150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Aryain said:
:|

He was in no way insulting DB_F at all....
Yeah, he kinda was. He's sayin JKR isn't a good writer, right after DB_F said he tried to immitate her dialogue and writing. Meaning since this story is based off HP style writing, he's not a good writer.
I hope that made sence.

May 10, 2007
i wasnt insulting him i was insulting the harrypotter books.

her writing style is terrible. try reading something like robert jordan for fantasy(that is if you can make it through the books they are kinda long but there are lots of subplots)

if you dont like fantasy try tom clancy. clive cussler books are good but if you read a whole bunch of em at one point the plots kinda get repetitive. so you gotta read em spaced out.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ha ha easy there killers lets keep this thread to the story. which by the way when is the next chapter? ha ha j/m i can wait now that im in school i have less time to think about the story and i almost forgot about it for a while :yikes:

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
I just found this thread yesterday because I'm new to this forum, and I'm glad I found it.

That is one really good story. Plot and characters and everything is great, story is awsome.

but if I can make one suggestion - Some of your wording is less then professional. If you got your english teacher to read through it and give you some tips or something, then I seriously think this thing could be published. For example, you used "... and stuff." a couple of places. I don't think you would ever see J.K. Rowling using that. haha

But who am I? your the one writing the story. Take it or leave it.

but otherwise, dang thats some good stuff.

So I have one more question.. When is the next chapter coming out? lol.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
That's a great suggestion Cabot!!!

I'm glad you made the recommendation.

If DB_F decides he wants to do this as more than just a "timefiller", a rewrite would be warranted. But this is just a little old friendly forum/"did it because I was bored"/everyone got hooked and now he can't stop til the story is done/ deal. I personally think some of the word choice of a teen writing about a teen lends authenticity. Having a grown up give a story a "polished and professional" feel, would IMO, make it too much of a grown up's story. Part of the fan base is the story, part of it is the authenticity of words like "and stuff".

DB_F has enormous potential. A publisher and or English teacher would insist on a rewrite, to be sure. Maybe two or three. Writing is enormous work. But to have good ideas! Not all of us have those, let alone can execute them over many many many months and many distractions.

I continue to be awed by the hard work involved, and the ingenuity in telling a tale. :worship:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
J-man said:
did he post it because it says chapter 20 is up but i cant find it.
On Friday, he said he was working on Chapter 20, you may have misread it

I never did get the opportunity of a sneak peak by proof reading a chapter, but thats ok, olderndirtmom is doing a great job with the proofing.
I also agree that the way db_freak words the story adds to it. A friend of mine has been writing a story about teens, and he has been trying to write it as if it were written by a teen. Not as easy for someone in his 40s, but of course comes natural in this story.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Hey Scooter, where ya been? I guess I did cut you back out of the "sneak peek". That wasn't really fair. I think you have greater attention to detail...(and pretty much anyone knows more about riding/racing than I do.) Maybe db_f could be persuaded to let you have a go??

I've been reading a teen series that is very popular. Very well written. Great story line and interesting relationships. But it smacks of "grown up" through and through. Interesting to hear of your friend trying to write from a teen voice. Even with teenagers in the house I can't imagine capturing the nuance of how they talk and most of all think. Something about the endless blank stares you get when trying to communicate --I'm not sure how great a story I could make out of THAT! lol.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
scooter1130 said:
I never did get the opportunity of a sneak peak by proof reading a chapter, but thats ok, olderndirtmom is doing a great job with the proofing.

To be honest, I'm not sure I did much at all in the way of proofing the last two or three chapters. As I said before db_f jumped a level as these chapters went-not just in content and storylines- but in grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's very cool. :cool:

Despite not really being needed, I've really enjoyed getting a chance to read them ahead of the pack. Maybe too much, because sometimes I forget I'm supposed to be looking at punctuation and spelling, because I'm too caught up in the story. :)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
You are correct. It does say 20 is posted. But I've not gotten anything on my end.
Must have just been optimism, and there was an interruption. Maybe today?

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
olderndirtmom said:
Despite not really being needed, I've really enjoyed getting a chance to read them ahead of the pack. Maybe too much, because sometimes I forget I'm supposed to be looking at punctuation and spelling, because I'm too caught up in the story. :)
Don't worry, we will let you know if you miss something :nener:

Dec 10, 2006
Hey guys- I know everyone will be happy to hear this- I haven't gotten it done yet. I've been gone all weekend, and haven't finished the whole thing. My english teacher would never have enough time to read this, and if she did I wouldn't want her putting it on the over-head and have all the ther kids reading it.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
This is how this story got started.
1- Boy gets bored and types a chapter of a story he made up
2- Boy posts it on the web
3-everyone goes crazy over it
4- Boy writes 19 more chapters
5- If boy decides to quit writing, there will be over 100 people from this thread showing up at his house to kill him.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
That would be cool if they made a movie out of this.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom