Nor.Cal Elkins Flat Ride 20-21 Oct

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I'm taking my mountain bike up with me. Just in case anyone else is interested in exploring the area using leg / lung power.:scream:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Jonala,
Are you one of those ripped & burly mountian biker types?
If not, I might bring my 15 year old hoopdy mtb as well.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Farmer John

Are you one of those ripped & burly mountian biker types?
If not, I might bring my 15 year old hoopdy mtb as well.

"ripped" I wish,
"burly" no. I'm a recreational mountain bike rider;) . I do ride my mtb longer than I ride my dirt bike. 2-3 hrs on the mtb, 1 hr on the dirt bike and I'm shot:o

Bring your bike up. I'm just planning on exploring, not to do a "training" ride.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Strick,

Glad to hear your going to come over to our side of the mountain for some fun.

Would it be shorter for you to take SR89 from Lake Tahoe and then jump on SR88?? Or would it be shorter for you to take 395 to SR88?? LawManNV make the trek last year, and he went WAY out of his way to get to Elkins Flat. Anyway, once you get on SR88 you will want to head WEST You will drive past Hams Station, then Cooks Station. Once you reach Cooks station ( A little market and gas station) you will take the FIRST ROAD TO THE RIGHT That will be OMO RANCH ROAD. From Cooks station to OMO Ranch road it is about 1 mile. Make a right on OMO Ranch Road. Follow OMO Ranch Road to the North / South Road. Follow the signs to Pipi Campground. You will be on a paved road for several miles. You will cross a bridge, once you cross the bridge, follow the road to the right. You will then go past the entrance to the Pipi Campground, stay on the North / South Road. You will then go about about 3 miles and then cross a cattle guard, keep going. Look for the ELKINS FLAT staging area. Make a left into the staging area dirt road. Then keep your eyes out for the big DRN Banner. Myself, Dirty Dave, NVRFNSH will have our RV's parked in there some place. Also, look for pie plates posted on the trees as you leave OMO Ranch Road.

I'm not sure how long it will take you from Reno to Elkins Flat. But I"d say the you should be in the staging are by 0730 or 0800, that way you can get a good full day worth of riding in.

If you need more info let me know. I'll be heading up there Friday morning sometime.

Rick

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Strick et al,
I drive a white/grey Dodge 2500 4wd & will be towing a 36ft Patio Hauler 5th wheel trailer - BOTH have Washington plates. I'll probably be the easiet to spot.

Rick - I'm guessing we'll have the trailers out on the 'road' where the big Weekend Warrior 5th wheel was last time we were there? I know I can't get my trailer into the area we were parked at:( Might have to have you give me some trailer manuevering lessons.

Brian

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by MR.WR
Here are directions to Elkins Flat staging area.
From the San Francisco Bay Area, take 580 East to 205, and then follow 205 until it turns into I-5 North.
Stay in the right lane on I-5 and exit on 120 East.
Exit Highway 120 and go north at Highway 99.
Exit Highway 99 and go east at Highway 88.
Follow Highway 88 to and through the town of Jackson.
Go left at Omo Ranch Road.
Take the very next right on PIPI road.
Follow PIPI road to and past PIPI Valley campground.
The next camping area past PIPI Valley campground is Elkins Flat.

So Rick/anyone, how much of those directions are valid for someone coming up from the south? Haven't had a chance to look at a road map yet. :confused:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you are coming north up I-5, exit at Hwy 120 east and cross over to 99, or you could just come all the way up 99 depending on where you are coming from.

A few little notes: In Jackson, Hwy 49 and 88 share the same path and then seperate. You make a left turn at a stop sign to stay on 88. Follow the signs.

Omo Ranch Road is just past the 5,000' elevation sign - then you drop down about 1000' to the staging area.

The road decsribed in the last quote as PiPi Road is actually called the North South Road. See Rick's directions to Strick above - when you turn off 88 it is the same from there.

BTW, I think the Elkins Flat staging area is less than 3 miles past PiPi Campground - more like 2.25 miles.

The staging area itself is concealed from the North South Road by a stand of trees. There is a small sign - you need to turn left off of North South Road onto a dirt access road which is just before the Elkins Flat sign - then look for a turn off the dirt access road to your right - looping you back toward North South Road.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thanks Dave

I put together another list of those attending that should be more complete.
Looks like a good turn out. That's a lotta TTR riders! :confused:

MR. WR (99 GasGas EC200)
MR.WR’s wife (92 xr250)
Jonala (XR250R)
Fremontguy (95 KTM300exc)
NVR FNSH (99 WR400)
NVR FNSH’s wife (Anja?) (92 R250)
Angry jim (KTM 200exc)
Dirt bike dave (99 CRE250
Simimi (YZ400)
Simimi’s Wife (TTR125L)
Simimi’s Son (kx60)
Dirty Dave (00 Husky 610TE)
Dirty Dave’s wife (86 Honda ‘Fat Cat’)
3-4 OFO Racing Clan
LawManNv (01 WR250F)
LawManNv’s gf (TTR125L)
Karna (KDX200)
Justin (KTM250EXC)
Gospeedracer (00 KTM200mxc)
TTRGuy (00 TTR250)
Motodude (01 400EXC)
Motodude’s wife (01 TTR125L)
Motodude’s kids (02 TTR90)
Mntracer
Strick (02 KTM400SX)
Bobby (YZ250)
PWDAD
OLD STROKER
Bigbird
Bigbird’s wife
Kali (TTR125L/YZ150F)
Kevin (Husaberg 470)
RetSenior (01 KTM520exc)
Unkle Moose (WR426)
TobyS (XR250r & KDX200)
TobyS’s wife (XR200)
TobyS’s son (XR50)
Bulldog? (TTR125L)
Austen?

Last edited:

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
I will be there after the Ski Run Scrambles Saturday night with my (01 KTM 520 EXC).

Unkle Moose can't make it Sunday. He said he has to work in the back yard Sunday or he won't be able to sleep in his bed.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
some fun stats from the info I have.... (if everyone one the list shows up)

12 KTM riders :)
7 TTR riders
7 XR riders

and I think 14 female riders! :)

Last edited:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Awesome! I thought Angry Jim rode a KTM but I couldn't remember.

I hope I'll be able to get some pics with everyone in them. I would like a pic of all the KTM riders, female riders and the TTR riders (I think Kali might like that for her website) :) This is an advance warning to cooperate with the photographer or else I will send big, buster, billywho over to your house to break something. ;)

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
NVR FNSH,

If Phatty 520 can get his motorhome in the staging area, then we can get your trailer in there! No Problem. I will be up there in the A.M on Friday. I am going to find a few spots for the larger RV's Bigbird and Dirty Dave.

SFO is out...No problem, thanks for the reply...

Rick

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Ret Senior. Do we know eachother? I do a lot of the d-36 races too. I think I might blow off the Donner race in favor of this. Cow Mountain race was very regretable. I'm still coughing up dust!

I've never ridden at this place, but I just realized that I did some trout fishing in the area about 10 years ago.

Should be really fun even if it's dusty. I'm off to get another bedroll for the tent. Not sure yet when I'll be there, but looking forward to seeing you all there. Oh, KTM200exc to be exact. 210 lbs of fun. The bike that is...

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
50-50 on the bike guess Gospeed, bringing Halloween orange 300EXC for the occation. Be there tomorow morning, I'll put up a plate sign.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
This just posted on the District 36 site:

The Ski Run Scrambles, which had been scheduled to run this Saturday, October 20th, has been postponed due to extreme dust. The High Sierra MC will seek an alternative date at tonights D36 meeting and will post the new date on the D36 webpage Thursday. Please spread the word that the event will be rescheduled.

Looks like a lot of us will be there for the Saturday ride now!!!

motodude

Oct 3, 2000
AngryJim- come over to my house before Friday noon for the skinny on driving directions, and start dancin' dammit!
MR.WR.- Phatty520 was going, but he got the dates mixed and can't make it this weekend. Mtnracer will be coming up Sat. night, says he wants to sell his enduro computer to you. I'll be bringing my neighbors with their KTM's, a 97 250SX (his) and 99 125 EXC. (hers)
How many bikes with lights for a night ride?

Lee

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
angry jim,

Nope we don't know each other yet. I just started racing the D36 CC races in Jan. I have rode with NVR FNSH & wife. Did Dave Wood class with Bigbird. Know OLD STROKER from the Dirt Factory days in the 70's. Rode with some ThumperTalk guys but this will be my first time with DRNers.

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hey guys since RetSenior and I won't be doing SKI RUN SCRAMBLES I will make up for saturdays ride :) Brining along the WR426 and no my thumb never gets sore, but why is my right leg always tired:scream:
Hey RetSenior if won't crash in front of me;) I won't rip open my arm on the manzanitas:scream:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by MR.WR
I have a headlight...A night ride might be fun:eek:

For the guy in front... Let's see - trees, dust & headlight beam bouncing around. What a wonderful combination:eek: I can't wait to get there.

Brian

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Elkins Flat ride

Well, with the postponement of the Donner Ski Run HS, our logistics have simplified. We are heading up Friday night. Mr. WR, we are pulling a fifth wheel trailer, so find a good spot for we who overkill on the camping support vehicles.

I will also be bringing my '97 Husaberg 400 FE for a backup bike if needed, and my wife will be bringing her quad if there are any quad riders out there.

VetSenior, glad to see you and UnkleMoose are going to make it. Too bad about the Donner HS, but probably for the best as the Outlaw was too dusty for my tastes.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
BigBird,
Got an email from Kali & Kevin asking if Kevin could have dibs on riding your 'berg since his is still in the shop.

Shoot her an email or post here if that's okay.

Brian

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom