"O" ring or non "O" ring style chain?

• Total voters

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
I have three rides on my Primary Drive X ring chain installed on a 04 yz250... I don't have any fitment problems, Bought one hopeing it will last a bit longer than the stock one...( not long at all mind you) plus I don't mind maintenance as I am a maintenance manager for a bakery but to tell you the truth that chain maintenance was getting to be a pain in the butt with no pay off!. I was having to readjust after every ride....then I ran out of room . I don't know about the quality of other chains but this is the third ride on mine and I don't have to adjust it yet :) As stated before I noticed the xring is a bit stiffer that the non-ringed chains.. I bought mine one link too long so when I removed the link I thought it was cool they put a wax type of lube in there or so it seems ( I did not read through this thread so sorry if this was covered before) I figure one might see where this could cause some power loss... if any when the chain is cold, but after a few laps it should be warm enough to be some what fluid in there by that time so it would be a non issue.. Jeff.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Jaybird, I think you meant to say less power transferred, not less power created.

anyway, your credibility rating just dropped way down in my book since you didn't show up at Dirtweek! :ohmy:

Your new lubricant may be great, but the reality is that most folks in this discussion don't use it.

I've caught onto another thing...people talk about cleaning chains...huh? Then it occurred to me that if you don't spray dirt attracting gunk on your chain, the dirt won't stick to it. Even mud just flies right off once dried.

for the guy who mentioned tightening the chain until there was no adjustment left and/or having to take out a link, if your sprockets aren't already trashed, they will be soon! Get a new chain now!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
motometal said:
Your new lubricant may be great, but the reality is that most folks in this discussion don't use it.

I've caught onto another thing...people talk about cleaning chains...huh? Then it occurred to me that if you don't spray dirt attracting gunk on your chain, the dirt won't stick to it. Even mud just flies right off once dried.
Wow...seems what is needed is a lubricant that can be applied easily, doesn't attract any dirt or grit, easy to clean, and performs better than any other lube on the market.
What a novel idea! :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
From what I've seen over my years of riding, the key is something that (as Jay said) isn't sticky. The old stuff from the 80's was really sticky and attracted everything. No wonder we went through chains so fast.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
James said:
I did the same routine on my stock chains as you Elk and I had to adjust them all of the time. I use O-ring (x-ring) chains now and usually adjust them after the first couple rides and that is it....no more issues with stretching. I usually end up replacing them when the links are severely flattened.

Same here

kevlan

Dec 14, 2004
Z ring

The latest offerring from RK is the Z ring chain. Claims to keep the lube in even better than X ring and outlast everything.

It also comes in a variety of colours and costs more! lol

Phydeaux

Jan 10, 2005
I run an x-ring for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm lazy, and, . . . OK for one reason. Plus, the YZ400F doesn't exactly have a shortage of HP. I'm amazed at how it seems to be holding up. If stretch is a primary indication of wear then this one isn't wearing at all. The sprockets still look great, too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
xr250r1922 said:
i get free jap chain from my dad. he gets it from where he works. it sucks, but when it stretches i throw a new one on.... :) :cool: :yikes:
I used to do the same thing and replaced after every 2-3 rides until it snapped one time and cracked the cases. Now I only buy the good stuff.

FoxRacer250

Dec 21, 2004
Z-Ring

Now whats different with the z-ring chains? i need a new chain. its the Regina 520 ZRH Z-Ring Chain. i dont know what the difference is. i guess its more durabile. :think:

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
ya. i just replaced my stock chain with an "O" ring chain on my quad. because one day i was riding around our field and i started hearing a noise like something was flopping around in the tranny. then as i was parking it i heard a knock in the engine.... and i asked my dad what it was, and he said the chain was slipping so the next day i ripped it apart and found out that the chain was not slipping (thank god) but the front/rear sprockets were warn and it was stretched out as far as it could go and the chain had about 2-3 inches of slack in it. so i bought an O ring chain and front/rear sprockets. it sounds like i might still have a knockign sound in the engine but im hoping it will go away. and the quad is for sale too. so im hoping i sell it bfore i have to rip it apart and spend more on the piece.

CR250man911

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 10, 2005
What is the difference between an X-ring and an O-ring. I have an X-ring on my bike, at least thats what they guy said that sold the bike to me.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
On an X ring chain, the little rubber washer that keeps the lube inside the links is shaped like an X instead of an O. It's shaped like an X if you cut are looking at a cross section of it. It is still round in shape to go over the pin. It works pretty good. I have an RK X ring chain and it is holding up great. I had to make a slight adjustment on it after the initial break in, but after 5 hard races and a LOT of riding since, I haven't had to make any adjustments due to chain stretch! I pretty much neglect the chain too. I might lube it every once in a while, but this thing is great! Matt

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
i am using a RK 520KZU o ring chain right now with great results.it is slightly thinner than a standard 0 or X ring chain.a buddy of mine turned me on to them when his o ring chain was cutting into the cases of his crf450.this chain fixes that without having to use a spacer like the one from fastway... :cool:
and it lasts a very long time with minimal maint.... :yeehaw:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
FoxRacer250 said:
Now whats different with the z-ring chains? i need a new chain. its the Regina 520 ZRH Z-Ring Chain. i dont know what the difference is. i guess its more durabile. :think:

The story on the Z-Ring, It doesn't have any Z shaped components, just designed in France. When the prints were handed over to the Manufacturer (American) they were told they were for the chain, but mispronounced "Z CHAIN". You know with the french accent. Just a simple case of poor communication. I'm not sure if it's true, but everyone around here thinks that is the real story. Go figure. :coocoo:

Chief

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Update:

Still the stock chain on the 01 Suzuki RM 250 with stock sprockets. It's getting stretched out but still clean and working fine. Same with the stock one on the 450 and O ring one on the 250X. We'll have to see what plays out here, WD-40 stocked up in the garage.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I still have the stock o-ring chain. When I have to replace it, I will use the same. They say o-ring chains last a lot longer if you ride trails.

P.S. The chopper has a belt drive! 0 UP-KEEP! :laugh:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Chief said:
My Q U A D is shaft drive :nener:
most quads are the same without the word drive afterwords :moon: jk'ing

now go clear some brush or haul some leaves with your fast tractor :p

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
You Got A Deal Bud

I'll use my 'FAST TRACTOR' for work AND play now.

For my end of the deal;
Use your 'BICYCLE' to plow snow this winter. (I'll be out riding)

HAVE FUN

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BDAY

Feb 16, 2005
i use an o-ring. i don't see any lack of power compared to my friends bike and his is a piped 01 kx 125 w/ a non-ring chain. ill stick with the o-ring i have seen virtually no wear this year.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
i had installed an O-ring in 2002 and am now just changing the sprokets/chain. I adjusted the chain maybe 2-3 times total over that time, just the sprokets are wearing out.
This time I went to a standard chain from the advice that an "O-ring chain robs power". I have no idea if this is true or not, but decided to go back to the normal chain.
Question. Can I soak this old O-ring chain in something to "loosen it up more". I have always used chain lubes on it, but it is pretty stiff. I dont think soaking it in kerosene would be a good idea for the o rings. any suggestions besides spraying wd40 all over it. I want to keep it as a spare/backup chain.

Top Bottom