More California Politics Denied Registration

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
We should just give that whole stinken state back to Mexico, they get the state, the debt and that dip sh!t of a governor. The state governament is trying to get illigals legal and so on and so forth, fine we will make you all mexicans, also you can keep the hollywackos. That whole state is F'ed that is what happens when liberals run the show. If I lived there I would be selling my house while the prices are high and heading to Nevada or Arizona.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Erick82
We should just give that whole stinken state back to Mexico, they get the state, the debt and that dip sh!t of a governor. The state governament is trying to get illigals legal and so on and so forth, fine we will make you all mexicans, also you can keep the hollywackos. That whole state is F'ed that is what happens when liberals run the show. If I lived there I would be selling my house while the prices are high and heading to Nevada or Arizona.

If it were truly as bad as you seem to think it is then why on earth do so many darn people move here from the mid-west? Yes, we have are problems but I don't think it's really all that much worse than any other SIMILARLY sized (land, population, economy) state.

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Elk,
Are you saying that you can't title/register a '03-newer 2st or 4st off-road bike in CA if it doesn't meet CARB emission standards? There's only a handful of '03s 4sts that are green-sticker legal as far as I know. And CARB is trying to push the equivalent of a 5yr/50K emissions equiptment warranty on OHVs?

Brian

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
If it does not meet the emission stds it will a red sticker as long as it is US certified and is classified as a closed course bike by the manufactures

It really isn't any different than before ( prior to 4/15 ) 3 or C is red , all others are green.

what they are doing is weeding out the non US cert bikes

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's all about the certification Brian. And it really only weeds out the non-US bikes. They tried to get in as many riders that they could with the grandfather thing from 02 and older. They needed a starting piont and 03 is it I guess. If you have a California bike bought here, it will be as JPIVEY said, 3 or C gets a Red sticker and all others are Green. They are cracking down on the Canadian models though. Check out the CARB website Brian, that might help explain some things. I know it's confusing and trust me, I don't get it all either but I'm trying. They want to keep closed course race bikes to just that, or at least limit their use on public lands during the year. That's what the 3 and C means.

Erick, I ain't giving anything back to Mexico slick, I live here and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up on the best riding area in the US.;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by a454elk

Erick, I ain't giving anything back to Mexico slick, I live here and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up on the best riding area in the US.;)

I 2nd the motion :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
They want to keep closed course race bikes to just that, or at least limit their use on public lands during the year. That's what the 3 and C means.

I don't have a problem with green vs red but I fail to see a real difference between a Canadian (or any other country) OHV and a US Federal OHV. As far as I know there are no differences in the emissions equipment between a US YZ450 vs Canadian YZ450 or US CR250 vs Canadian CR250 - I may be wrong. It sure seems like bureaucrats making laws that don't have any basis in reality.

I'll third that!

Brian

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Erick, I ain't giving anything back to Mexico slick, I live here and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up on the best riding area in the US.;) [/B]

I'll fourth that! :thumb:

Elk hit the nail on the head about the Dealers.

It's all about money. Due to the money exchange rate, it takes less Ameircan dollars to buy a new bike in Canada, Austrailia or New Zealand.

For aprox. $5,000 to $5,500 Ameircan dollars you can buy the same bike in Canada that would cost you aprox. $7,000 at your local Dealer. This has the American Dealers screaming like wounded banshees. They have lost a lot of sales to these other countrys.

According to a Canadian broker that I talked to, Honda has a subsidy program where they subsidize the extra costs on a new bike to these Countrys inorder to make the bikes affordable. The new bike buyers in the United States are taking advantage of this program to save a couple thou on their new bike purchases. Naturally, the Dealers in the U.S. don't like this.

California Dealers have gone to CARB to complain. CARB is one of those agencys that make up the rules as they go along. They go with whoever is screaming the loudest. Right now, that's the Dealers. As a result of this, all new bikes from Canada, Austrailia or New Zealand are now outlawed in California. They cannot be registered at all. Red or green. According to DMV, they can only be used on private property.

:(

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by Erick82:
"We should just give that whole stinken state back to Mexico, they get the state, the debt and that dip sh!t of a governor."

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :scream: :scream: :scream:
Oh jeez! I though you said NEWMexico.........(whew)....... :confused:

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by treefinder
I assume you're running the Hare Scramble series, and only point this out because mentioning "closed course" to a DMV person is likely to elicit some glazed eyes.
No, I run Enduros. I just figured a marked course sanctioned by AMA is considered closed.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by D36-108A
NVRFNSH, it appears he may have purchased a non-USA model, e.g., from Canada. I have heard of those having problems getting registered in the U.S., specifically Caliban DMV.

Yep thats me...
Either that or somebody at the DMV is clueless and doesn't understand red stickers exist for non-(green)-compliant bikes.
No, The VIN# set the flag off and they will not do a red sticker because CARB tells them not to issue it.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by JPIVEY

Talked with the ARB a couple weeks ago and this is their #1 target, people trying to register non-certified bikes in Ca. trying to beat the green sticker program; they will be issued nither red nor green and are for private property use only.

I wasn't trying to "beat" any sticker program, heck I want to support the sticker fund- they won't take my money. I bought the Canadian bike cuz it was good deal and came with all the proper customs paperwork.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Sounds like a Canadian model because out of state bikes that are designed for the US are usually certified. It's all about the crackdown on bringing Canadian models into the state.

True...thats me. But I have also been informed by DMV that you can no longer buy an out of state 03 dirt bike and register it here. Reason is that it must be "certified for sale" in the state of CA.
The only way this can get resolved is to bring a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers to make them certify all bikes.
CARB told me that if I had an 02 and a letter certifying it for sale in CA from the manufacture then I could get red. But ALL 03's are a no-go period.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I think that's about it Dude, they really are craking down on this stuff because it was abused before. That's what usually happens, it's too bad and unfortunate. Hope it all works out for you,
Elk

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Hope it all works out for you,
Elk
Yep, been working on it since January and did not give up. This State is so screwed up it is unbelievable. I won't say how I did it cuz people and procedures must be protected.
The end result is I get to ride the bike I bought and feel warm and fuzzy that I am supporting an OHV fund out there.
I win, District 36 is satisfied and CA looses.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
YA! That's right! Cali is F'd up man! Screw that place, it like toootally sucks! Now if everyone would just get the hell out, I could afford to move back :confused:

smithers

May 9, 2003
Let me give a little more info on this. Sorry to those I offended. I used to live in So Cal and ride D-37 desert races. It was awesome...payed my dues, joined up with the Phantom Duck, the whole shot. Slowly but surely my riding areas were taken away, then taxes started going up, it cost me 400 dollars just to register the same truck that costs 40 bucks in New Mexico to register. Where was the money going? The same barrel size holes in the highways were still there. There were more kids that didnt speek english in school then those who did. Cant camp anywhere cause its crowded, cant hunt anywhere cause theres no animals, couldnt ride anywhere cause the posie freaks managed to get the places shut down. Then they outlawed big bore two strokes, now I hear you have to have the noise levals down to whats acceptable by your grandma next door and a spark arrester for Desert riding? WTF is up with that? I moved to NV, same great desert without the hassle...Dont get me wrong..I love CA...but man the BS is sure a whole lot less just up the road.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Sorry to those I offended.
Didn't offend me, I know about the only thing going in this State is the climate!
Slowly but surely my riding areas were taken away, I moved to NV, same great desert without the hassle...
Yes but lets not forget the Carson Valley Qualifier in Minden NV. and the Barstow to Vegas events that have been nixed by the desert huggers!

smithers

May 9, 2003
Yeah I still wonder about the B to V thing...Ive riden it..Theres nothing out there but tanks and sand...and we were messin up the desert...interesting.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
smithers.

Funny you should mention the tanks.

I've ridden B to V several times myself and I can remember pulling into the starting area and seeing all of the tanks sitting on railroad cars as you pull in.

We got a lot of flack from 20/20 and other news agencies for all of the damage our dirt bikes do to the desert. But guess what? A week after the race the US Army uses the same area for tank manuvers. :scream:

How come we didn't see that on tv? Go figure. :ugg:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by smithers
Slowly but surely my riding areas were taken away, then taxes started going up, it cost me 400 dollars just to register the same truck that costs 40 bucks in New Mexico to register.

Registration is only $30 in CA. It's the VLF (personal property tax) and weight fee (on P/Us, El Camino, Ranchero, Brat, etc) that pushes it to $400.

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
While the state does nickel and dime like crazy with fees and taxes, California's 'car tax' was reduced dramtically for a year or two. But the old high rates are reportedly being reinstated due to our current budget crisis.

BTW, the state legislature has reportedly authorized green sticker funds to create a new vehicle recreation area in Kern County. Additional money will be spent to acquire private property in the Dove Springs/Jawbone area.

Hard to defend our politicians, but sometimes they do something right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

smithers

May 9, 2003
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Additional money will be spent to acquire private property in the Dove Springs/Jawbone area.

Really, thats right down the road from where I used to live...didnt even know there was private land out there...thought it all belonged to the gov. cool.

Top Bottom