BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I wouldn't ask $1300 for a $300 bike.

I've never lived in Texas. I heard that the great state had already reached maximum a$$hole capacity, so I'm staying here.

Yeah, they topped out when I arrived :p

Low Ballers give me heartburn, when I was out of a job, I had to sell Jonathans 01 JR80. This guys comes to the house, I was asking $1350 (less than it was really worth!), the amount to cover my mortgage. The guy checks the bike, gives his kid a spin, and the hauls out $1200 - what could I do - mo-fo's :(

:)

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
My favorite is when they call and say "what"s your bottom dollar" before they even look at it. I say I think it's sold and they have to ask how much so I tell em full price.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Man, if all we are talking about is $200...that is not a grotesque low-ball. Geez, if he had offered $1K under your price, that is a BS offer worthy of flame. After having to liquidate a bunch of bikes and stuff, not only from myself, but my kids gear and bikes too...well $200 seems petty (sorry man). The Katoom was new (03 525) w/ close to $1700 worth of goodies, plus the boys bikes were both less than 1 year old each. Hell , most recently I lost $300 on the WR pig (450) after owning it for 2 f-ing weeks. I probably would've paid twice that to remove that warthog of a bike from my garage. Oh yeah I bought it for $4200...seems nobody wanted to take on the risky proposition that is the 03 WR. After $300 shipping, 4500 gross. I sold it for $4400 two weeks later (right after DW).

What's the lesson boys and girls, if the bike is one you like and don't need to sell it...don't sell it, then you won't have to worry about not getting what you think it is worth. If it is a matter of urgency or desperation, sell it for anything w/in 10-15% of your asking price and be glad somebody bailed you out.

Lastly, regardless of what the sellers thinks its worth, the buyers will always ultimately set the worth overall.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
My personal favorite way of selling a bike is using that e-auction site, whatever it's called.. Start at $1 with no reserve, 10 days. You know somebody will buy the bike in ten days and you'll probably get more for it than the guys that set reserve prices or start at their rock-bottom price. You get to walk away knowing that you sold it for what it was really worth, and somebody gets a good deal in their mind as well (if not, they shouldn't have bid).

I had my KX250 for sale locally forever.. The deal on my new bike was pending the sale of the old one so it was a great way to flip it fast and get a decent dollar for it.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I started at $4500, and dropped my price twice. $600 is a bigger hit than I'm willing to take. It's not about the money. It's the principle.

I'm going to advertise the bike locally. I'm 90% sure that I can get $4500 for it. I'm 100% sure that I can get $4300 for it. I'm not desperate. I haven't allowed myself to be in a position to let someone screw me. I know what my bike is worth to me, and that's what I'll get for it.

In the immortal words of Holden McGroin (world-famous used car salesman and raconteur) :

"There's an ass for every seat."

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
It's amazing - there are several '03 KTM 450's in Dallas for $4 -$4.5, two of the bikes were almost new! It's tough right now in this area. :debil:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, prices are low these days. I figured I would get no play on this bike, but I'm happy with the response so far. I'm getting a lot of inquiries from people all over the country at $4300, but nobody wants to pay shipping.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Shipping is only about $200 + crate. I shipped a bike(small) from Michigan for $150.
That's not bad, people will always sqauble though!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I only have one question....
Did you write down his phone number?

(shakin' head)

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'll bite, Jay. Why the head shake?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Tree jumper
LOL, i'll give you a buck a CC on your fiddy! :laugh:

:scream: Dang, that's a pretty low ball price for JP's fiddy. :confused: I'll go as high as $1.50 a CC. JP, is that a 50CC fiddy or a 88CC fiddy? If it's an 88CC, I may have to get a loan. :laugh:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
It's an 82cc. I can finance with $500 down. Payments will be $27 per month for 144 months.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
LOL - good one pred!

Damn JP... flamin over $200... thats like a nice seafood dinner. Or a used pair of Tech 8's. Or 2 hours with a cheap callgirl. :silly:

It's an 82cc. I can finance with $500 down. Payments will be $27 per month for 144 months.

Hmmm... $4,388...

Ya know what I hate.... highballers! :uh:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
$200... thats like a nice seafood dinner. Or a used pair of Tech 8's. Or 2 hours with a cheap callgirl. :silly:
That's my point. I'm not going to give my bike away and be denied a couple hours with a cheap hooker.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Man... and remind me not to make an offer on any of your stuff....

In September '98, I remember offering a guy $2,900 for a '98 RM 125. The bike was $5,300 new and easily had $1,000 of toys (exhaust, suspension, motor mods, bars, adjustable clutch, aluminum throttle tube, frame guards, new tires, new chain/sprockets, gripper seat, etc.) and he said YES! Thats a $3,400 loss he took for a bike not even a year old! Must have been my smile :moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

YIKES! :scream: It's a good thing it's not a 4fiddy. I would have to sell my house. :eek:

I'm starting to see a pattern here. :laugh: :laugh:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, that was it. :confused:

Some people are born to lose money. Other people are born to lose LOTS of money. I prefer to keep as much of mine as possible. There aren't as many bikes in this part of the world as there are in the Midwest, so they tend to keep their value for a year or so. If my bike was 6 months older, I'd take $3900 for it. It's an '03, and it's still 2003. I looked for a new one locally, and the best price I found was $5600 otd. There is a 2002 YZ250F in todays news for $4200. He'll get close to that just because of the local market. There is also an '03 YZ450F in the same paper for $4900.

You have to take into account the fact that local dealers bend everyone over. I know I can get what I want for my WR, and I'm not going to take less just because someone thinks I'm desperate.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
JP lowballed some guy on a case of little blue pills, so there is nothing stopping him from going 2 full hours. :)

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
If the best offer you have gotten is $3,900, how is that a lowball when you are only asking $4,100?

I only pay $200 for the whole night around where I live and that includes cleaning my bike and doing my dishes.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by Erick82
I only pay $200 for the whole night around where I live and that includes cleaning my bike and doing my dishes.

Your wife doesnt count. :p

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by Erick82
If the best offer you have gotten is $3,900, how is that a lowball when you are only asking $4,100?

Read the other posts before you start asking questions. :silly: I started at $4500, and I already dropped the price twice. I've had lots of interest at $4300, but nobody wants to pay shipping.

Again, it's not about the price. It's the way the guy approached me. He called, told me he would pay $3900, then told me to call him when I changed my mind. That's just rude. If he had said that his kids were starving and he could only afford $3900, maybe I would have caved. If he had offered me drinks and dinner, maybe I would have caved. The guy didn't even offer me a reach-around.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Why would anyone want to pay so much for his used fiddy? Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it been in a fire??? :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom