Where are you and what sort of riding do you do?

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
Hi all, I used to post on here a long time ago but got too caught up in riding and then moved to a new state. I now live in a very small town in Northern Arizona where single track abounds! I can ride right out of my diveway and be on dirt in less than a mile. It is a far cry from the crowds and traffic of San Diego. I don't miss city life one bit.

I am 29 and have been riding and wrenching my own bikes for 9 years. I am married to the greatest guy in the world, with no kids and lots of toys.

My rides vary from day to day but here is what I have: 89 KDX 200, far from stock. A 92 KDX 240 that rips. Both of my bikes have a hydraulic clutch (must have for tight trails), Scott Summers fork brace ( must have for conventional forks), and many other bolt ons. A 98 Montesa trials bike, just got it a year ago and placed 3rd in my class in my first series. If you have never tried trials, you must! Then the other 2 bikes are the ones that my hubby and I disagree on who's they really are because we both like them. They are both 94 ATK's, one is a 406 (very fun) and the other is a 250. His main ride is a 94 ATK 605 (thumping device) which I don't care for. I prefer 2 strokes.

I like to ride any type of terrain, but the nastier the better. All of our bikes are set up to take the abuse so bring it on! They all have WER steering dampners, computers, hand guards and the suspesion has been revealved for our weight and style of riding. Having a bike that is set up right and running properly is the most important factor for having the most amount of fun. That is just how I see things anyways!

If you are looking for a good trail bike that has a low seat height, but can also rip, may I suggest a 89-94 KDX.

That's it.

Brenda

------------------
89, 92 KDX 200, 240
98 Montesa
94 ATK 250, 406

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Hi, my name is Lisa, I'm 32 years old and have been riding for about eight years. I've been cruising this forum for about a month and decided to jump in and introduce myself.

I ride a KTM 200 in the dirt and really like it. I also own a 280 GasGas trials bike which I just bought last year in August. I sure enjoy reading the posts, and I'm beginning to feel guilty for not contributing.

My favorite type of riding is trails in the woods and jumping logs.

Lisa

YZ LOOPER

Mar 19, 2001
I sure enjoy this forum. I read through every single post (Where are you and what sort of riding do you do) last night. Now I will tell you about me. I live in Oregon and have all my life. I started riding after I married my husband in 1987. I ride a YZ125, this is a new bike for me and I have only ridden it once. We are planning on riding a lot this spring/summer. We ride MX because we can bring our kids along. They are just starting to ride but don't show much interest. Hopefully that will change this summer. I still enjoy riding trails. My favorite place is up in the mountains by Hodoo ski bowl. We ride the snowmobile trails during the summer, the ski slopes make great hill climbs,there are also huge lava dunes, gravel roads, and tight trails, a little bit of everything makes for a great day of riding.

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I trail ride a XR200R in So. Ca., mostly Rowher Flats. :D I have had 8 street bikes and 2 dirtbikes. I can do most (NOT ALL!) areas marked "most difficult". Not bad for a girl with one leg. :gdr(A car killed my lower left leg and my Ninja500) I ride often and would love to ride with other women at Rowher, Stoddard, Johnson, or El Mirage! So e-mail me? :innocent

------------------
It is allright to be afraid. Ya just can't let fear dictate your actions.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Welcome to all the new members :)

Rogue, do you still have your lower leg & have lost feeling or have you lost it? You are totally amazing, a real inspiration :)
Michelle

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I have a prothesis for the lower 1/2 of my left leg. (Not nealy as good as OEM) :D I had to change my shifter a little and can only shift sitting down. I get by. :) " A hero is a poor son of a ***** who was in the wrong place at the wrong time" : General Patton.

------------------
It is allright to be afraid. Ya just can't let fear dictate your actions.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I mostly ride in the local deserts.

------------------
'01 KTM M/XC400 (My bike)
'00 Yamaha TTR225 (My old lead sled, but new night rider/camp hopper & pit vehicle)
'00 Honda CR250 (Hubby's bike)
AMA D37

[This message has been edited by KTMster (edited 04-13-2001).]

albeefan

Mar 21, 2001
Hi :)
I am Sandie, I'm 34, I ride a '97 XR100, and live in Dallas, Georgia. I have ridden twice and I am still learning. Once I have figured out this rear brake and turning thing ;) I would like to try racing on natural terrain (i.e. vintage tracks). I would like to be able to fix our '74 Elsinore MT250 for the Memorial Day vintage race over in Alabama but the husband is concentrating on his '73 Elsinore CR250. Maybe mine will be ready for the Labor Day race. I will be selling the XR100 around Christmas to get a better bike once I have figured out what would be the best bike for me and once I have actually learned how to ride!! ;)

------------------
'97 Honda XR100 and working on a 1974 Elsinore MT250 - Albee was the Best!

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
the post that never dies.....

it's back! Ok, just kidding. This is still a really great thrread. I still enjoy re-reading the old post. Ok new members, here's your chance. Give us all the details!:confused:

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I started riding in 1995 met my husband and married in 1995 at a Laughlin, NV race (Best in the Desert). Earned my BikeDestroyer name because I DNF a Nat'l race at Lucerne Valley, CA (tore the radiator completely off my bike). My husband should get it back now because he tore his pipe completely off his bike last weekend.

I like to ride mostly single track. I race AMA Nat'l Hare & Hound, WORCS and some Enduro's with my husband. I live in Mesa, AZ.

I see a lot of people in the NW part of the state on this site. If you get a chance come and do the WORCS race Nov. 3 & 4 at Roseburg, OR at the Clarks Branch M/X facility. This is a really fun race series 1/2 Moto-X and 1/2 woods. We could use some more women at these races. If you want some more info or are looking for someone to ride with e-mail me @ BikeDestroyer@aol.com

Brenda

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
My name is Jenny. I will be 20 in October. I was first introduced to dirtbikes back in October of 2000 on a '84 XR 200. I was instantly addicted, and spent over 6 months working hard to get a bike of my own. In April of this year, 2001, I purchased a 2000 RM 125 previously owned by pro rider Charlie Bogard. I have ridden a few trails, but motocross is my main concern and desire. I love to race and got my first trophey (3rd) place at my first race on June 10th. I love to ride and my goal is to one day qualify for Loretta Lynns in the "125 C mod" class and the "womens 125cc and up" class. :p If your in the area and need a riding buddy. I'm there just email me at blackhawk468@hotmail.com

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Whoa! Things sure have changed since the time this thread was started! I think a lot of us are on different bikes now (who’s LoriKDX??? ;) ), have more experience under our belt and some of us even have new boyfriends in the barn. :p

I think I’ll update my info. While I’m still in Santa Barbara, I’m on a 00 KTM200 MXC now. I still have my 88 RM125 which I am in the process of restoring and will keep as a spare bike ready to encourage any woman I can to try riding.
Although I’ve been riding nearly 2 years now (got my RM in Nov. 99), my rides have been few and far between. I think I have made good progress in my riding ability.
I have ridden in the dunes, desert, the mountains and tried a MX track once. Up until recently I preferred the wide open riding in the desert but have discovered I love the woods.

Welcome to the new female riders, It’s always great so see our numbers grow.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
I intro'd myself in another thread, but just in case someone missed it:
I'm Holley, 38, and in Oregon.
I started riding in 99, promptly had a wreck and tore my right ACL in half, and had to have it replaced. :(
So I was out a year. So I've probably been riding about 1 year total.
I started on a 77 IT175, and hated it...I couldn't even pick it up! :o
So I got a KX100, and thought I might be ready for something bigger this spring...so we got me a 2000 YZ125.
I love Dunes riding best of all, with tracks in a close second. Woods are a real challenge, especially on the YZ.
We ride year around, we are about 30 minutes from the Tillamook Forest.
My b/f has been riding for about 4 years, and I usually ride with him. I'd love to have other females to ride with, anyone in Oregon that's fairly close, let me know, especially if you like to ride tracks :) (whoa, ignore the sentance structure!)
I'm seriously considering racing motocross, since one injury doesn't seem to be enough:silly:
or I'm a glutton for punishment!
I guess that's it for now

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Me too

I'll update too. I live in Seattle now, have a "new boyfriend in the barn" (LOL, GSR!) and a new bike too. I bought a KTM EXC 200 in April and let me tell you, after a year on the XR it's a big change. I feel like I'm getting better although my progress is frustratingly slow. I ride mostly woods and sometimes tracks too. That new boyfriend is an AA woods rider and he takes me on the most punishing trails he can find, and we have some pretty gnarly stuff here in the Pacific northwest. :eek: I'm trying the dunes for the first time soon (we'll figure out a date one of these days, Holley!) and I really enjoyed the desert in Reno last February, my first desert riding experience. I am also starting a new job soon--next week I leave my position as editor of our regional motorsports magazine www.motorsportsnews.com and begin to work for BBR Motorsports. (I promise I won't spam for them! ;) ) managing their shipping and updating their website as well as a little PR and, of course, freelance writing. I am really excited and look forward to the chance to work for some of the coolest guys I know.

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
:) Hi out there,
My name is Lisa, and I have visited this site a few times. I finally decided to join in! I live in Napa CA, and I have a 1999 XR400 and a 95 KDX 200. I have been riding off and on road for about 20yrs, in the last 2yrs my off road riding has greatly improved. I am currently getting divorced:( , so I am looking for new riding buddies. I love riding the woods, desert, hills, racing, I love it all! Send me an email if anyones in my area! klutchgirl@msn.com,
Ride safe and have fun!

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your troubles. We have a pretty strong group here, and several are from California. You shouldn't have a problem finding riding partners. Watch out for GoSpeedRacer--she likes to roost :p (I made the mistake of riding behind her at Reno!) Just kidding GSR, I'm sure it was unintentional. ;)

How do you like the XR400? I can't imagine being able to pick one up. Maybe once or twice but not as often as I would need to!

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Hi Fire cracker,
Thanks for the support! I love my XR400, yes it is HEAVY, but that makes you a better rider, cuz you dont want to fall, if you do,your gonna have to pick it up!! Its harder on me now at 42 yrs! I mainly use it for desert rides( Baja, Nevada). Are there rides where the gals meet? I have been riding w/ the guys for years, it would be great to ride w/ some women for a change!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
A lot of us got together in Reno last year. There were men and women both, and we had a great time. We're thinking about a late summer/early fall Oregon dunes trip to Florence. Steve and I have been planning it for a long time, and the more the merrier. We haven't actually picked a weekend yet though. Where is Napa? North or south? How far would south Oregon be for you?

I think that, after a year on a XR 200, I am stuck on two-strokes now. I love my KTM and if I had the money I'd have a 125 (I dunno which one, I liked both the YZ and the RM I rode) too for track riding. I don't do a whole lot of it but I'd like to practice a lot more. I can lift my KTM without effort and I like that. I looked at a KDX and almost bought one but at the last minute decided to go with the orange one. I figured the KTM was worth the extra since it already had all the goodies most people buy afterwards for their bikes, and my pickup is paid for so I went for it. I am glad I did--you should try a KTM! THey're great. I love mine. Some things I need to do still are a lighter shock spring and lighter clutch springs too; the hydraulic clutch has a pretty stiff pull.

Anyway, think about Florence in the next month or two, and maybe we'll travel to the land of the sun this winter when all we have is rain and mud.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Okay GSR, when did you go look in my barn? Geez, I like to keep a few in stock in case I have to break out a new sticker for the CR!!! :p

I think a couple of em escaped though because my hound dog was baying like crazy the other night! :o

Had to go back and see what I was doing back then and everything is still the same except for the CR500. I actually rode the KLX last weekend and, I'll keep myCR (I may even have the KLX sold finally)!!

This is my 3rd season riding and my 2nd season on my CR500.

I'll stick to the woods, would love to try the dunes - Florence in late August or mid September sounds GREAT!! My son is already lobbying for a paddle on the CR80E.

Still haven't been on a real track, except for a portion of the harescramble. I would like to get a 250 to try on the track though. Since my 1st attempt at air was sooooo fun I'd like to try it on something a bit lighter and go BIGGER!! :scream:

Welcome to all the new ladies!! Nothing against you youngsters but it's nice to find some more old ladies in here (I'm 37 myself!)

Mudmaiden, sorry to hear about the big D, went through that a couple years ago. Then there was the split from the KX500 (rider not bike ;)) where I learned how great this place is for info AND support.

I ride with the guys most of the time too but have a couple gals that join us and that is always more fun. The Reno ride was great. We need another gal get together. Time for a thread on Florence in the Organized Rides forum I think!

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Hi again,
bbbom, you must have some big cahuna's (I dont know if girls have those) to be riding a CR500, good for you!! I tried one of those once and it was a hand full! F. cracker, I am Napa California, about 60 miles north of San Francisco. Its were all them yummy wines are from. I would be into the oregon ride, fall would be better, I am getting alot of overtime at work right now. Just so ya know, I have no animosity towords the guys,,, its just I never see any women riders. Well, I have seen some , but usaully there on small bikes and more didicated to staying in camp with the kids. I have always riden with boyfriends or husband and the guys, so to be able to also have some chicks around to ride and bond with s , would be tooo cool! Whats the reno ride about? I love any chance to go to Nevada. I recently had one of the best rides of my life starting at lake Pirymid (spell?), and going to the Oregon border and back. No fences, wild horses, hill climbs, and wide, wide open spaces. Plus the wild flowers were in abundance, even the guys were held in awe! Please excuse any misspells, spell ck not working!

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
bbbom,
I just went to your photo page- thanks for sharing! You obviously get out of camp, and I am asumming their your daughters, ( the 2 cuties that are riders) and have got them riding too! I need to print those pics up to show the moms I know, to get them motivated!:)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The Reno trip was a blast. I suggested that all the west coast ladies go to Reno in February to meet and hang out. I lived in north Idaho at the time and thought it was a great way to get out of the snow and assuage the cabin fever; I was also single at the time and thought "Screw Valentine's day, let's go riding!" So we all trekked down there, a couple from Illinois, a few of us northwest gals, and some from CA, ID and LoriKTM flew in from New York. It was a blast.

As far as Florence goes, August has a lot of rides and races for us so September would be better. SL99, we'll figure something out. Maybe I'll head over there instead of racing for the Labor Day weekend. We'll see.

Top Bottom