N

NdKxRacer

I like a lot of the ideas, but we would need to go with what gives us the most bang for our bucks. Racer X does this I think. My idea is a " hard luck award" for any rider whether it be privateer or factory ride. That way we always get big exposure each week.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Originally the Racer X gas card was to go to the highest placing privateer, but that idea was changed to there current system of giving it to the third place LCQ rider when they had trouble defining who was and wasn't a privateer. I think we should give it to someone who is not factory or factory support(Pro Circuit, YoT, or Factory Connection). That still leaves us teams like Plano honda and Planet Honda for example to draw a rider from. I think we should find someone for this years nationals to support and then make a more serious run next year with a full season ahead. How about a rider who just turned pro within the last couple years and is showing promise to be a top tenner? I think the absolute best canidate is Heath Voss, but he may be hard to get.

TWright43

Apr 21, 2000
im in.
why not go for an older guy towards the end of his career, someone like Kyle Lewis maybe.
My vote may be a ltittle partial towards him cosidering the fact that he has always been cool and knows my family on a first name basis.

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
I'm in

As far as which rider, I think Okie should make that decision.

As long as it is a rider with a good attitude and determination I'm all for it.

jroseberry

Sep 25, 2000
Count me in. I would like to see the help go to a kid that does not allready have a big backing. That way it would be more appreciated.
Plus The DRN money would make a bigger impact on there performance.
-Joe

Breeeez

Jun 16, 2000
Very Cool Idea

I'm one of those Freshdirt guys sponsoring Jimmy Wilson and Chip Munn racing team. It is the coolest thing in the world. They EXPECT you to drop by and hang with them in the pits. We have a special bank account set up and payment is by PAYPAL. We just drop a few bucks in monthly. Some of the other sponsors (I won't spam them here) are also giving us freebies if we become certain levels of sponsors..ie..premier..you get a case of coolant, etc. Administrative members hand them the check at the races (of course with many flash bulbs going off and with prominantly placed stickers in the camera view finder!!!!). It is tough to choose a rider, but, one with close ties to members here is always a good thing. Two or more is even better. "I gotta tell ya Davey" (sorry), these guys are SOOOOOO appreciative of this.
Another thing going on is the PHN, Privateer Housing Network. Let a privateer pull the trailor up into your yard for the night. Give him and his mechanic a warm, comfy place to throw their hats (helmets), share your shop and let them practice on a nearby track. This is also SOOOOOO welcome to the struggling privateers out on the road between Timbucktoo and Hicksville (near where I live). I will be more than honored to participate in the DRN sponsored riders program. This is what our sport and the good people who participate in it is all about. We CAN give something back. If you would like to know anymore about these programs, please email me at the addy on my profile.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I did read about the PHN in RacerX, that also factored into my thoughts on this. Didn't realize that other websites were already doing this. That's good to hear though. Glad you've got some corporate knowledge on how to make this work.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
sitting on the fence?

???? In all I would support helping new racers or scholarships to deserving riders! or maybe some type of voucher for fuel or parts at a partiparticpating venders.:D BUT, we'd have to figure out how to farly dole out the $$$$ , and do we only support MX racers? I think not. SX people, endro people? the administration. should be brode based, also could be a nightmare, and have tax liblies to the site owner? and do we only support DNR members in good standing ? or just pick buddies? or set up a governing board? or just pick the people threw opion polls like we have set up all ready? also I'd feel better if the money was doled out to multiple riders . I FEEL THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! just not sure in how to implement it, or how to govern it.:think

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I think we can make this real complicated or fairly simple. My vision, was to support a rider in the SX and maybe MX. The reason is that most of us will either attend or watch these races on TV. Like Breez mentions, it would be fun for all to be able to say, "I sponsor that guy." And as Breez also mentions, I'm sure we would get the benefit of being welcomed into their pits.

Although we want to be able to see the DRN stickers, and maybe hear DRN called out on TV a few times, I'm not sure that Okie really wants or needs the site to be inundated with hits. This, to me, is about helping a racer or racers, and not so much about advertising to increase brand awareness. Does that make sense?

In keeping with that, one rider would be my hope. Making it so a very deserving and able kid can realize his dream, and by extension our dreams of racing at the very top. Jeff Emig's team with Michael Byrne would've been a perfect recipient for the last few races after TheEdge.Com pulled out. This isn't about "getting a rider" that is going to win. More about helping a rider to make the main and be able to get to the next round.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
The cool thing about this is that DRN is a nearly non-profit organization, so there isn't really a lot to lose, and if we pick the right rider, we may gain a lot. With companies like service honda, (i don't know their relationship with the site) someone might be willing to make a personal contribution from their company. I for one, am totally for this program. There probably aren't a lot of people out there who know how good it feels to get those boxes of free product from your sponsors. It does two pretty distinct things, it makes you feel hope. and it makes you try harder. Has anyone out there heard of aaron dieter? He is a very hard working rider, and has minimal support. I think we might consider him.

XMikeX

May 5, 2001
This was stated earlier, but the idea is old. Freshdirt.Com members
have already done this with Munn Racing and Jimmy Wilson. I believe
there is a website. I have a feeling somebody already knew this, though.

Either way, it's a nice idea and hopefully it takes off.

XXX.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Well, I didn't know about Freshdirt.com, never heard of it until I started this thread. I read the article about Voss and read about what happened to Byrne and also read about the PHN effort. It was an original idea that I had without any idea that someone else had already implemented. I wasn't trying to steal anything, and if I had heard that this had already been done, my response would have been, let's do this also.

Like XMikeX and Breez mention, I just want to find a way to help people race!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bump

too good an idea to get buried, but also sounds like a lot of work.

Has anyone thought any more of this in the past few weeks?

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
too good an idea to get buried, but also sounds like a lot of work.

Yes it is. Here's a thought, and it wouldn't be too much work. Start simple. Have one of our DRN members who knows these privateers talk to them about it. I personally don't know any of these guys. A simple phone call to discuss the possibility of said rider flying the DRN fender stickers for next season for X amount of $ donated by the people here who want to. Count the posts that already volunteered money so it's not vague. If any rider is receptive to this idea - understanding that it is not a big bucks corporate sponsorship but a group of fans willing to help - then we can get down to growing a pool of money. Of course we'll need someone to act as treasurer, open a bank account and do the deposits and etc, but that's down the road... we need to speak to some riders first.

:cool:

Top Bottom