380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Congradulations on the new bike.... I was looking at one a couple days ago, and I have to say they are a very tough looking bike. Amazing how narrow they are. I have ridden a 01 400 SX quite a bit and I think you will be very happy with it.... They feel very very light, turn awsome and have a nice wide powerband with plenty of oompphh... You will absolutly fall in love with the 48's They are awsome as well.... im glad to hear you opted for the orange bike again... Nobody makes em like KTM Nobody..... It blows my mind the japs are not putting juice clutches on their bikes yet..... This is gonna be one hell of a year for KTM. ....

Now when you gonna give us a ride report.........

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by 380EXCman
Congradulations on the new bike....
Now when you gonna give us a ride report.........

Thanks V-

I am going to give 'er the 3 - hour break-in ride tomorrow with a friend and his son (so there is be no opportunity to really get into it). A full blown association ride will be Sunday. I will be reporting back.

p.s. I've owned the bike less than 18hours, and the Bridgestones are gone!!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Way to go Strick! Although I was hoping you would get the Honda, I would have had the same reservations as you so completely understand. And the waiting would have killed me too. I was suprised how easy the RFS kicked over so I doubt you'll notice the lack of button.

So, does this mean you'll be coming down to Jawbone at Thanksgiving with your crew?

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
We need a full right up on this thing Strick. I'm thinking the 400 SX may be my next bike as well, but maybe not for another year or so. That Honda is mighty nice looking, but I've got many of the same thoughts on bikes that it appears you do. Let us know how it goes.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Congratulations, Strick! Awesome purchase and now you've got the best of both worlds with the 300 and the thumper. Please give a write-up comparing the performance of the 400 to your 300. I, for one, am very curious about that, being a 300 MXC rider but forever partial to four-strokes.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Break in ride

Three hours of no more than 1/2 throttle and I was still impressed.

1st the bad things:
-Graphics are all ready peeling (I grip the tank really hard with my Knees, my '99 graphics are worn through too -it's because I'm scared!)
-Jetted rich for my altitude

Good things
-Forks
-Shock
-Suspension
-the best sprung bike I have ever ridden
-Gobs of grunt
-extremely quick revving
-Suspension
-great front brake
-ONE KICK STARTS
-Forks
-very thin (actually paper thin)
-platforms for footpegs (very nice)
-rear shock
-very light weight, and feels even lighter!
-turns much better than my 300
-Suspension

Can you tell I am REALLY impressed with the suspension? I had never imagined a bike can take rocks the way this bike can. So stable when jumping. Very predicatable out of corners. What whoops!. Have you ever noticed how true Grant langston is through the whoops. I know why - those 48mm WP forks - OMG!

I am going for a real ride, now that I have 'er broken in, on Sunday. I will post more info. after that ride.

I do also want to emphasize that this bike is as easy to start as my 300! Literally one kick starts all day long, and I am not used to kicking a 4-stroke! I did stall the bike in a corner when riding some pretty tight single track, the bike was pretty hot, and it took me 3 kicks that time. Oh well!

It is so easy to go fast on a bike with power this smooth, and a suspension this good.:D

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Re: Re: Way to go Strick.....

Originally posted by Strick

I've owned the bike less than 18hours, and the Bridgestones are gone!!!

Wow! those Bridgestones really are soft if they wear out sitting in the garage overnight! ;)

Did you trade them in, or do you still have them?

I'm orange with envy. Your bike sounds awesome.

Lets see now,....what have I got that I can sell..... :think

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
CC rider: Those stock Bridgestone are flat dangerous! I traded them at my local bike shop two for one, with free mounting. I'm not complaining - Give me my Michelin's!

Garyb: I can let you know tomorrow night the top speed. I am mounting my newly arrived Panoram Computer (from Trailtech.net) in just a few minutes. Now that the bike is broken in I feel comfortable letting it out now. I can tell you, my 300mxc dead stock was 72mph. It has since been modifed somewhat!

Did I mention anything about the suspension on the '02 SX?:confused:

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
Strick,

It sounds like the bike is realy easy to start.

This is intriguing as NOT all four strokes NEED electric starters. I have a VOR 503 and it too is a one kick affair. I sold my Husky 360 and I would love a 4-stroke trail bike. The KTM EXC would be perfect but it sounds like I don't need the e-start with that bike. I lifted both bikes in the showroom and the EXC was noticeably heavier. Maybe out riding I would not notice it, but if I think I am noticing it . . . Well you get the idea.

How would you rate the SX for trails? My specific concerns are: 1)Noise (I HATE those YZ/WR's that are on the trails); 2)Suspension too stiff for trails perhaps; 3)Fuel range, unless both bikes have the same size tank.

Thanks for any tips.

Greg M

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Greg:
-Noise is nothing compared to YZ's. Today at our association's FUN DAYS, two of my buddies on their Yam aha's were next to me. I could not even hear my bike! My bike is quiet (comparatively speaking).
-Suspension is awesome! Didn't I mention supension somewhere above? (I am not an MX guy, I race desert)
-I am still breaking the bike in (Kinda), and right now it seems to get around 30 mpg or so. The one drawback for you may be the two gallon tank.
-starting is no issue on this bike!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Gary

I was so rushed yesterday that I could only get my damper mounted and not the Panoram. I will be riding on Wednesday PM (73 degrees predicted -yes!), and I will let you know then.

At the event I was at today, we had to ride pavement about 1/4 mile to get to the hillclimb staging are. BLM was O.K. with it. I finally got to ride in 6th! I will say this bike has some serious top speed.;)

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Strick, congrats again on the new motorcycle. That's a very nice purchase. I'm very interested how it compares to the 300, in terms of power delivery and pull? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
400SX IN THE WOODS!

Garyb,
I have an '01 400sx and I don't know the top speed off hand but I can tell you that in 5th gear it easily pulls away from an '01 CR250 Honda (with stock gearing), and that is with a one tooth smaller front sprocket. I hadn't even shifted into 6th yet and the race was all over.

For eastern US trail riding the gearing is a bit tall. In the technical sections you will be much happier gearing it down. I've hear of extreme cases of people going down one in front an up 4 in back with good results. The suspension on the '01 was usable but could benefit from some revalving. My friend with an '02 250 sx is also raving about his new suspension, so I'm guessing the new stuff will be even better yet.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Thank Bud-man for answering the woods question - I overlooked it. I agree with your answer the bike would have to be geared down. 1st gear, especailly, is very tall!

The '02 suspension is NOTHING like the '01 SX's. The suspension is not too harsh for tight riding.

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
Hey Strick,

Congrats on your new bike. Sounds like your 300 is going to mighty lonesome in the garage. I thought I heard you say that you might like the 02' suspension. I can't find the specs of the 02' suspension anywhere, so I was wondering if you could help? I'm wanting to know what the spring rates are, front and back? Is the rear a PDS 3 or something similar?

Thanks

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
Way to go Strick,

I just bought myself a TE400 but only after chewing over a KTM400EXC for some weeks!
Are the 02 model the ones with the steel crank bearings? This is the only thing that stopped me from buying a KTM as l've heard and seen many KTM riders rave about the bike but the reliability was questionable esp the bearings which where made out of nylon.
Kick starting a thumper - lol, l've needed the help of a fellow 4stroke rider to start my left handed swedish/italian beauty.....must be an art to it!!!

Congrats on the new bike anyway!

J
WR360 now TE400 thumper.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Garyb - I hope you read this!

The speed issue. I mounted the sensor unit on the Panoram computer too close to the rotor, and have to remount. When the rotor got hot it freaked the computer out.

Here are some results: 5th gear - not quite tapped out = 72mph, with 6th gear to go. I also achieved 31mph in 1st. I am regearing soon!

I was riding with Yam aha guys. So on the way back to the trucks at dusk, we got on a rode to open them up. Results:

In 5th gear - the '00 WR400 (WFO) I could play with in 5th. Pull up, back off, pull him again, and still had 6th. When we stopped the first words out of his mouth was "that thing is fast".

Yes it is:cool:

Top Bottom