"O" ring or non "O" ring chain?

"O" ring or non "O" ring style chain?

• Total voters

dustinabax

Apr 23, 2004
I would definately go with the X-ring or O-ring the may cost a little more but it will be better in the long run last longer and less work

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Renthal R1 works chain (non-oring)

no stretch, (2 good rides) looks nice, cheap, no rust. Gotta keep it clean and lubed (lightly). I have a feeling I'll have this chain for awhile, and it's nice not having to worry about the rings as far as what I use to clean it.

I believe for practical purposes an o-ring is better, but the width and masterlink are a PIA. I will go with an o-ring after this one, but with a rivet masterlink.

One point I'm pondering here (Jaybird), proper adjustment is crucial, yet as you've stated in prior posts, chains are really not meant for dirtbikes with their sprocket sizes.

How can you really have proper tension/play on a machine that is constantly changing the tension??????

Only adjusting for the longest spread leaves the chain too loose (ideally) otherwise. Thus reducing chain life. And why is it that o-rings just don't seem to stretch anywhere near as quickly as non-o. I guess the answer would be proper lubing.

Well I'm giving it my best shot as far as cleaning and lubing and I'm excited as to what the results will be. It would be nice to run a non-o at feasible/comparable cost as the o-ring.

Joe Chief

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Chains are meant for any sprocket as long as it's the proper sprocket for that chain.
Chain tension is in relationship to the shaft centers, not sprocket diameters.

You want to adjust your chain when it is in the tightest possible position.
Yes, it does allow the chain to be looser than what proper chain tension should be when the shock is not compressed, but that is why we have chain rollers, guides, and sliders.
If you adjust it properly, keep it cleaned and well lubed, you will have zero problems.

It IS nice to run lesser cost standard chains with far fewer problems and longer life. :)

Show me a person who has problems with their chains and sprockets and I'll show you someone who missed at least one point of proper chain/sprocket care.
Some folks choose to neglect proper maint. and accept the costs that they incur as a result..and that's OK too. It's their bike.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
D.I.D. 520VM X-ring. There is none better. Expensive, but worth every penny. I used the same chain on my last two bikes ('02YZ426/'98 YZ400) with no stretching or excesive tooth wear. I used a renthal non-o-ring on my new YZ450(selling dealer talked me into it,"It's the BEST"), streched on first ride, adjusted, streched on second ride, now it's in the trash! So you lose a hp or two, I can't use all the power this bike has anyway! :thumb:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001

What kind of lubing/cleaning did you do to the renthal chain?
2 Rides seems a little hokey to me.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jaybird said:
Show me a person who has problems with their chains and sprockets and I'll show you someone who missed at least one point of proper chain/sprocket care.

:ugg:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I now have 2 non 0-ring chains hanging on the wall that stretched like rubber bands in less than 10 rides. I'll never buy another non o-ring unless I plan to ride nice dry tracks for 40 minutes at a time and then go lube them up. I presently ride in the woods through lots of mud, water, sand etc and go out for 2 and 3 day rides. I tried to take as good of care of the non o-rings as I could but it's not easy to clean 2 lbs of mud and sand off a chain between day 1 and day 2 for the average guy out camping. Miss a point of maintenance? Sure I did, but I'm going back to the land of using o-ring or x-ring with little maintenance and a couple years of reliable service.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Great points from all, thanks for the input. I've got an O ring on two or my three rides so I'll see how things turn out with the same kind of maintenance.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Jay, Have you run this test with maintenance to the ring chain? I mean lube it at the same frequency that you are lubing the non ring chain? You know some of us do lube O-ring type chains which I can only believe will make them last longer than your test of a non lubricated O'ring. What does the graph look like then? Got to be fair here.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I think the idea is that the ring chain, will eventually wear out the sealed in grease and it cannot be replenished, where the non-ring one is replenished with each lubing.

I think the main objective of lubing the ring chain is to condition the rings, provide some protection for rollers and water displacement. Am I close Jay?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I voted I have no clue even though I kind of have a clue because I run both on different bikes.

On the bike that I am meticulous about maintenance on I run a standard chain while the "daily driver" beater I run a o ring on.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Spot-on, JTT.

No, Mike I have not run a test with continued lube on the ring chain too. Althought a regular lubing does help the roller/bushing area, it is not nearly as important as the pin/bushing area. The wear that occurs between the roller and bushing is fairly low....or should I say it is distributed over more of a surface area since the roller can turn 360 degrees. It effects elongation only to a minimum.

Rings made of some materials will dry out. Especially when certain types of solvents and chemicals are placed on them. Lubing them regularly will keep them supple so they can perform as designed. It also helps to reduce the friction between the rings and plates, which is the real HP robber. Try spinning your wheel that has a ring chain that has not been lubed in a long while...then lube it and spin the wheel. You will see a big difference.

Adding lube to a ring chain cannot help the life of the chain as far as elongation from pin/bushing wear is concerned. There is nothing you can do to help that, other than keep the rings performing as they should.
You can certaily lesson the life of a ring chain by letting the rings get dirty, and using a lube that will attract grit. Ring chains are very susceptable to damage. That is why I preffer not to use them unless the conditions warrant.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It would be an interesting test don't you think?

I sold my 125 that had an O-Ring on it and I lubed it with your stuff. The chain was perfect even until I sold it. I bet if you performed that test, the lubed O-Ring would do pretty well.

BTW Jay, I love your signature. Wish I would have thought of it.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004

What exactly is your stuff. Right now im using maxima chain wax on a non o ring. Is this a good lube?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Jay's STUFF

It's awesome! :worship: I won't comment on the ChainWax, suffice to say I use Jay's stuff. :cool:

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
I am in the process of restoring my 85' CR500, I wont be riding it through the mud and water thats for sure, It will be an easy rider that I take out once in a while to stretch its legs on nice dry tracks. I was thinking about buying a Sunstar Sprocket with a ring chain. But after this whole discussion I think I have decided on a standard Chain. So where can I get some of this Jays Stuff?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
cr2504life said:
What exactly is your stuff. Right now im using maxima chain wax on a non o ring. Is this a good lube?
I use a combination of Jay's stuff and Honda (in the RED can) dry chain lube.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Whoa...information overload! The graphs are interesting, but as the old saying goes "Statistics, Statistics, and Damn Statistics!". In my practical experience, O-rings far outlast non-ring chains when all other factors are equal (i.e. equal maintenance). Sprocket life is much longer with an O-ring, and they barely stretch.

After reading this thread I've come to the realization that I must be a chronic chain abuser. I'm far too busy standing in line at Starbucks to bother tending to the insatiable needs of a fussy drivetrain. I sure do like the shiny gold Regina though. Does that make me a bad person? LOL

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
To each their own.
Some folks like to just ride. They will put their bike up wet and dirty, and drag it back out and ride the next day. That is fine.

One has to set priorities. I only provide the information I do because the fact of the matter is that if taken care of "properly" a standard roller chain will last quite well and provide good service.
I'm also biased because my buddy and I mfg and sell chain lube that makes it possible to have cheaper chains that last. So take what I provide with a grain of salt and set your own priorities.

I also hate to see racers who cry that their chains and sprockets are pure junk when it is their maintenance that is lacking, not the equipment. Of course it's hard to convince an "A" rider that anything they do is wrong...they seem to have it all pegged out. :)

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Fair enough JB. Please email me as to where I can get your chain lube. I'd love to change my evil ways.

Sean

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Shig,
You'll have to find it by backing up a few posts in this thread.
You don't list an e-mail and you've chosen not to accept PM's.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…