instances...being short sucks...sometimes...at least I don't have to duck all the time...and I DID make it to be taller than both of my parents...ah, I guess it's not all that bad after all...I'm rambling on and on now, somebody shut this thing off! :moon:

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Yea I remember you sticking it in that corner. Very spectacular! You were hauling some major ass down that trail, pulling away fast from me.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
70 marlin said:
Yea I remember you sticking it in that corner. Very spectacular! You were hauling some major ass down that trail, pulling away fast from me.
:yeehaw: Can't wait to do that on my KDX! :thumb:

You shoulda' seen the diggers I took in the Pine Cone...ouch!

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
MEW, If you want to head out to Mountaineer Raceway in Inwood WVa on Sunday.....I'd be more than happy to poke ya with a stick after you crash

I wish I'd checked b4 I left Sparx, I ended up at Mountaineer on Sunday after Tomohawk was closed! You probably saw me, I was riding with the minibikes, when I wasn't sitting on the side of track trying to start my bike :ugg:

I was sooooooo slow, I think the track scared me or something; I did much better at The Landing on Saturday even though I crashed like 4 times.

I will put a full ride report up later today but it's official I'm hooked! :laugh:

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
For those of ya that care, my first ride report is posted. My editor went home at 5 so please forgive grammatical and spelling errors.

Cheers!

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Chill...!!!

Dude I've ben out of the sport for 24 years!! Got me a 1991 CR250 two months ago and went out for my first REAL ride a few weeks ago. I used to be an okay rider as a teen but never one of those nerves-of-steel riders that some of my boyz were. Anyhoo... after a couple of weekends in a row I am now one of the faster riders because I find myself more patient and aware then my younger years (not to mention most of my riding buddies are on quads and they just need more room and can't accelerate like my CR)

If you slow down your thinking and just learn to be instinctive you will be fine! I am the only guy in my group that is fully protected (don't have the neck brace yet but might get one) but I've crashed enough times in these two weekends to wonder why every one else isn't wearing what I am wearing... you'll be seen as the smart one in a short time!

You'll be fine and like all of these guys have said... dirt riders are the nicest bunch you'll ever meet... no one is putting on any aires in the dirt!

:moon:

Top Bottom