KX250MiRider

May 26, 2004
Thanks to UP Sandstormers/Volunteers

I just want to thank everyone who worked and put on this event. Although this was my first Enduro and I was one of the DNF's I had a great time. That trail was hard-core. Thanks to Camp Choas/Camp KTM. Nice meeting you Team Frog and your buddy Mike. I deffinatly plan on taking on the Loose Moos e again next year, just have to plan my preparation a little different. This year I just used a wood stick to have someone beat me with the week before, next year I will have them use a metal bat. ;)

TeamFrog

May 21, 2004
KX250MiRider said:
Nice meeting you Team Frog and your buddy Mike.

Likewise. It was great meeting and talking to you and CR250R@Winters. You guys are a riot. :laugh: We'll have to hook up and ride sometime.

Jeff

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am finally back home after the Moose. I had the week after off work, so we stayed around the area - just got home late yesterday.

I have to second the thanks to Magoo, Nick, Walt...all the SandStormers! I thought they did a great job! The arrowing was great - not to much an issue when you are on a late (and getting later) minute though. The trail was a real butt kicker! I am sure none of them hoped for the temps to be like they were. I think they made a huge effort to make the event much more C rider friendly than in the past - and I think it really would have been had it not been for the heat. When you see that only 56% of the A/AA riders finished - I am not to embarrased with my results!

I really thought this year was going to be the year that I finally actually finished this event without houring out. It was not to be! That washed out hill in the first section (Nick and another Sandstormer referred to that area as "Vietnam" - I see why!) cost me a huge amount of time - 25 minutes or more! There was at least 20 bikes backed up when I rolled in. So I waited for the carnage to clear out before making a run at it! I would wait for some riders to clear out - and just as I was ready to roll, 3 or 4 more would charge into it! Finally a guy approached me suggesting if I were to help him over, he would help me - about then KX250 and CR250 rolled in - so the 4 of us helped each other over the top - barely in the nick of time! I missed houring out by only 6 minutes!

After the first C rider gas, I was amazed to see 16 miles of snomo trail, followed by a reset. I was glad to have had it though as we headed into the moon rocks. Early on I felt real good in the rocks. Then I got stupid :bang: picked a couple bad lines, got hung up out in the sun. I dont know if i really "blacked out" (fainted sounds to sissy of a word though?!)...but at a minimum I got rather light headed and over heated. I went on about another mile or two. It was at this point I evidently passed Smit Dog - sorry i did not see you Bill! I would gladly have given you a spark plug!

Before long I stopped to wait for a couple riders hung up on a a rock hill to clear out and it happened again. The Heat had won. At this point I still had ample time to burn before houring out so I decided I needed to take it easy for a few minutes. I felt much better in about 10 minutes - toyed with going on (I still had some time to burn). I glanced at my route sheet and decided there was NO WAY i could get to the next check without houring out. So I sat back down and relaxed. Now I wish I had looked over my route sheet better though. I think I miss read it - not sure what I did, but when I looked at it I think I read the mileage AFTER the upcoming reset (88 miles) not the mileage before (76 I think). I was at around 72 miles. Had I realized I only had 3 or so miles to the next check, I would have went on. Oh well - lesson learned.

Eventually I noticed some bikes buzz by on a two track off through the woods (only a few hundred yards away). Soon enough a couple other riders pulled up and we headed out - two or three others joined in before long looking for the easy way out. We got back to what was the last check in the AA section. We waited to see Lafferty, Hatch, Lykee etc finish the event - (boy them guys looked beat!), then rode back to the pits.

In the couple days after the race I had a chance to ride some of the trail at a mellow play ride pace, and to take the wife and kids out in the Jeep to see some of it. Their reaction was disappointing - "gee this dont look so tough".... it sure looks different on foot or at a slow pace. I find seeing it that way has "demystified" it for me...no longer seems so tough to me either! (we will see about that!)

KX and CR - your gas can is here in my garage. Come pick it up and we can ride! KX I have an aluminum bat you can borrow for conditioning next year. Team Frog - you da man! Only your second event, first Moose - and you grab a second place. You are on your way to B class! Smit Dog - I will carry a spare plug for you next year - and I promise I will stop!

Next Year....that will be the one for me.... (even if it isnt, I will be back!)

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Hey KTMMike
Thanks for grabbing our gas for us. When do you want to ride? I was thinking of hooking up with the guys at Tomahawk this weeked for awhile. I need to run to Luzerne sometime to pick up a new toy sometime this week or weekend, so a little ride could be worked in there as well. Let me know your availablitiy.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike - I am hoping to get out for a ride this weekend if i can. But i suddenly figured out that I did not have another weekend between now and my anniversary! (Sheila is very forgiving...but there is a limit!) I really thought I had another weekend in between! Oh well. Tonight we will be pinning down our plans - I very may still be riding.

My email at home is down right now (hard drive crash). Give me a call 785-2974 or PM me (I can at least take a peak here at work from time to time) and we can work something out.

So what is this new toy? A new scooter perhaps?

Mike

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Mike
Can you check your email at work? I am not privaledge enough to use your PM, at least that is what the puter is telling me. But I do have your email. Unfortunately the new toy is not a scooter per say. It is a new quad though. Of course only for hauling firewood out of the woods.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
CR250R@WINTERS said:
Mike
Can you check your email at work? I am not privaledge enough to use your PM, at least that is what the puter is telling me. But I do have your email. Unfortunately the new toy is not a scooter per say. It is a new quad though. Of course only for hauling firewood out of the woods.

Mike - cant get my home account here - but you can email me here at mstephenson (AT) comcaring.org

Now there is an easy solution to that PM issue! (Paying) Membership has it's priviledges! Its cheap and well worth it! After all, you would never of had the distinct pleasure of meeting me! (hey just the grass track time back in June was worth 12 bucks!) :nener:

Top Bottom