B

biglou

Everyone, thank you so much for all the help. I have some very good news to report. The cancer is "limited", not extended as originally thought. My mom got to come home today, and even though she has started chemo, she is still her old self. I am seriously rethinking the 8-14 months prognosis given to us last Friday. They have done a bone scan, brain mri, and several other scans, all negative. The only detectable cancer she has is a very localized area around the top of her lungs/windpipe. I have to tell you, I really had the heart torn out of me when I posted with the original prognosis, but it seems as though the outlook may not be so bleak after all. I apologize for being absent, too, but I was away from my desk all this week with inventory, and at the hospital after work. I think I am going to breathe a very cautious sigh of semi-relief, do some laundry, and get some sleep.

"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
She sounds like a strong woman Lou, it makes us all think about life, family and friends. My prayers are with you.
Roland

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Mark...I can't imagine. That has to be the toughest thing, ever. BTW, a PET (Positron Emission Tomography) is basically injecting someone with radioactive sugar and then tracking where it goes (with the assumption that tumors will use more of it than normal tissue).

Lou...push her, push her hard. It's worked for you in life and from what I know of you, she can handle this. If I don't find your number, please call me at 803-238-7909.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Lou I have been through two of those with family members and my wife's dad is going through it right now, so lean as much as you need. My prayers will be with you and your family.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Lou , glad to her the news is a little better, hang in there and lean on the DRN crew as much as needed, as everyone alreadysaid. I went through this with my dad, keep the faith.

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Lou -

Glad to hear things are looking up for your mom. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. My sister in law just beat breast cancer, and I know how hard it can be to watch a loved one go thru this. If you need anything, let me know. Please keep us updated, and send her our love.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Lou I'm so glad to hear things are looking up. Keep your head up, I'm here if you need a shoulder to lean on.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Lou,
You and your family are in my prayers. From you last post things sound better, hang in there, as you know there are many folks here that are your extended family.

Tim

B

biglou

Mom lost her battle this morning at 2:15 AM. The complications from her treatment finally got the best of her. It was her will that she not be sustained by any artificial means, and she was very clear about that right up to the end. I will say that I am so relieved that she is free of her pain. There were no words left unspoken before she left. She knew we loved her, and that we would be alright. She left in total comfort, surrounded by many friends and family. She was truly blessed to have so many with her in her last hours. In lieu of flowers, we are asking that donations be made to the Heart or Cancer Institutes at Saint Luke's Hospital, KCMO. Not sure of address yet, but website is www.saint-lukes.org I'll post a mailing address in the next day or so.

I wish to extend a tremendous thank you to my extended DRN family for the unbelievable amount of support I and my family have received from you all. You helped us shoulder the load more than I can tell you. God bless you all.

Louis.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Lou, I'm so sorry for your loss. If there is anything, you know I'll help. Having lost a brother to cancer I know the relief one feels when your loved one is not in pain any longer. Although helps it there is still a void that takes time to fill in but, never completely full. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry Lou. I wish you the best in the next few days as they will be tough. Hang in there and we're here for you.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lou:

May the Lord comfort you and your family in your time of loss. :whiner:

As you said, your mother is free of the pain and that is good and it sounds like you all achieved closure, which is very good.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
biglou said:
There were no words left unspoken before she left. She knew we loved her, and that we would be alright.

There is no greater comfort for your mom, you and your family, then being able to use those last weeks, days and moments to reinforce the love that you all share for one another. That will be a comfort to you for the rest of your life.

Take care my brother, if you need anything please let me know.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh Louis, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how very close you are to your parents. :whiner: If there is anything we can do please don't hesitate to ask, we are only 3.5 hours away (If I'm driving). Call us if you need anything at all okay.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
:whiner:

I don't have many words. I truly admire the strength you displayed when we were there Friday and Saturday.

I thought about you and your mom all the way back to Iowa.

Peace be with you, my good friend.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Sorry to hear that Lou. You said it best though. She will suffer no more and is in a better place. Its good to know that she was surrounded by love and everything that needed to get said, did. I too hope the pain of her loss leaves you soon and you are only left with memories of the good times in life.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Lou -

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to you and yours. I know that these are mere words, but just know that they are backed in gold.

Rest your troubled mind and heart in God's love and know that He has called one of his children home.

-jeffd

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Godspeed Lou, your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Carlo

Top Bottom